Audio-GD Power Supply Filter Outlet
Jun 9, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #16 of 139
I never tried it myself, but I'd guess if I had to choose between spending $250 for a male power connector or hardwiring a power cable to this power filter, I'd absolutely just hardwire. I asked Kingwa and he said it is possible to make an attached/hardwire cable on the power filter, however it would prevent you from swapping cables for different sound signatures and also mess a bit with the case's cosmetics. Now that I think about it more, I think hardwiring may indeed be a worthwhile option for some circumstances. Not for me though, I need it detachable so I can experiment putting it right behind my furman conditioner.

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #17 of 139
Hmm, hardwiring might be fun. I've always wanted to DIY a power cable.

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #18 of 139
I think audio-gd could do it for you, just supply your own cable or ask for the power cable they sell to be attached. But you do lose the freedom to swap cables in the future, and imo audio-gd's power cable has a particular sound signature not everyone may find to their preference. I think it has a sort of rounding, focusing, and slight sweetening of stray harsh notes that some might associate with electric guitars.

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #19 of 139
Since I've had good luck with power conditioning already and was planning to build something anyway, it's hard to argue with a cost below what I would have had doing it with local "audiophile" parts, even the cheapest ones. I've ordered mine with the two DC filter sockets replaced with -50dB sockets instead, as transformer hum isn't an issue for me.  

Jun 9, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #20 of 139

Quote:
I never tried it myself, but I'd guess if I had to choose between spending $250 for a male power connector or hardwiring a power cable to this power filter, I'd absolutely just hardwire. I asked Kingwa and he said it is possible to make an attached/hardwire cable on the power filter, however it would prevent you from swapping cables for different sound signatures and also mess a bit with the case's cosmetics. Now that I think about it more, I think hardwiring may indeed be a worthwhile option for some circumstances. Not for me though, I need it detachable so I can experiment putting it right behind my furman conditioner.

Why would it be a worthwhile option?
Did Kingwa say how much he would do it for?

Jun 9, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #21 of 139
If you had to choose between a $250 IEC connector and a possibly free hardwiring, don't you think hardwiring might be good? I don't know how much Kingwa would charge to hardwire, or if he can even do it with the current case, or if he'd have to have a new case machined. If done on this current case, I imagine it'll take some cosmetic hit :p.

Jun 9, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #22 of 139

Quote:
If you had to choose between a $250 IEC connector and a possibly free hardwiring, don't you think hardwiring might be good?

I don't know much about power filters and cables. Can you quickly explain me what are the benefits of hardwiring? Thank you!

Jun 9, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #23 of 139
I don't know much either, and it's all a mess of theories. But my personal take is... well, less is better :D. What are the theoretical drawbacks of having a power connector? More for the electricity to pass through. How to solve it? Don't have a power connector. Someone might argue that the power connector might reduce vibration, or reduce emf/rfi somewhere, but not having more for the electricity to travel through is a strong argument to overturn, especially when it means not having to buy a connector. The same holds true for wires, but more in favor of having wires than no wires. Sure special geometry can reduce vibration and emf/rfi and perhaps alter the sound to your preference, but it is more for the electricity to pass through. Minimalism taken to an extreme would mean hardwiring your gear to the grid and bypassing your home wiring :) no one is going to do that, so it's all about compromise, and since we can never reach perfect with dozens of feet of 14 awg power wires running through our home wiring, I don't see why we should spend $250 on just one male IEC connector.

A real argument against hardwiring is that it means no more swapping cables to your preferred sound signature. I like the audio-gd power cable's nice mids, but sometimes I miss the less tightly controlled airiness of stock cable.

Jun 10, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #25 of 139
That's right, no surge protection at all, just emi/rfi rejection and two sockets that remove stray dc from incoming ac power. Not sure if audio-gd's other equipment have protection against surge, I'll send them an email to ask, but my guess is no.

Jun 10, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #26 of 139
Jun 10, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #28 of 139

Quote:
I plan on daisy chaining some power conditioners, do you guys know of anything more suitable than http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/1/8/2/416182.jpg

Think I could make something like that with better quality? Other option is to order a 1-2 inch power cable from audio-gd.

Just placed order, also asked if they could make an adapter like the one above :p or a 2" cable power cord LOL.

Daisy chaining power conditioners is never a good idea.  Power conditioners always do some good and some harm to the sound.  The more you put in a line, the more your SQ will suffer.

Jun 11, 2010 at 8:00 AM Post #30 of 139
Here's the reply I got:

Quote:
Our gear can work on wide voltage, like 220V version, it can work at 180V to 260V, and even low than 180V can't shatter our gears.
Owners don't need voltage protection for our gears.
We said our filter outlet need extra protect because most house already have protect so we don't built in the outlet.
Kingwa

What I wanted to ask was if it would survive lightning strikes :p. I will likely just use this power filter in conjunction with my furman ac-215 which does have overvoltage and undervoltage protection, UNLESS there is an unacceptable degradation in sound quality, in which case I'll just use the audio-gd filter if it doesn't degrade sound quality, and leave my gear off whenever I'm not listening, or when there's a thunderstorm. This is also somewhat relevant, but I don't think it answers your question fully, I may be wrong, don't know much about the topic of protection from electrical disturbances.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/417553/audio-gd-phoenix-balanced-headphone-amp/1065#post_5807224

Users who are viewing this thread

Back