Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
Oct 20, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #1,487 of 1,768
Does the ‘gd’ in Audio-gd stand for goddamned ? Too many … ‘moving parts’… downloads needed.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #1,488 of 1,768
Does the ‘gd’ in Audio-gd stand for goddamned ? Too many … ‘moving parts’… downloads needed.
You can't have it both ways. Either you're happy with new features and refinements in the audio and you tolerate having to reflash to get that, or you stay on your firmware.

Most of the time you never have to download anything but the ASIO driver set for Windows.

Nov 7, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #1,489 of 1,768
I have taken order of the R-28 NOS and I expect it to arrive within the month. I can offer impressions and comparisons but I'm not really a gear hoarder so there won't be much to compare it against, only the original R2R-11 and Fiio BTR7 in direct comparison (Musician Aquarius and Chord Qutest both fed to a Burson Soloist 3XP from memory). I've noticed there was some debate here about the input isolation on this new model so I can compare optical and I²S from the Musician Phoenix and USB straight from the computer for people if it's of any value.

Nov 7, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #1,490 of 1,768
I have taken order of the R-28 NOS and I expect it to arrive within the month. I can offer impressions and comparisons but I'm not really a gear hoarder so there won't be much to compare it against, only the original R2R-11 and Fiio BTR7 in direct comparison (Musician Aquarius and Chord Qutest both fed to a Burson Soloist 3XP from memory). I've noticed there was some debate here about the input isolation on this new model so I can compare optical and I²S from the Musician Phoenix and USB straight from the computer for people if it's of any value.
Sure and welcome :)

R2R-11 vs R-28 NOS, Whow!!!

While waiting for the arrival, can you describe a difference between R2R-11 and other DACs and why you have decided on R-28 in first place? Do you use ground loop redirectors like Ifi Defender? NOS model should sound more consistent, R2R-11 is has humours, like a wife. It needs a constant love. LOL

Did you try coax with R2R-11?

Nov 9, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #1,491 of 1,768
Big step up I know. The reason I wasn't disappointed to go back to the R2R-11 after having owned a DAC only that was 8-9x more expensive was because the R2R-11 has this 'tactility' that the Aquarius just never gave me. The Aquarius was very detailed and spacious, but it never gave me that last bit of believability. The NOS mode on it never seemed as analogue as the R2R-11 - that is, comparing them both being fed by the Musician Phoenix. In fact the Phoenix, which gave the Aquarius the fullness that it sorely needed, makes the R2R-11 have great bass! As well as great timing from the OXCO (which I think is very important for R2R DACs, and especially important for ones that are [truely] NOS).

The Qutest was great fun, perhaps I would have kept it if I hadn't had the Soloist with it. I later found that that amp had this annoying thing in the upper treble, even after getting the better power supply and swapping to sparkos op amps. The Qutest would probably be a great secondary DAC to the R28 NOS, as its party piece was separation and I've found that NOS R2R DACs generally trade separation for timbre when compared to D/S DACs. It also had great slam with the sBooster ultra linear power supply, but I have a strong feeling that I'll get that when the R28 NOS has burned in and is being fed by the Phoenix.

So now I just want a unit that sounds like an R2R-11, but better! And power to run HE6se v2 would be great. One thing that I hope for however, is that the R28 NOS gets rid of that final bit of treble harshness through its clean power and fully balanced DAC boards. That's something that the Phoenix doesn't help with because, I think, the better timing can bring extra treble information which can be harsh if the power supply isn't clean. But basically yes, consistency is what I'm hoping for. I noticed that the R2R-11 sounded great at some times and not as good at others. I think this is to do with power because of the fact that if I had a lamp on the same socket I would hear when it was switched on! Are these the humours you're talking about?

I do use a USB isolator but it's not the iDefender, it's the original jitterbug into an intona galvanic isolator. It's a bit belt and braces but it's coming from a gaming PC which is on a separate power outlet. I have found that it makes a difference where the jitterbug is placed. It sounds harsher into the PC than into the intona box.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #1,492 of 1,768
Big step up I know. The reason I wasn't disappointed to back to the R2R-11 after having owned a DAC only that was 8-9x more expensive was because the R2R-11 has this 'tactility' that the Aquarius just never gave me. The Aquarius was very detailed and spacious, but it never gave me that last bit of believability. The NOS mode on it never seemed as analogue as the R2R-11 - that is, comparing them both being fed by the Musician Phoenix. In fact the Phoenix, which gave the Aquarius the fullness that it sorely needed, makes the R2R-11 have great bass! As well as great timing from the OXCO (which I think is very important for R2R DACs, and especially important for ones that are [truely] NOS).

The Qutest was great fun, perhaps I would have kept it if I hadn't had the Soloist with it. I later found that that amp had this annoying thing in the upper treble, even after getting the better power supply and swapping to sparkos op amps. The Qutest would probably be a great secondary DAC to the R28 NOS, as its party piece was separation and I've found that NOS R2R DACs generally trade separation for timbre when compared to D/S DACs. It also had great slam with the sBooster ultra linear power supply, but I have a strong feeling that I'll get that when the R28 NOS has burned in and is being fed by the Phoenix.

So now I just want a unit that sounds like an R2R-11, but better! And power to run HE6se v2 would be great. One thing that I hope for however, is that the R28 NOS gets rid of that final bit of treble harshness through its clean power and fully balanced DAC boards. That's something that the Phoenix doesn't help with because, I think, the better timing can bring extra treble information which can be harsh if the power supply isn't clean. But basically yes, consistency is what I'm hoping for. I noticed that the R2R-11 sounded great at some times and not as good at others. I think this is to do with power because of the fact that if I had a lamp on the same socket I would hear when it was switched on! Are these the humours you're talking about?

I do use a USB isolator but it's not the iDefender, it's the original jitterbug into an intona galvanic isolator. It's a bit belt and braces but it's coming from a gaming PC which is on a separate power outlet. I have found that it makes a difference where the jitterbug is placed. It sounds harsher into the PC than into the intona box.
You want better R2R-11, the cheapest way is to upgrade clocks on the Amanero USB board, it is what I did. If you don't own a DAC, it is out of question. Upgrading clocks makes R2R-11 even more sensitive to the clean power, our ears become more sensitive to the mains noise.

Having Intona in a chain is very good, I was talking about a minimal setup, as this DAC needs a clean USB source.

Back to the topic, the best suggestion would be a second-hand R-1/R-28 2021 or 2022 model. It also has a pure NOS mode. In the more expensive range there are options for the regenerative power supply, all depends how much money you want to spend.

I think powering PC from a separate outlet is not a good idea. USB isolator is helping, but maybe not sufficient. Better use the same power outlet and take attention to grounding.

Nov 10, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #1,493 of 1,768
You want better R2R-11, the cheapest way is to upgrade clocks on the Amanero USB board, it is what I did. If you don't own a DAC, it is out of question. Upgrading clocks makes R2R-11 even more sensitive to the clean power, our ears become more sensitive to the mains noise.

Having Intona in a chain is very good, I was talking about a minimal setup, as this DAC needs a clean USB source.

Back to the topic, the best suggestion would be a second-hand R-1/R-28 2021 or 2022 model. It also has a pure NOS mode. In the more expensive range there are options for the regenerative power supply, all depends how much money you want to spend.

I think powering PC from a separate outlet is not a good idea. USB isolator is helping, but maybe not sufficient. Better use the same power outlet and take attention to grounding.
I'm sorry I don't understand the point of your 1st and 2nd paragraphs? I've already spent the money and it's landed at the house - although I'm not there currently to start burning it in - so I'm not going to get a second hand R-1 or R-28 2021/2022 and I'm almost certainly not going to fiddle around replacing clocks on the old R2R-11. Jos at MagnaHifi, who is extremely friendly and helpful, said it would basically be the upgrade I'm looking for, especially since, like I said, I want balanced for the power to comfortably drive HE-6se v2 from it.

Maybe the reason you mention alternatives is because of the discussion earlier in this thread about the R-28 NOS potential shortcomings? Do you feel there are any of substance?

As for your last paragraph, why is it a bad idea to use a separate outlet? What would be sufficient for USB isolation? How would you take attention to grounding? It seems to me that you would want audio gear on as separate a power line as possible to avoid pollution from other appliances, like gaming computers.

Nov 10, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #1,494 of 1,768
I'm sorry I don't understand the point of your 1st and 2nd paragraphs? I've already spent the money and it's landed at the house - although I'm not there currently to start burning it in - so I'm not going to get a second hand R-1 or R-28 2021/2022 and I'm almost certainly not going to fiddle around replacing clocks on the old R2R-11. Jos at MagnaHifi, who is extremely friendly and helpful, said it would basically be the upgrade I'm looking for, especially since, like I said, I want balanced for the power to comfortably drive HE-6se v2 from it.

Maybe the reason you mention alternatives is because of the discussion earlier in this thread about the R-28 NOS potential shortcomings? Do you feel there are any of substance?

As for your last paragraph, why is it a bad idea to use a separate outlet? What would be sufficient for USB isolation? How would you take attention to grounding? It seems to me that you would want audio gear on as separate a power line as possible to avoid pollution from other appliances, like gaming computers.
I don't know what you have ordered, still don't know from your latest post. All I know you were testing R2R-11 against other DACs. I am poor on guessing, having just basic English education. If you have presented half-thoughts, it is likely not getting through to me, sorry, for future know my deficiency.

I was answering a question what would be a better R2R-11. If you have ordered already, you are obviously wasting your time reading my syggestions.

Regarding powering from the same outlet it is my suggestion indeed. Getting clicks when you switch a light is not a small interference. The other things, gaming PC is very noisy, I do recommend a low powered laptop or NUC. But there are other users using gaming PC, contact @OCC7N, he will give advice to the low-noise power supply and grounding. Hope this will help.

Dec 15, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #1,495 of 1,768
I´ve tested the new R28 NOS DAC for 1 week.
At first I was worried about the missing FPGA chip, but this thing sounds amazing - wide, cohesive and real, with incredible note weight and it´s build like a russian T14 tank for all eternity.
It´s endgame for me and i´m 100% sure that the R28 will be with me for many years to come.
The build in HP Amp is max. a 7/10 but the DAC is wonderful.
I'm sure there are DAC´s that sound different, but definitely not worlds better than the R28.

Gladly sold my Gustard R26 and the RME adi2 for it.I don´t need the mediocre Streamer and i hate the poorly made connections of the R26, especially the extreme cheap made USB port and the RME, technically wise impressive but sucks for music enjoyment.

If you have a chance, give this thing a listen.

Dec 15, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #1,496 of 1,768
At first I was worried about the missing FPGA chip, but this thing sounds amazing - wide, cohesive and real, with incredible note weight and it´s build like a russian T14 tank for all eternity.
It´s endgame for me and i´m 100% sure that the R28 will be with me for many years to come.
I'm sure there are DAC´s that sound different, but definitely not worlds better than the R28.

I love my R28 too, but I keep thinking how much better the R8 or R7 DAC would be...

Thinking about selling my R28 and replacing it with the R27 RE or the R8 HE MK3.

Dec 15, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #1,497 of 1,768

Gladly sold my Gustard R26 and the RME adi2 for it.I don´t need the mediocre Streamer and i hate the poorly made connections of the R26, especially the extreme cheap made USB port and the RME, technically wise impressive but sucks for music enjoyment.

Curious on your pro/con thoughts of HP amp out of this and hoping the voices are not pushed too forward but mix well with rest of the soundstage from both DAC output and HP out?

Dec 15, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #1,498 of 1,768

Kingwa always overbuilds his products. Most other OEMs would sell the R28 MK2 for $2000 or more. It is that good. But, Kingwa keeps his pricing fair and absolutely nails the components. I agree the DAC is better than the amp, but the collective whole is a great AIO. One that is worth far more than MSRP. Congrats on your new toy. Enjoy!

Dec 15, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #1,499 of 1,768
I listen to some old recorded music Cd's from 70/80 era that have bits of poor recording here an there, my current SMSL Su9n DAC is very unforgiving on some of these tracks particularly where treble comes into play to my ears, Curious would R-28 NOS be a bit forgiving given the R2R analog sound nature?

Dec 15, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #1,500 of 1,768
I listen to some old recorded music Cd's from 70/80 era that have bits of poor recording here an there, my current SMSL Su9n DAC is very unforgiving on some of these tracks particularly where treble comes into play to my ears, Curious would R-28 NOS be a bit forgiving given the R2R analog sound nature?
In a nutshell, yes! If you are an objectivist, the R28 will not pass the ASR cult stamp of approval as most R2R DACs don't measure to the same level as ESS DACs. However, A SNR of 120 is beyond human hearing. They show THD at .03%, which is way higher than most SMSL or Topping DACs. That being said, is it the good kind of distortion or the bad kind? Knowing Kingwa, it is the good kind and the DAC will perform admirably. It will be softer, more musical, slam harder and have better PRaT. But, it won't measure as well as your SMSL. Potato/Potata!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back