Audio-gd NFB-28
Aug 10, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #2,026 of 2,104
Same here. I bought Monolith THX AAA 788 portable dac/amp, after listening it for week i thought id sell NFB 28 but then i made ABX test between them and oh boy, THX didnt really have even close same sound quality. Took sell post down fast :D

Glad to hear it. I'm still as happy and impressed with the sound quality as ever, even with the older SABRE chip. Every headphone sounds outstanding from this device. I can even use highly sensitive IEMs with virtually no hiss. Though I never do. :)

BTW, can anyone explain what this new Audio-GD thing is and what it's purpose is? I've been talking with Kingwa about it, but I'm still rather confused.

http://bbs.audio-gd.com/dispbbs.asp?boardid=2&Id=31256

He says it's not a DAC, but an audio interface. What exactly does that mean? What does it do? :)

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #2,027 of 2,104
Glad to hear it. I'm still as happy and impressed with the sound quality as ever, even with the older SABRE chip. Every headphone sounds outstanding from this device. I can even use highly sensitive IEMs with virtually no hiss. Though I never do. :)

BTW, can anyone explain what this new Audio-GD thing is and what it's purpose is? I've been talking with Kingwa about it, but I'm still rather confused.

He says it's not a DAC, but an audio interface. What exactly does that mean? What does it do? :)

DDC? Seems like it has the same sort of all-digital backside as something like the Singxher SU-1.

Aug 10, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #2,028 of 2,104
DDC? Seems like it has the same sort of all-digital backside as something like the Singxher SU-1.

Ok. So it's like a splitter and converter. The point seems to be to give you control of multiple DACs from one box. Ok. Ok. Cool. I can see how that could be useful.

Aug 10, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #2,029 of 2,104
Ok. So it's like a splitter and converter. The point seems to be to give you control of multiple DACs from one box. Ok. Ok. Cool. I can see how that could be useful.

Yep. And a DDC can also re-clock the signal, send it through optical/AES/I2S, and basically act as an upgrade to the USB-in on a DAC. Of course, how much of an improvement that makes, if any, depends upon the quality of the USB input that gets bypassed.

Aug 10, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #2,030 of 2,104

Wow that right there reads like an fpga DAC. I.e. no off the shelf DAC chip; all software/fpga based. Similar to PS audio direct stream.
It says Amanero USB interface without 22 and 24m clocks, and then data is processed by fpga.

Very exciting if that's correct.

Aug 10, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #2,032 of 2,104
Wow that right there reads like an fpga DAC. I.e. no off the shelf DAC chip; all software/fpga based. Similar to PS audio direct stream.
It says Amanero USB interface without 22 and 24m clocks, and then data is processed by fpga.

I'm not seeing any analog-out though...

Aug 10, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #2,033 of 2,104

Kingwa says it's not a DAC, and considering there is no analogue output, that removes the A in DAC right there.

Aug 10, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #2,034 of 2,104
This review of the Gustard U12 helped me understand just what an Audio Interface is, and why it's useful.

Aug 15, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #2,036 of 2,104
I have a weird problem with my nfb28, when i increase the volume, i can hear some cracking sounds in the headhpones, something like crack, crack, crack.
This only happens when music is playing, if i increase it without music playing it does not happen. I did try a couple of headphones and the problem happens on all of them.

Aug 15, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #2,037 of 2,104
its the relays switching "While change the volume, the different relays break or close, it may had slightly switch sound on output and disappear while stop change the volume."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back