Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
Jul 10, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #226 of 1,676
For me anything that protect the products and not let it vibrate is good for me. So cheap one for now

I try r-28 in various song
Daft Punk - Get Lucky
The sound is slow.Is there any type of song this products not quite good with?

Jul 11, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #227 of 1,676
Daft Punk - Get Lucky
The sound is slow.Is there any type of song this products not quite good with?
What do you mean by ‘slow’, and compared to what? Which headphones are you using? I just had a listen to that track with my Elear and it sounds fast, punchy and dynamic, just as I expected the Elear to present it.

If anything the R-28 just lets the music flow with perfect clarity and very little coloration, at least to my ears. Currently in OS 8x (default) mode, using SE out to the Elear.

I’ll post more feedback using this combination as I listen to it more over the coming days and weeks. I’m at the 200-hour burn in mark so the sound should have opened up nicely by now.

Jul 11, 2018 at 2:54 AM Post #228 of 1,676
What do you mean by ‘slow’, and compared to what? Which headphones are you using? I just had a listen to that track with my Elear and it sounds fast, punchy and dynamic, just as I expected the Elear to present it.

If anything the R-28 just lets the music flow with perfect clarity and very little coloration, at least to my ears. Currently in OS 8x (default) mode, using SE out to the Elear.

I’ll post more feedback using this combination as I listen to it more over the coming days and weeks. I’m at the 200-hour burn in mark so the sound should have opened up nicely by now.

Compare to

Hi i use as preamp with MM7025 + Elac B5.

I will use with my HD650 again today if this sound different.

Jul 11, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #229 of 1,676
I'll say this once and very slowly just so I'm not misunderstood.

Putting. Rubber. Feet. Or. Any. Other. Material. For. That. Matter. Under. A. Solid. State. Piece. Of. Equipment. With. No. Moving. Parts. Makes. NO. DIFFERENCE. TO. THE. SOUND. WHATSOEVER.

Can we at least try to be responsible and not spread nonsense about nonexistent magical acoustical properties on this forum?

Thank you kindly.

If you hear your music with headphones this is true because you don’t have acoustic feddback into the unit enclosure and pcb. If you use loudspeakers in the same room you will have clearly audible effects depending how acoustic vibrations are scattered from the enclosure.

B.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #230 of 1,676
It's not magical, there is actual science involved. That being said, I use the inexpensive Herbies rubber dampers, mostly with tube amps.

I have no doubt there is, and I wasn’t questioning the need for isolation or vibration reduction. I was just point out the ridiculousness of some of the comments here on how rubber or material would affect some of the sound characteristics of a solid state device like the R-28, especially when set on a firm surface. Some of these nonsensical comments need to be called out for what they are.

It depends what headphones you are driving. For the vast majority of headphones, the R-28 is great. Going up to higher amps, it's like removing the grills off speakers so the sound can move more freely, as grills have a slight damping effect on the drivers. Overall, the R-28 has a slightly mellow presentation, which, with the characteristic "sound" of a ladder DAC, makes it very pleasant to listen with.
Would you say it’s the same case with the NFB-1 compared to something like the Master 9? If so then I think the R-28 is performing exactly as expected.

Jul 11, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #231 of 1,676
Compare to

Hi i use as preamp with MM7025 + Elac B5.

I will use with my HD650 again today if this sound different.
So are you only using the dac section, not the amp? Ladder dacs are, in my experience, more organic and less ‘clinical’ than a DS dac like the Sabre Pro, which may come across as ‘slower’ depending on your listening preferences and headphones used, although I personally don’t perceive them as slow, just more natural.

Jul 11, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #232 of 1,676
So are you only using the dac section, not the amp? Ladder dacs are, in my experience, more organic and less ‘clinical’ than a DS dac like the Sabre Pro, which may come across as ‘slower’ depending on your listening preferences and headphones used, although I personally don’t perceive them as slow, just more natural.

I use it as dac and preamp part.

For Headphone I kind of remember it speed is not that fast too. But I have to check tonight.

Jul 11, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #233 of 1,676
If you hear your music with headphones this is true because you don’t have acoustic feddback into the unit enclosure and pcb. If you use loudspeakers in the same room you will have clearly audible effects depending how acoustic vibrations are scattered from the enclosure.

Think everyone should take a chill pill and we can get back on topic around discussing the R-28 :L3000:

But on this point specifically, we are getting somewhere, as we are now setting expectations and defining specific circumstances. In this case, I agree - in a speaker setup, any vibrations can have an impact, be it tiny or significant (depending on the listener's belief in such). Everything from circuits to capacitors can potentially, in some way, be affected by vibrations.

In the context of headphone-only listening, it should be a negligible (read no) impact so isolation can be considered less of a concern.

Jul 11, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #234 of 1,676
Ah, the voice of reason...:slight_smile:

What I REALLY want to know is how the DAC section compares to the R2R-11.

If I consider getting a NOS DAC at any stage, which is looking very likely, it will almost certainly be an R2R-11, hence my interest.
I realise it's quite early for such comparisons, and not sure anyone has even used the R-28 as a DAC only yet, but I'll be patient...:sunglasses:

Jul 12, 2018 at 5:53 AM Post #235 of 1,676
Has anyone compared this to the delta sigma equivalent (nfb 28.38)? Curious to see what the differences in sound characteristics are between the audiogd r2r and deltasigma (es9038) dacs. I currently use an r2r 11 but I do listen to a huge array of music genres, so I don't think one would be better than another for me. I'm just curious what sort of differences I'll find.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #237 of 1,676
Only reason I'm asking for a comparison or insight as I was put off Sabre Dacs a long time ago due to poor implementation and that horrid glare in the treble. After that I swore never to go with a Sabre dac again only AKM or ladder dacs, thats why im partial to r2r now. That being said I know the es9038 and implementations of said sabre chips are a lot better now.

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #238 of 1,676
The 9038-based DACs seem to have less of the glare. I've found though that AKM DACs that use their default linear filter sound worse than any 9018-based DAC I've tried. A bit off-topic, but it seems custom high-tap filters are the way to go, if not R2R. iFi's Pro iDSD has a 16k tap filter feeding 4 BB DACs and it is the least chip-DAC-like DAC I've auditioned to date (that wasn't over $8k at least).

I realise it's quite early for such comparisons, and not sure anyone has even used the R-28 as a DAC only yet, but I'll be patient...:sunglasses:

I asked Kingwa and he says that the R-28 as a DAC is equivalent to the R1. It's surprisingly competent, at least with the Utopias. It doesn't have quite the depth of my big rigs, but it's good enough, and so listenable, that even switching back and forth between them, I don't feel I'm losing enough SQ to bother me. At my usual moderate listening level it requires excellent recordings any significant difference between the R-28 and the Hugo 2.

Jul 12, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #239 of 1,676
The 9038-based DACs seem to have less of the glare. I've found though that AKM DACs that use their default linear filter sound worse than any 9018-based DAC I've tried. A bit off-topic, but it seems custom high-tap filters are the way to go, if not R2R. iFi's Pro iDSD has a 16k tap filter feeding 4 BB DACs and it is the least chip-DAC-like DAC I've auditioned to date (that wasn't over $8k at least).

I asked Kingwa and he says that the R-28 as a DAC is equivalent to the R1. It's surprisingly competent, at least with the Utopias. It doesn't have quite the depth of my big rigs, but it's good enough, and so listenable, that even switching back and forth between them, I don't feel I'm losing enough SQ to bother me. At my usual moderate listening level it requires excellent recordings any significant difference between the R-28 and the Hugo 2.

Hey Currawong you should take over innerfidelity bro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back