Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
Jul 31, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #1,306 of 1,641
Agreed, but that's not what I meant :D

I just meant in the future, you might be glad to have the ACSS analog outputs rather than some SE inputs.
this point is taken :) but that leaves the SE input issue. on the other hand, I suppose that means that I can keep an eye out for a stock 2019-2021 R28 as it still has both the XLR and RCA inputs and I don't need anyone to replace the ACSS outputs. although to be honest, I'd probably prefer 2 x RCA plus ACSS outputs: one SE pair to tube headamp, another to tube speaker amp, and the ACSS to Audio-GD solid state power amp potentially.

Jul 31, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #1,307 of 1,641
If you're thinking of upgrading, take a hard look at the latest R27. @FredA pointed out that it has a better power supply and other upgrades from the R28.

Jul 31, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #1,308 of 1,641
Adding more SE inputs/outputs to a DAC can be detrimental for SQ. Less problematic are balanced connections, where a ground wire can be lifted on one side when needed.

Kingwa decision makes sense. I want to say, we are protecting DAC from noise at a great expense, adding DDC, ect., then adding one SE device from the front or a back can ruin everything. Consider what I am saying and rather in such case look for a plain DAC and master amp set.

Jul 31, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #1,310 of 1,641
Aug 12, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #1,311 of 1,641
Hi,
me again :)

My curiosity has won and I unscrewed the R28 to see which version I have the now - to my delight the 2020 model :)

IMG_0082.jpeg

Today I got a pair of Tannoy Gold 5, they sound wonderful on the R28.
All in all I can say that I got a very good deal with the R28.
:)

Aug 12, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #1,312 of 1,641
Hi,
me again :)

My curiosity has won and I unscrewed the R28 to see which version I have the now - to my delight the 2020 model :)

IMG_0082.jpeg

Today I got a pair of Tannoy Gold 5, they sound wonderful on the R28.
All in all I can say that I got a very good deal with the R28.
:)

Would be most interested in how you find it versus the Pro iDSD (if you still have it)

Aug 12, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #1,313 of 1,641
Would be most interested in how you find it versus the Pro iDSD (if you still have it)
Pro iDSD is still there, and will never go :)

I can't write my impressions of the devices as nicely as some others can, so I'll just try a comparison:

Pro iDSD is technically outstanding, especially with the upgrade tubes and the many filters, R28 is musically thrilling, almost like a live concert.
Since I have the R28, I only listen with him, let's see how it looks in another 2 weeks.

I am thinking of putting my ifi stack on the desk, and replace the R28 with a R27.
I have already had countless devices at home, but none has excited me as the R28.

Aug 12, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #1,314 of 1,641

I can't write my impressions of the devices as nicely as some others can, so I'll just try a comparison:

Pro iDSD is technically outstanding, especially with the upgrade tubes and the many filters, R28 is musically thrilling, almost like a live concert.
Since I have the R28, I only listen with him, let's see how it looks in another 2 weeks.......

R2R DAC is known for non fatigue analog like long session music listening. May not be most resolving SQ, but more musical to my taste. Don't try to get a DI20he for it.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #1,316 of 1,641
It is, indeed.
Even for some Hifi professionals it's a revelation, especially with good active speakers connected. :)
My Hifi dealer was more than surprised about the capabilities of the R28, that I've brought to my session at his shop.

Sep 12, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #1,317 of 1,641

Since I have the R28, I only listen with him, let's see how it looks in another 2 weeks.

I am thinking of putting my ifi stack on the desk, and replace the R28 with a R27.
I have already had countless devices at home, but none has excited me as the R28.
How is your A-GD journey going?
Are you still on the R28, or is it replaced by a 27 now? :)

Sep 12, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #1,318 of 1,641
I've a question regarding the analog inputs.

I've bought a TT recently, which has a built in phono pre ( Thorens TD402 DD ), and now is attached to the R28 by RCA Pro-Ject cable.

Caveat is, that I've to turn the volume up to 90 for suitable listening, instead of 65 via USB or feed by the Mojo ( regulated to nearly 2V ).

Someone of you has experienced a similar behavior?
Headphone is the ZMF VO.

Tested with 3 different cables ( OEM, Oehlbach Ice Blue and Pro-Ject Connect-It RCA-E ), no difference sadly.

Next step is to lend an external phono-pre to eliminate the internal from the list. :unamused:

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sep 12, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #1,319 of 1,641
I've a question regarding the analog inputs.

I've bought a TT recently, which has a built in phono pre ( Thorens TD402 DD ), and now is attached to the R28 by RCA Pro-Ject cable.

Caveat is, that I've to turn the volume up to 90 for suitable listening, instead of 65 via USB or feed by the Mojo ( regulated to nearly 2V ).

Someone of you has experienced a similar behavior?
Headphone is the ZMF VO.

Tested with 3 different cables ( OEM, Oehlbach Ice Blue and Pro-Ject Connect-It RCA-E ), no difference sadly.

Next step is to lend an external phono-pre to eliminate the internal from the list. :unamused:

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Pretty normal. You could increase the overall gain on the r28. Phono stages have pretty low output levels in general.

Sep 12, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #1,320 of 1,641
Thank you.

Yeah, i know.
Was expecting at least 10 ticks more with this setup, but 25 is a bit to much. ^^

I'll try to figure out how I can get more gain, thou.
Maybe a Phono Box DS2 will do the trick.

It's going to be funny, I guess. ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back