Audio-GD Power Supply Filter Outlet
Jun 11, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #31 of 139
Direct lightning strikes will trump anything out there. If that is the purpose of buying a device, don't waste your money. Only plug your gear in when in use.

Jun 11, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #32 of 139
Lightning strikes? LOL

Do you want it to survive SABOT rounds, too?
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #34 of 139
Yeah, I'd like to know how this compares to other stuff on the market.

Jun 26, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #36 of 139

Quote:
Anyone received this yet???

Mine was shipped on the 23rd due to some delay. I should receive it with some Audio-GD Exclusive power cables also by wednesday or Thursday.

Jun 26, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #37 of 139
Is this a power strip with filter or is it really a power supply of some sort? Or its just named so as it supplies equipment with power? *newbie alert* :p

Jun 26, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #38 of 139
Yes, it's just a power strip with filtering. it has a weird name :p. It has two kinds of filtering, noise reduction or reducing dc leaked into ac line. It does not regulate voltage or protect against overvoltage/undervoltage. Unless eqiupment transformer is humming, plug into -50dB or -70dB outlets, Kingwa recommends using -50dB for power amps, other stuff in -70dB. But you should try between -50dB, -70dB, and no filtering, because everyone's home power quality is different, and a good percentage of people think overfiltering (or filtering the wrong way) can be bad for sound quality.

Jun 27, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #39 of 139
It can be bad by digitizing the sound. 
angry_face.gif

Jun 27, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #40 of 139
Jun 28, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #41 of 139

Quote:
What do you mean?

Makes it less natural and hyper-detailed, dries up the sound even making it fatiguing with edgier, peakier treble. Sterilizes the sound, too, if I remember correctly.

More like a computer soundcard.
evil_smiley.gif
tongue_smile.gif

I have only spent about a few seconds with my Compass over-filtered, I sure as hell didn't like it. Awful sound.

Jun 28, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #42 of 139
What filter are you using btw? Also make sure to give your conditioner 100+ hours of use. I notice some things I may call negative from my power conditioner as well, but since all power conditioners and ears are different, should listen for yourself to see what setup is best.

audio-gd used to host some english translations on articles written by Kingwa but now I see it only in the Chinese webpages.

A paragraph on the topic, also in the article he says it is a bad idea to daisy-chain power filters :p so I will avoid it except while experimenting http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http://www.audio-gd.com/audio/new_page_16.htm&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&twu=1&usg=ALkJrhh69LmpQHvZWcRGgKVPPTegu_VtXw

Quote:
[size=x-small]No matter what kind of amplifier power supply circuit filter access to all of the amplifiers after (alter) the transient speed and dynamic impact.[/size] [size=x-small]Consequently, most experienced enthusiasts do not advocate the use of filters in the amplifier.[/size] [size=x-small]Perhaps for those who have strong personality and the amplifier with the effect of a lucky hit, it is not in the scope of the (this).[/size] [size=x-small]In short要一分为二's view merits and demerits of the power filter, over-deification or are not wise to blindly deny, how to avoid weaknesses and (be) reasonable are the smart way to play.[/size]

Here's an article talking about power cable design theory and listening reviews, in case anyone is curious about whether they want to try power cords and which sound signature they want. If you are looking for more high frequency energy and open dynamics, the audio-gd exclusive power cord may not have the sound signature you want. Imo the audio-gd power cord makes the sound just like their description says, a bit sweeter with less harsh highs, and tightly controlled soundstage, a sound signature contrary to, for example, the stridency of a fuzz distorting electric guitar.

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http://www.audio-gd.com/audio/five/new_page_2.htm&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&twu=1&usg=ALkJrhirpGRfBlytgDWoyCxYhtuN5rgu9A

Jun 28, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #43 of 139
I just got it. The power filter doesn't have a power switch, just fyi if you thought you could simultaneously turn on equipment with it. I sent audio-gd an email asking why, if they could put a switch on without posing a risk to equipment I think that would be nice. Meanwhile I have the filter chained to my furman ac-215 :p.

Cosmetically, it is like an over-sized power strip, about twice the size of my ac-215 but about the same weight because ac-215 has thicker chassis. Very plain and utilitarian box, other than outlets and power input there is this screw protruding out of one corner of the box with two hex nuts on it, and the screw is for attaching things you want to ground. The feet are two long thin strips made out of the aluminum chassis, this same feet design is used on the sparrow. My chassis wobbles instead of being perfectly flat on all four corners, I may decide to put some felt pads underneath the power filter so it doesn't scratch up my wood platform rack. It has a pretty green led light hehe.

Won't comment on sound yet though, as I've not gotten to know what my current setup sounds like without a power conditioner, and have to try swapping a lot of different things around to make sure I know what is causing what. Maybe in 1-2 weeks I'll post thoughts on sound.

Jun 28, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #44 of 139

Quote:
I just got it.

I haven't received mine yet and it was shipped on the 23rd by EMS.
What date yours was shipped?
Which company did the delivery?
Where are you located?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back