Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
Sep 22, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #676 of 1,655
Dynaudio makes the 9s subwoofer in their pro line that does in line hi pass and low pass filtering. This will do what you want. The connection is a little different than you are thinking though.

R-28 -> 9s -> lyd 7

Thanks, I was looking into it when I researched the LYD 7... but it seemed awful expensive for just a subwoofer. I have a couple cheap HT subs lying around that I might try.

Coming back to the R28, I found that the rear preamp output is not selectable.
i.e. all output jacks on the rear of the R28 output music at the same time..be it XLR, or RCA's (I opted to change ACSS to RCA so have 2 sets).

Sep 22, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #677 of 1,655
Thanks, I was looking into it when I researched the LYD 7... but it seemed awful expensive for just a subwoofer. I have a couple cheap HT subs lying around that I might try.

Coming back to the R28, I found that the rear preamp output is not selectable.
i.e. all output jacks on the rear of the R28 output music at the same time..be it XLR, or RCA's (I opted to change ACSS to RCA so have 2 sets).
If you already have a subwoofer it makes it that much easier. There are 2 ways you can set up your subs. One, use the high level inputs on the subs, if your subs have them. This is my preferred method. You are going to get a much more consistent sound which equates to a better sounding system as a whole. Two, use RCA y-splitters off of ONE of the preamp outputs.

I wouldn't use the second preamp output in a run to your sub. You will have issues with crossing the frequencies over and have over run of frequencies which will make your setup sound bad. One other thing to think about with using two seperate preouts, you can overload your preamp section depending on the input impedance of your subs.

Sep 23, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #678 of 1,655
I wonder how the R-28 / R-1 / R2R 2 would compare to the Schiit Gugnir Multibit. My early Gumby was pretty fantastic – I enjoyed it nearly as much as my early Yggdrasil. I cannot yet afford the R2R 7HE, and I'm very close to ordering an R-28. It looks to be a tremendous value. On the other hand, the R-8 isn't all that much more dough, and I could probably sort out a good-enough-for-now preamp and headphone amp situation in the short-term if I went with the R-8. On other hand, if I knew that the Audio-gd DA-8-based DACs were as "good" (obviously personal preferences play a huge role here) as the Gumby, I think I would be plenty satisfied for the time being.

Sep 25, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #679 of 1,655
I wonder how the R-28 / R-1 / R2R 2 would compare to the Schiit Gugnir Multibit. My early Gumby was pretty fantastic – I enjoyed it nearly as much as my early Yggdrasil. I cannot yet afford the R2R 7HE, and I'm very close to ordering an R-28. It looks to be a tremendous value. On the other hand, the R-8 isn't all that much more dough, and I could probably sort out a good-enough-for-now preamp and headphone amp situation in the short-term if I went with the R-8. On other hand, if I knew that the Audio-gd DA-8-based DACs were as "good" (obviously personal preferences play a huge role here) as the Gumby, I think I would be plenty satisfied for the time being.
The R-28 sounds fantastic. I was blown away when I got mine. I'm coming from some expensive DACs too. I had to let it sit turned on for a while to get the full "experience". I've not heard the gumby so can't compare. Two things to think about with the R-28 vs Gumby is you get native DSD and I2S with the R-28 and not so much with the Gumby. That's becoming a bigger and bigger selling point for a lot of people.

Sep 26, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #680 of 1,655
@jerick70 Thanks for offering your thoughts!

May I ask what other DACs you’ve had in your possession? Also, are you saying you leave yours switched on all the time? I would likely do the same. Although, I get the impression that it’s not as necessary to leave Audio-gd DACs on all the time as it is for Schiit’s multibit DACs.

Have you compared the SPDIF coax in (when using something like an Eitr) versus the I2S in? And finally, what gear are you using to deliver said I2S signal? Thanks!

It seems like a bargain, considering you’re ostensibly* getting a fairly solid headphone amp and preamp for just a couple hundred bucks more than the cost of the R1 or R2R 2.

(*I have not heard the NFB-1 or C-2.)

Sep 27, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #681 of 1,655
@jerick70 Thanks for offering your thoughts!

May I ask what other DACs you’ve had in your possession? Also, are you saying you leave yours switched on all the time? I would likely do the same. Although, I get the impression that it’s not as necessary to leave Audio-gd DACs on all the time as it is for Schiit’s multibit DACs.

Have you compared the SPDIF coax in (when using something like an Eitr) versus the I2S in? And finally, what gear are you using to deliver said I2S signal? Thanks!

It seems like a bargain, considering you’re ostensibly* getting a fairly solid headphone amp and preamp for just a couple hundred bucks more than the cost of the R1 or R2R 2.

(*I have not heard the NFB-1 or C-2.)
Hey, no problem.

Here are the DACs I have now... iFi IDSD Micro BL, Violectric tenor XMOS board in V281, RME ADI2 Pro, Matrix XSabre Pro, iFi xDSD, iBasso DX200 Ti. I've also owned many other R2R and DS DACs.

I've only compared USB to I2S. I use a Matrix X-SPDIF2 to convert from USB to I2S. I wouldn't say that USB or I2S are superior on the R-28, they do sound different though. USB has a little bit more weight to the sound, and I2S through the Matrix is a little leaner.

I have to say that the R-28 is right up there with my previous best DAC the X-Sabre Pro. I haven't used the X-Sabre Pro regularly since I purchased the R-28.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #682 of 1,655
M
I thought about buying an R28 myself, but I'm afraid that it will change color like the Precision2 repeater I have for 3 years
20181006_092530_HDR-2656x1494.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #683 of 1,655
It most certainly will. Direct sunlight all day long will accelerate this phenomenon. New panels can be ordered from audio-gd however. I hope they fix this issue at some point. My 2014 master-1 is still black but with a slight shift towards orange. It is moderately exposed to sunlight.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #684 of 1,655
M
I thought about buying an R28 myself, but I'm afraid that it will change color like the Precision2 repeater I have for 3 years

Whoa, talk about discoloration! Lucky mine is in a corner where the sun has no chance.

Oct 7, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #687 of 1,655
M
Ha! My NFB28 is almost all copper these days. Good thing my R2R-1 and NFB-1 amp are in my office, which because of monitor glare and books rarely if ever gets direct sunlight. I suppose you could bring the panels to a local metal shop, but I could never care enough myself.

Edit - spelling.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #689 of 1,655
branded appliances stand for me for many years and have no fading
It’s not so much about coloration but rather heat. Direct sun means extra heat that electronics (especially sensitive audio electronics) don’t need. Discoloration is the least of your worries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back