Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
Dec 15, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #1,501 of 1,787
Curious would R-28 NOS be a bit forgiving given the R2R analog sound nature?
Yes, it does. NOS DAC specifically, backed up by non-feedback discrete amp. Any Audio GD R2R DAC. I rediscovered my old CD's after getting R2R-11.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #1,502 of 1,787
In a nutshell, yes! If you are an objectivist, the R28 will not pass the ASR cult stamp of approval as most R2R DACs don't measure to the same level as ESS DACs. However, A SNR of 120 is beyond human hearing. They show THD at .03%, which is way higher than most SMSL or Topping DACs. That being said, is it the good kind of distortion or the bad kind? Knowing Kingwa, it is the good kind and the DAC will perform admirably. It will be softer, more musical, slam harder and have better PRaT. But, it won't measure as well as your SMSL. Potato/Potata!
Thx, not too much into the measurement bandwagon as per say, I have the current ESS DAC mostly due to affordability and a bit before I discovered the R2R benefits. I prefer detailed sound but with smoother treble, a bit thick (non shouty/thin) vocals and good bass which I call warm sound for long listening sessions and R28 might be a good AIO option. My headphones are dynamic low impedance (24 to 70 Ohms) with 102db sensitivity so don't need lot of power as per say. I also switch between speakers and headphones so R28 meets that preamp aspects as well when needed to control gain.

Dec 15, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #1,503 of 1,787
In a nutshell, yes! If you are an objectivist, the R28 will not pass the ASR cult stamp of approval as most R2R DACs don't measure to the same level as ESS DACs. However, A SNR of 120 is beyond human hearing. They show THD at .03%, which is way higher than most SMSL or Topping DACs. That being said, is it the good kind of distortion or the bad kind? Knowing Kingwa, it is the good kind and the DAC will perform admirably. It will be softer, more musical, slam harder and have better PRaT. But, it won't measure as well as your SMSL. Potato/Potata!
Also, I think it would be worth it to invest in one of their DDCs and use the R28 through the I2S. In my testing of this product, the best sound came from my Denafrips Iris and the R28's I2S. I think Kingwa's DDCs are even better.

Dec 15, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #1,504 of 1,787
Thx, not too much into the measurement bandwagon as per say, I have the current ESS DAC mostly due to affordability and a bit before I discovered the R2R benefits. I prefer detailed sound but with smoother treble, a bit thick (non shouty/thin) vocals and good bass which I call warm sound for long listening sessions and R28 might be a good AIO option. My headphones are dynamic low impedance (24 to 70 Ohms) with 102db sensitivity so don't need lot of power as per say. I also switch between speakers and headphones so R28 meets that preamp aspects as well when needed to control gain.
Sounds like a winner. You will get to know the R2's low gain quite well at those sensitivity levels. The amp has a lot of power. I remember it being quite quiet though.

Dec 15, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #1,505 of 1,787
As always, thank you Jonathan.

Dec 15, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #1,506 of 1,787
Also, I think it would be worth it to invest in one of their DDCs and use the R28 through the I2S. In my testing of this product, the best sound came from my Denafrips Iris and the R28's I2S. I think Kingwa's DDCs are even better.
The NOS version of the amp has galvanic isolation on all digital inputs incl. I2S, so i´m not sure whether it's worth the investment for a DCC.
What do you think?

Dec 15, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #1,507 of 1,787
The NOS version of the amp has galvanic isolation on all digital inputs incl. I2S, so i´m not sure whether it's worth the investment for a DCC.
What do you think?
Give it a chance, you may be surprised.
My R28 and R8He benefit greatly from the addition of the Di20He. To the point that I would rate the Di20He has the highest price/performance ratio in my whole system.

Dec 16, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #1,508 of 1,787
Give it a chance, you may be surprised.
My R28 and R8He benefit greatly from the addition of the Di20He. To the point that I would rate the Di20He has the highest price/performance ratio in my whole system.
I don't know with the R1 NOS, but the di20he transforms the r2r 11mkii into a 2K+ dac.

Dec 16, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #1,511 of 1,787
Seasons greetings head-fiers..Anyone looking for a gently used 2022 version give me a shout...MAJOR downsizing...

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #1,512 of 1,787
What do you think?
It is a personal preference. I used the R28 USB with a USBe Perfect USB cleaner and re-clocker to great results. But, I also tried the I2S with a Denafrips iris and found the sound to be quite fantastic. I can't honestly answer which is better or what one should do. I try not to make those decisions for others, but will certainly give advice based on my experience. I always used the USB with my USB cleaner.

Dec 19, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #1,515 of 1,787
Quick question on setting up for R28 2022 in windows 10 to connect my laptop via USB and Spotify streaming...

I do need to install Amanero drivers (http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/Amanero/AmaneroEN.htm)

Anything else I need to do in Windows 10 for Spotify to use these drivers or it is all set?
There options available, asio, wasapi and perhaps others. So you need to configure either Spotify or Windows. I would not know where to go but it is the same as for any usb device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back