Audio-gd NFB-28
Nov 6, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #1,937 of 2,104
I'm wondering if anyone here has any direct opinions on the questyle cma 400i against the nfb 28.38?

They are both very similar prices and excel at being balanced all in one units. I know there's some small differing draw points and features. Either one would satisfy my needs, but hoping to learn more to make the right decision.

Nov 6, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #1,938 of 2,104
I'm wondering if anyone here has any direct opinions on the questyle cma 400i against the nfb 28.38?

They are both very similar prices and excel at being balanced all in one units. I know there's some small differing draw points and features. Either one would satisfy my needs, but hoping to learn more to make the right decision.

The absolute first thing you should think about is the connectivity limitations of the 400i. Without analogue in, you are stuck using the DAC section of the unit. That may or may not be a good enough solution for you. Also, since the big draw is the current-mode amplification, this means that you cannot pair that with a nice R2R DAC which would be just gorgeous.

If you are asking for personal impressions between the two, I'm afraid I cannot help you. I never heard the 400i, as I bought the 28.38 instead without hesitation.

Another option to think about is the Holo Audio Cyan, which has an excellent R2R DAC and a a very good amp.

Nov 7, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #1,939 of 2,104
Has anybody heard the difference between the 29 and the 28 in SE? I need to replace my dacamp and i like what I've been readong on the AGD 28/29.38 units.

My current headphones are mid range and SE (DT-1770Pro for example).

I know Kingwa has stated that, for SE, the 28 will be a downgrade from the 29 (as you are only using half the dynamic range) but I have aspirations on a pair of high end planars as my next headphones. Obviously I'd rather not buy a SE dacamp now and then buy another balanced later if I don't need to.

What I'm trying to work out is:

For very easy to drive, mid-range headphones like the DT-1770Pro and ATH-AD900s I own, will the loss in output power from 29.38 to 28.38 in SE be meaningful?

Nov 7, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #1,940 of 2,104
@agoutti:

In Your shoes I would choose the 28 (balanced) and build balanced cables for the headphones. My personal opininon is that balanced with good cables performs better.

I haven't heard the 29 SE. I am sure it is very good but I still think it reduces Your future choices.

/Jan

ps. (I have the 28.38 tcxo)

Nov 7, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #1,941 of 2,104
Has anybody heard the difference between the 29 and the 28 in SE? I need to replace my dacamp and i like what I've been readong on the AGD 28/29.38 units.

My current headphones are mid range and SE (DT-1770Pro for example).

I know Kingwa has stated that, for SE, the 28 will be a downgrade from the 29 (as you are only using half the dynamic range) but I have aspirations on a pair of high end planars as my next headphones. Obviously I'd rather not buy a SE dacamp now and then buy another balanced later if I don't need to.

What I'm trying to work out is:

For very easy to drive, mid-range headphones like the DT-1770Pro and ATH-AD900s I own, will the loss in output power from 29.38 to 28.38 in SE be meaningful?

The SE on the 28 is still quite good and I think the difference between the 28 SE and the 29 SE is marginal at best. I use the SE occasionally and for a few headphones I own the difference between balanced and SE is barely perceptible (maybe not at all).

I would definitely go with the 28 and work to get balanced cables for your headphones. To me, the difference was clear and well worth the cost of cables. If you are planning on getting a planar or breaking into the next tier of headphones, you will definitely appreciate the difference that balanced makes.

Nov 7, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #1,942 of 2,104
Unfortunately, both my good headphones are 3 pin single plug inputs so to wire to balanced (or, more importantly, to independent L/R ground/return), would involve pulling them apart. In particular the 1770s I would need to replace the 3 pin mini-XLR with a 4 pin. I think that money would be better put towards my end-goal headphones.

Good to hear that the SE output on the 28 is still solid, I had hoped that it wouldn't matter for easy to drive cans. The 28.38 with TXCO is what I'm currently planning.

Nov 7, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #1,943 of 2,104
Unfortunately, both my good headphones are 3 pin single plug inputs so to wire to balanced (or, more importantly, to independent L/R ground/return), would involve pulling them apart. In particular the 1770s I would need to replace the 3 pin mini-XLR with a 4 pin. I think that money would be better put towards my end-goal headphones.

Good to hear that the SE output on the 28 is still solid, I had hoped that it wouldn't matter for easy to drive cans. The 28.38 with TXCO is what I'm currently planning.

Yep. I think you are right there. At best, going balanced will not produce a night-and-day difference, just one that is noticeable and fairly obvious, even if it is relatively small in any particular area of sound. It's more of an overall shift in clarity and imaging, in my experience. Balanced is a great thing to look into once you have some end-game headphones to raise their sound just a bit more.

I've haven't been able to predict which headphones sound best going balanced. My relatively easy to drive LCD-X showed the most improvement switching over from SE, but that didn't seem to translate to other planars, other easy-to-drive headphones, or even other easy-to-drive planars. I thought the EL-8 Ti had the least amount of improvement, despite being the most similar to the LCD-X (out of my gear, anyway) and having the most expensive cable. It's a weird thing.

The 28.38 will serve you well and you won't have to worry about having to switch it out later. Hope you post some impressions!

Nov 12, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #1,945 of 2,104
@Jaworrr:
I think that what some people call "synthetic sound" from the ESS9018 is in the 9038 more matured. It is definately less fatiguing. The 9038 is a solid performer it can also handle higher DSD-materials.
The 28.38 is a very good piece of work.

/Jan

Nov 14, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #1,947 of 2,104
i'm interested in getting NFB-28 (old model) and have a few questions:
- can it be used as usb dac with mac os?
- will i hear any background noise with low ohm armature iems? (i have some with mytek 192, that's why i'm worrying)
- will it be upgrade after ibasso dx100 (i love sound profile of this DAP and wanna to get at least the same level of details. i'm asking this question seriously)

Nov 15, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #1,949 of 2,104
i`m thinking of getting this adapter to use SE headphones on Balanced input without having to modify them.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pin-XLR-...22597328765?hash=item1c8b5ec77d:rk:1:pf:0&var

***, do NOT do that! You are going to potentially destroy your headphones!

Read this: https://www.moon-audio.com/single-ended-versus-balanced-connection

TL;DR: "You cannot convert a single ended connection to a balanced connection as there is no way to untie these grounds... you are essentially shorting to ground 2 legs of the circuit making the amp single ended. This can also potentially damage your balanced amp depending on the design. I can't tell you how many times we have been asked to make such an adapter and we explain the situation and then are told how this adapter can be purchased on Amazon. Why are companies selling it? One word. Greed. I would highly recommend not using these."

Nov 16, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #1,950 of 2,104
***, do NOT do that! You are going to potentially destroy your headphones!

Read this: https://www.moon-audio.com/single-ended-versus-balanced-connection

TL;DR: "You cannot convert a single ended connection to a balanced connection as there is no way to untie these grounds... you are essentially shorting to ground 2 legs of the circuit making the amp single ended. This can also potentially damage your balanced amp depending on the design. I can't tell you how many times we have been asked to make such an adapter and we explain the situation and then are told how this adapter can be purchased on Amazon. Why are companies selling it? One word. Greed. I would highly recommend not using these."
Idk why people cannot do a simple Google search for this lmao. This an has popped up in every thread that has anything to do with balanced gear at least once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back