Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
Oct 25, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #1,366 of 1,641
Hi lads wondering if anyone can advise me on something out of the blue. I don't have the thread's amp in question but the old pheonix. I'm wondering regarding operational temps, would it be prudent for longevity to place it on top of an audio gd dac that also generate some heat? Please see photo.

I know it is quite wierd and out of the blue. I've just never did this config before and paranoia is getting the better of me.

Audio dac and amp.jpeg

Appreciate any help

Oct 25, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #1,367 of 1,641
Hi lads wondering if anyone can advise me on something out of the blue. I don't have the thread's amp in question but the old pheonix. I'm wondering regarding operational temps, would it be prudent for longevity to place it on top of an audio gd dac that also generate some heat? Please see photo.

I know it is quite wierd and out of the blue. I've just never did this config before and paranoia is getting the better of me.

Audio dac and amp.jpeg
Appreciate any help

Attachments

• IMG_20220922_155938.jpg
    IMG_20220922_155938.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Oct 26, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #1,368 of 1,641

Audio dac and amp.jpeg
Appreciate any help

In general although amps are heavier, since heat rises, it makes some sense to place it on top of a DAC if you have no other option.

It is likely better than frying your DAC with the heat from an amp underneath it. Best case, keep the hottest components on their own shelf with plenty of airflow.

Nov 2, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #1,370 of 1,641
So, I feel like the biggest idiot. I have been not liking the R28 the past little bit after getting it thinking it sounded dull and lifeless. 2 nights ago I realized I had the gain switch set wrong and wasn't understanding the terminology on the screen. Once I got the gain set right the R28 just opened up like a flower on a sunny day. Wow, what a beautiful sounding AIO. It is truly a wonderful product.

Dynamic, Powerful, Subtle, incredible tone, musicality and extremely detailed. Detail is significantly greater than I was expecting. I have an older unit. I believe a 2019 version with only one power supply. It sounds amazing. I can't believe how idiotic I am to not realize I had it set up wrong. It just lit up all of my synapses. For those who believe in the concept of "end game" and have a budget under $1500, do not hesitate to try the R28. For me, the concept of "end game" doesn't exist, but I am super happy to have an R28 as a 2nd system. I used to own the Burson Conductor 3XP, which is similar in cost. The R28 blows it out of the water in my humble opinion.

Nov 2, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #1,371 of 1,641
So, I feel like the biggest idiot. I have been not liking the R28 the past little bit after getting it thinking it sounded dull and lifeless. 2 nights ago I realized I had the gain switch set wrong and wasn't understanding the terminology on the screen. Once I got the gain set right the R28 just opened up like a flower on a sunny day. Wow, what a beautiful sounding AIO. It is truly a wonderful product.

Dynamic, Powerful, Subtle, incredible tone, musicality and extremely detailed. Detail is significantly greater than I was expecting. I have an older unit. I believe a 2019 version with only one power supply. It sounds amazing. I can't believe how idiotic I am to not realize I had it set up wrong. It just lit up all of my synapses. For those who believe in the concept of "end game" and have a budget under $1500, do not hesitate to try the R28. For me, the concept of "end game" doesn't exist, but I am super happy to have an R28 as a 2nd system. I used to own the Burson Conductor 3XP, which is similar in cost. The R28 blows it out of the water in my humble opinion.
Are there ‘firmware’ updates for R28 that could ^ the performance further?

Nov 2, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #1,372 of 1,641
Are there ‘firmware’ updates for R28 that could ^ the performance further?
Yes, but a total pain to do. You need jumpers and the instructions require a degree from MIT. I just went to Michigan St. not qualified to do a Audio-GD firmware update

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #1,373 of 1,641
Yes, but a total pain to do. You need jumpers and the instructions require a degree from MIT. I just went to Michigan St. not qualified to do a Audio-GD firmware update

Perhaps there is another audio-gd owner in your area who could help?

It's really not bad. You need a jtag debugger which is (was?) about 10 bucks on ebay if you didn't get one with your unit, and you need to install the flashing software and get the latest firmware from Kingwa's site. It takes longer to read about how to do it than to actually do it. In Windows 10, you probably need to disable "Core Isolation" and then reboot for the flashing software to be able to install and run. @DACLadder has helped many people with flashing instructions, software, etc.

I'm a firm believer in IIABDFI but I had a bug on an early R8 MK2 and I received a firmware fix from Kingwa and I had to reflash.

Nov 3, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #1,374 of 1,641

It's really not bad. You need a jtag debugger which is (was?) about 10 bucks on ebay if you didn't get one with your unit, and you need to install the flashing software and get the latest firmware from Kingwa's site. It takes longer to read about how to do it than to actually do it. In Windows 10, you probably need to disable "Core Isolation" and then reboot for the flashing software to be able to install and run. @DACLadder has helped many people with flashing instructions, software, etc.

I'm a firm believer in IIABDFI but I had a bug on an early R8 MK2 and I received a firmware fix from Kingwa and I had to reflash.
I have an iMac. I got the R28 from a local. I have all the stuff needed and I spoke with Kingwa and he sent me the firmware upgrade he recommends. He didn't think it would make a huge difference to the sound. Perhaps a bit with stability, but felt that it wasn't a huge deal. We'll see. I am not super worried or planning to do the firmware update right now. I don't use the R28 very often. My reference system gets the majority of my time. Plus, I have new tubes coming tomorrow that will have my full attention.

Thanks for the advice....much obliged.

Nov 3, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #1,375 of 1,641

Do you still have the R8 MK2? If so, how do you like it? I used to own the Pontus II, but I sold it. I always wanted an all black mint Exogal Comet+, and I couldn't pass it up when one came my way. I absolutely love it anchoring my chain. Especially with my Icon HP8 MK2 Signature. The sound just disappears into my amp and headphones.

Nov 3, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #1,376 of 1,641
Do you still have the R8 MK2? If so, how do you like it? I used to own the Pontus II, but I sold it. I always wanted an all black mint Exogal Comet+, and I couldn't pass it up when one came my way. I absolutely love it anchoring my chain. Especially with my Icon HP8 MK2 Signature. The sound just disappears into my amp and headphones.

I do. It's the most musical piece of gear I own, absolutely tremendous. With other pieces of gear I often have those magic moments, but this is one piece of gear where I never hear the DAC. It's the closest thing to being there that I have. I don't think the R7 HE was out when I bought this, but I'd have no hesitation spending the money now.

I'm perfectly happy with the R8 MK2. Just knowing Kingwa, and seeing the builds, I know the R7 HE is worth it.

Nov 3, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #1,377 of 1,641
I do. It's the most musical piece of gear I own, absolutely tremendous. With other pieces of gear I often have those magic moments, but this is one piece of gear where I never hear the DAC. It's the closest thing to being there that I have. I don't think the R7 HE was out when I bought this, but I'd have no hesitation spending the money now.

I'm perfectly happy with the R8 MK2. Just knowing Kingwa, and seeing the builds, I know the R7 HE is worth it.
Kingwa is the very definition of an Alchemist. He bucks all Chi-Fi trends of measure measure measure for greatest results and instead uses discrete parts, and is both technically and artistically innovative. I am now firmly in the Kingwa camp. The R28 is wonderful. I prefer my reference set up, but as an AIO I am quite pleased to use the R28 from time to time for a commercial break. :)

Nov 3, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #1,379 of 1,641
Nov 3, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #1,380 of 1,641
I use my R28 as DAC for my tube amp.
Perfect match for me!

C0FE942F-AEE0-4CDB-AA3B-EB7E462929D1.jpeg
Wow.
Funny enough, this is exactly the setup I'm aiming for my VO, besides the Vio 550Pro.

How is the difference between these 2 amps (R28 and 3A) ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back