Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
Sep 6, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #586 of 1,787
But wouldn't that lower resolution?

Ive heard that most people can't differentiate over 44khz cd quality but if my system can handle it, I want to utilize it and get the best results possible.

That bring said, problem did not reappear after I lowered it to 96Khz. Still sounds glorious to my 40 odd year old ears. :)
Yes supposedly it will. The issue is there is a bug with Foobar and Windows and higher rez listening on your PC. This doesn't happen on all PCs. Just out of curiosity what PC do you have?

You could upgrade to JRiver or Audirvana Plus and the problem should be solved.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #587 of 1,787
Yes supposedly it will. The issue is there is a bug with Foobar and Windows and higher rez listening on your PC. This doesn't happen on all PCs. Just out of curiosity what PC do you have?

You could upgrade to JRiver or Audirvana Plus and the problem should be solved.

Lemme see now...

20180516_190708.jpg

CPU : coffeelake i5 8600k
Cooler: corsair H80 v2 water AIO
M board : Asus strix z370-i
RAM : 32Gb 3xxx (upgraded from 2× 8Gb 2400Mhz)
VGA : MSI 1070Ti gaming D5 8Gb
HDD: Nvme samsung 1Tb x 2 (started off as a single 512Gb but quickly ran out of space)
Power: Corsair tx550 gold
Case : Fractal Node 304

I usually use a PC for about 6~7 years, so i try to maximize as much as I can when I buy a system. My weak link is my monitor, a cheap $300 32" that was plenty for me previously... but I can see tearing sometimes and I might just get that changed too at a later time.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #588 of 1,787
Lemme see now...

CPU : coffeelake i5 8600k
Cooler: corsair H80 v2 water AIO
M board : Asus strix z370-i
RAM : 32Gb 3xxx (upgraded from 2× 8Gb 2400Mhz)
VGA : MSI 1070Ti gaming D5 8Gb
HDD: Nvme samsung 1Tb x 2 (started off as a single 512Gb but quickly ran out of space)
Power: Corsair tx550 gold
Case : Fractal Node 304

I usually use a PC for about 6~7 years, so i try to maximize as much as I can when I buy a system. My weak link is my monitor, a cheap $300 32" that was plenty for me previously... but I can see tearing sometimes and I might just get that changed too at a later time.
Nice computer! I'm a huge PC builder myself. I do it to relax. Nothing like the smell of new PC parts....

One suggestion is upgrading your power supply though. It is a little under powered for what you are running. I use Newegg's power supply calculator to see what type of wattage I need for my builds. Your awesome PC requires 669 watts according to their calculator. This may be why your getting the error in Foobar.

https://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #589 of 1,787
Nice computer! I'm a huge PC builder myself. I do it to relax. Nothing like the smell of new PC parts....

One suggestion is upgrading your power supply though. It is a little under powered for what you are running. I use Newegg's power supply calculator to see what type of wattage I need for my builds. Your awesome PC requires 669 watts according to their calculator. This may be why your getting the error in Foobar.

https://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html

Oh wow, never thought of it that way... perhaps that's why my pc has been a bit jittery at times... 7 years ago, 550watts was max overkill and run a small server...

Sep 7, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #590 of 1,787
Oh wow, never thought of it that way... perhaps that's why my pc has been a bit jittery at times... 7 years ago, 550watts was max overkill and run a small server...
There's a very good chance that may be the problem. The 1070 Ti alone takes 500 watts according to MSI.

Corsair makes some of the best power supplies IMO. So sticking with them would be a good idea IMO. I would put some headroom in there wattage wise too. 850 - 1000 watts is what I would use to run that build.

Sep 7, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #591 of 1,787
(OFFTOPIC)
There's a very good chance that may be the problem. The 1070 Ti alone takes 500 watts according to MSI..

No it doesn't. Stop believing silly MSI PR dept or useless "calculators".

Actual measurement data says peak 175-185W in gaming. Absolute temporal peak c. 260W when seriously overclocked:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gigabyte-gtx-1070-ti-gaming-8g,5338-4.html
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-geforce-gtx-1070-ti-gaming-review,8.html
(/OFFTOPIC)

Now can we please get back to the topic:
Audio-Gd R-28

Sep 7, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #592 of 1,787
(OFFTOPIC)

No it doesn't. Stop believing silly MSI PR dept or useless "calculators".

Actual measurement data says peak 175-185W in gaming. Absolute temporal peak c. 260W when seriously overclocked:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gigabyte-gtx-1070-ti-gaming-8g,5338-4.html
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-geforce-gtx-1070-ti-gaming-review,8.html
(/OFFTOPIC)

Now can we please get back to the topic:
Audio-Gd R-28
You haven't read the whole conversation with @Heavyboxer, have you? He's having issues with using his R-28 with Foobar. Very on topic.

The rest of your condescending post... roll my eyes....

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #593 of 1,787
You haven't read the whole conversation with @Heavyboxer, have you? He's having issues with using his R-28 with Foobar. Very on topic.

The rest of your condescending post... roll my eyes....
Some people :)

By the way I’m listening to DSD128 off a 6-year-old Mac mini with 4GB RAM. If Foobar can’t cut it on such a powerful PC, I suggest he switches music software.

Sep 7, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #595 of 1,787
Whoa peeps, let's all chill.

My pc spec talk will stop here. It was a lil on topic since it was related to the R28.. then again, it's about the source so perhaps not.

Anyway, let's all be happy. :)

I'll certainly try out other recommended music software (foobar looks boring as bat schiit anyhow)

Sep 7, 2018 at 2:03 AM Post #596 of 1,787

My pc spec talk will stop here. It was a lil on topic since it was related to the R28.. then again, it's about the source so perhaps not.

I'll certainly try out other recommended music software (foobar looks boring as bat schiit anyhow)
Also are you using optical or USB sir? Not familiar with the USB ports on that mobo... Maybe try one of the USB 2.0 ports if available? At the end of the day, it's about helping each other out, right?

Sep 7, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #597 of 1,787

Hopefully I didn't make your R-28 experience a bad one.... Just trying to help. :ksc75smile:

Sep 7, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #599 of 1,787
My R28 has both a USB (2.0, stock blue cable as sent by Audio-gd) as well as optical connected to the PC. Note that even when Foobar was tripping, Windows media could still play tracks fine. Am thinking perhaps I don't know Foobar enough (so more settings need to be played with) and/or maybe some compatibility issues with Amanero boards. (Drivers already installed during R2R-11 days.)

FYI I find Audio-gd R2R DAC's don't handle optical over 96Khz well (spec also shows 96khz is the limit). Unit has a periodic noise/buzz (about every 3 seconds) from headphones if 192Khz is selected.

Sep 7, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #600 of 1,787
Good point.

Helping is part of what I thought this thread was for. If I'm wrong please correct me.
You are quite correct, even if it means steering slightly off topic to solve an issue that's very much on topic. Some people just have to play boss :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back