Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
Jul 7, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #168 of 1,593
Hey guys, I noticed an interesting thing while reading up on the R-28 webpage again today: all mention of the so-called “Super SE” mode is gone, and instead we’re left with a single line on the specs page claiming SE and balanced have he same power output.

Seems AGD silently revised the specs - and changed the functionality of the shipping product - because previously there was to be an ‘S’ mode that switched on the full-power SE function, and it’s no longer there.

Could it be that both outputs are now permanently in parity? That would be quite unique indeed!

I wonder if that’s the only change made to the shipping product...

Jul 7, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #169 of 1,593
Very eagerly waiting on impressions of the r28. Curious to know what disadvantages there are opting for this instead of the r2r 1 + nfb 1 combo

Jul 7, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #170 of 1,593
Hey guys, I noticed an interesting thing while reading up on the R-28 webpage again today: all mention of the so-called “Super SE” mode is gone, and instead we’re left with a single line on the specs page claiming SE and balanced have he same power output.

Seems AGD silently revised the specs - and changed the functionality of the shipping product - because previously there was to be an ‘S’ mode that switched on the full-power SE function, and it’s no longer there.

Could it be that both outputs are now permanently in parity? That would be quite unique indeed!

The S mode lost soundstage, dramatically so -- it was really not a benefit. The point of having more power available is that the soundstage does not collapse during complex music when listening with planar headphones at higher volumes. Starting off with a poor soundstage for more power negates the point of it.

Jul 7, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #171 of 1,593

Strange. It is specced as both outputs have the same power still.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2018 at 2:08 AM Post #172 of 1,593
The S mode lost soundstage, dramatically so -- it was really not a benefit. The point of having more power available is that the soundstage does not collapse during complex music when listening with planar headphones at higher volumes. Starting off with a poor soundstage for more power negates the point of it.

Thanks for the feedback Amos and just to clarify, was your unit then NOT delivered with S mode functionality?

And in that case, is the power output still the same for SE and Balanced operation?

Jul 8, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #173 of 1,593
It should - while that name has been removed from the page, specs still state: Balanced and Single ended modes had same power output

Having said that, if it has been removed for SQ reasons, it may just be that they haven’t updated that part of the specs page

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #174 of 1,593
Thanks for the feedback Amos and just to clarify, was your unit then NOT delivered with S mode functionality?

And in that case, is the power output still the same for SE and Balanced operation?

Mine was delivered with S mode functionality. I'm going to update the firmware to remove it though.

Jul 8, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #175 of 1,593
Mine was delivered with S mode functionality. I'm going to update the firmware to remove it though.
So in other words once you disable/remove S mode, SE is back to normal power (i.e. 1/4 balanced output)? If so you should tell Kingwa to change the wording on the specs page before he gets flak for it...

Jul 8, 2018 at 4:08 AM Post #176 of 1,593
So in other words once you disable/remove S mode, SE is back to normal power (i.e. 1/4 balanced output)? If so you should tell Kingwa to change the wording on the specs page before he gets flak for it...

I'll have to wait until I've updated it. Anyone can email him though.

Jul 8, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #177 of 1,593
I'll have to wait until I've updated it. Anyone can email him though.
Hi, I did and he confirmed that Super SE mode is no longer available. So it’s back to NFB-1 level SE and Balanced modes (i.e. balanced 4x SE output power). Still has true high gain mode, so a step forward from the NFB-1.

Jul 8, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #178 of 1,593
Hi, I did and he confirmed that Super SE mode is no longer available. So it’s back to NFB-1 level SE and Balanced modes (i.e. balanced 4x SE output power). Still has true high gain mode, so a step forward from the NFB-1.
What you meant by "Still has true high gain mode" ? Usual High Gain mode or anything else since Super SE mode is no longer available.

Jul 8, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #179 of 1,593
What you meant by "Still has true high gain mode" ? Usual High Gain mode or anything else since Super SE mode is no longer available.
The nfb-1's high gain mode is actually a different configuration for the volume knob. In high gain is skips volume steps and ramps up the volume sooner. There's no electrical change to the signal.

Jul 8, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #180 of 1,593
Three months shy of 13 years ago, I officially joined this wonderful hobby by signing up at Head-Fi. It has been an incredible journey filled with joys, tears, wonderful surprises, heart-wrenching disappointments, and unending experimentation of different components, systems, accessories, and so forth.

It warms the heart to finally be able to say that I have reached my audio nirvana. Excessive for some, far from TOTL for others, but ultimately for me it ticks all the boxes.

The final leg of this journey commenced about a year ago and resulted in finding my trifecta of headphones. The last piece of the puzzle was finding and all-in-one that did not require a material compromise in terms of the characteristics I appreciate in audio reproduction. That search culminated in the R-28.

Having fallen in love with the R2R-11's synergy both with my headphones and my ears, the announcement of the R-28 was like a cherub singing. I swiftly placed my order and waited anxiously for it to be assembled. Once it was finally picked up by DHL, it took all of 48 hours to arrive at my doorstep, halfway across the world.

It is still early days in terms of burn-in, and I have not even touched any NOS mode settings, but it is truly a glorious achievement. Well done to Kingwa and the team, and thank you for this masterpiece which now completes my quest.

Below some photos, shot gloriously by @gLer.

R2R-LCD3-clean.jpg

R2R-HD800-clean.jpg

R2R-Auteur-clean.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back