Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
Jun 25, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #121 of 1,695
I think I pass 100 hour of use with it. And I sound quite great every time pass i mature.
I will try to burn it as much as possible to see what it can really do.
But anyway My freind will come and get it once I got R-28

Do you open it for 24 hour just to burn it?
I not quite use to open and burn thing like that.

Last time I burn my koss ksc35 it broke haha

So I burn with real use

Hi again,
My only reason for my suggestion to keep it is.... I think that the 11.38 is more or less a collector item with its limited serie. It will sound as good as the ESS chips can do.
If I have had the money I should have kept the 11.38 and found a purpose for it. I was tempted of getting one when it was first announced but I already have the .38 in a NFB28, so I passed.
/Jan

Jun 25, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #122 of 1,695
Hi again,
My only reason for my suggestion to keep it is.... I think that the 11.38 is more or less a collector item with its limited serie. It will sound as good as the ESS chips can do.
If I have had the money I should have kept the 11.38 and found a purpose for it. I was tempted of getting one when it was first announced but I already have the .38 in a NFB28, so I passed.
/Jan

Actually I don't have money to spare and space to keep both dac/amp with me.
I already have STX + Burson V.6 opamp with my pc gaming.

So I think NFB have to go

Jun 25, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #123 of 1,695
You can leave Audio-Gd amps/dacs on permanently as far as I know. Also, you don't have to be playing music through them, just leave them on with the volume down and they will burn in by themselves (unlike headphones where you need to be playing something to activate the drivers).

Oh really that the beauty of solid state i live in Thailand and the amp is so hot i don’t want leave it open when i not there it seem for safety reason haha

Jun 25, 2018 at 6:45 AM Post #124 of 1,695
About the conversation about leaving gear powered on, here is a good explanation:

I think the only real consideration should be if you are OK with your power bill when all your equipment runs permanently. I would guess the equipment is much more expensive to repair/service than the power bill, even over a good couple of years.

I don't leave my stuff on during the week as I don't really have time to use it during the week. We also have serious lightning storms in summer where I stay so it WILL BE UNPLUGGED when not in use. It stays on over weekends and when frequently used, but only when safe to do so. The equipment is insured, but the problem is when lightning or surges damages it only slightly and you can't proof its not as it used to be...and you can't claim for it.

Cheers,
W

Jun 25, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #125 of 1,695
About the conversation about leaving gear powered on, here is a good explanation:

I think the only real consideration should be if you are OK with your power bill when all your equipment runs permanently. I would guess the equipment is much more expensive to repair/service than the power bill, even over a good couple of years.

I don't leave my stuff on during the week as I don't really have time to use it during the week. We also have serious lightning storms in summer where I stay so it WILL BE UNPLUGGED when not in use. It stays on over weekends and when frequently used, but only when safe to do so. The equipment is insured, but the problem is when lightning or surges damages it only slightly and you can't proof its not as it used to be...and you can't claim for it.

Cheers,
W

OMG so it intend to turn on all the time man i switch my thing off everyday

That was very enlight video

Jun 25, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #126 of 1,695
I have a slightly different view. Based on the fact that heat is the enemy of electronic components, and thus shortens their lifespan (and can affect their compliance to tolerance), I would not leave them on 24/7. You don't need to turn it on and off every time you walk away, but would consider switching it off when not in use. It will get up to optimal operating temps within 20-30 minutes max (especially since it is solid state; tubes can take longer).

There are very few components that can and should be kept on 24/7, and those are typically specifically built to do so, such as industrial machinery.

Jun 25, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #127 of 1,695

Cheers,
W

This tallies with what Kingwa suggests as well - just keep them on. Power draw isn't going to be crazy expensive, but of course use common sense when dealing with extreme heat (hot days) or lightning storms. All your sensitive equipment should ideally be protected by a surge board or some type of UPS anyway.

Jun 25, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #128 of 1,695
I have a slightly different view. Based on the fact that heat is the enemy of electronic components, and thus shortens their lifespan (and can affect their compliance to tolerance), I would not leave them on 24/7. You don't need to turn it on and off every time you walk away, but would consider switching it off when not in use. It will get up to optimal operating temps within 20-30 minutes max (especially since it is solid state; tubes can take longer).

There are very few components that can and should be kept on 24/7, and those are typically specifically built to do so, such as industrial machinery.
Will be interesting to see how hot the R-28 gets when not in use/idle. That should in turn dictate switch on/off approach.

Jun 25, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #130 of 1,695
This tallies with what Kingwa suggests as well - just keep them on. Power draw isn't going to be crazy expensive, but of course use common sense when dealing with extreme heat (hot days) or lightning storms. All your sensitive equipment should ideally be protected by a surge board or some type of UPS anyway.

I have surge protection in place, but nothing protects against a close by lightning strike. I have lost stuff before that was not even connected... I have a PC board that has no copper tracks left on it.. all burned up with a strike NEXT to the house. Just an induced electric spike. Don't take chances with lightning with your precious electronics and imports...

Jun 25, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #131 of 1,695
I have surge protection in place, but nothing protects against a close by lightning strike. I have lost stuff before that was not even connected... I have a PC board that has no copper tracks left on it.. all burned up with a strike NEXT to the house. Just an induced electric spike. Don't take chances with lightning with your precious electronics and imports...
Absolutely 100% agree. The once a year we have lightning in Cape Town all electronic appliances get unplugged. It would drive me crazy in Jo’burg! :p

Jun 25, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #132 of 1,695
Nfb 11.38 is pretty hot when i use it for 6 hour

The Audio-gd gears seems to be rather hot during the burn in period when components settles. Later on this cools down. My NFB-11.28 TCXO has been powered on since I bought it last year. Today the top lid is nice to have the hand on (35~40 C).

/Jan

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #135 of 1,695
The Audio-gd gears seems to be rather hot during the burn in period when components settles. Later on this cools down. My NFB-11.28 TCXO has been powered on since I bought it last year. Today the top lid is nice to have the hand on (35~40 C).

/Jan
My NFB11.32 (35W PSU) has been switched on for at least 5 days now, and has been playing pretty loud into K240S and HD600 for a few hours now.
It is barely warm to the touch, and being a cold night I can feel the warm air rising from the top vent.

I highly recommend using larger feet and raising the unit about an inch. The improved air circulation keeps the unit much cooler than the useless little stock pads.
Cooler unit means better operating tolerances and optimal component lifespan.

Which is good because I intend to keep my NFB11 until one of us stops working permanently...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back