Audio-gd NFB-28
Nov 27, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #1,576 of 2,104

Thanks k4star.

I have a LCD-2 incoming. Which one do you think would pair better being the Audeze a dark headphone?

Still think you should go for the NFB, it is the better sounding amp and DAC regardless of pairing. The Jot has a flat, 2D sound-stage depth that apparently some people cannot hear but is a massive dealbreaker for me, it almost made me nauseous at times. It also has the effect of smearing or panning vocals across your jaw, which doesn't make sense because the rest of the presentation is so upfront. On the NFB the center image is much more focused and clearly defined. It also has greater power on tap for planars, just make sure you get a balanced cable.

Final note, the volume control is much better on the NFB. It has a smoother pot and the way the volume control is implemented allows for greater detail and dynamics to be retained at lower listening volumes. On the flipside the Jot has an annoying pot and a slight haze in the midrange made worse by the smearing I mentioned earlier, so I was constantly turning up the volume to compensate. This isn't good because of it's aggressive tone, and the end result is fatigue even in short sessions with darker headphones.

Dec 6, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #1,577 of 2,104
Guys im not familiar with studio monitors enough to know the answer to this question, so this might sound stupid but: 

I heard that studio monitors need an audio interface, but I have my nfb10se, which is similar enough to the nfb 28 (thats why im posting this here) so i was wondering if its possible to hook up yamaha hs8 (active monitors) to the nfb10se/nfb28 through the balanced connections at the back?

Dec 16, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #1,581 of 2,104
NFB-28 vs NFB-1DAC & NFB-1AMP

The former is $750
The latter pair is $1,170

That quite a difference. Is there any audio benefit in having the separates, other than reduced noise pollution? And if not, is the reduced noise a big deal for these units?

Dec 19, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #1,582 of 2,104
Hey all

I have ordered nfb28(2016) and it will arrive soon so i will use it to run hd650 and use as pre for my hifi stereo system.
Sooner i have made a wooden case for my power amplifier and i was wondering if i can do the same for nfb28. Have anybody done this before?
Any tips?
I have used hard anodize aluminum for the top and bottom of case so the heat is not an issue anymore with my power but im not sure about nfb28.
Is it going hot?

The image above is the case of power amplifier during preparation.

Dec 20, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #1,583 of 2,104
NFB-28 vs NFB-1DAC & NFB-1AMP

The former is $750
The latter pair is $1,170

That quite a difference. Is there any audio benefit in having the separates, other than reduced noise pollution? And if not, is the reduced noise a big deal for these units?

I'm curious about this as well. Is the NFB-1 combo superior or would one be merely paying for the extra chassis over the price of the 28?

Dec 20, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #1,584 of 2,104
I'm curious about this as well. Is the NFB-1 combo superior or would one be merely paying for the extra chassis over the price of the 28?

NFB-28 if you want a quality monolithic unit and don't plan on changing the setup. It has a good form factor and value.
NFB-1AMP is the better amp with lower output impedance and noise, this can be a big deal for IEM guys. NFB-1 combo is good if you like to incrementally upgrade your setup over time.

All their stuff will sound good, so the choice is purely pragmatic. I have the NFB-1AMP and I like the flexibility of having separate, discrete units so I have choice in upgrading the setup. But with the NFB-28 you will save a lot of money that can go towards a good or even flagship headphone.

Dec 20, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #1,585 of 2,104

NFB-28 if you want a quality monolithic unit and don't plan on changing the setup. It has a good form factor and value.
NFB-1AMP is the better amp with lower output impedance and noise, this can be a big deal for IEM guys. NFB-1 combo is good if you like to incrementally upgrade your setup over time.

All their stuff will sound good, so the choice is purely pragmatic. I have the NFB-1AMP and I like the flexibility of having separate, discrete units so I have choice in upgrading the setup. But with the NFB-28 you will save a lot of money that can go towards a good or even flagship headphone.

Thanks. Have you had the chance to compare their DACs against the Jot?

PS - What is the pre-out like on the NFB1-Amp and NFB-28?

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #1,588 of 2,104

I don't know what you wrote before, but don't be so hard on you!

Nobody knows everything and I'm sure you know more things than everyone here in other field.

Asking stupid questions is the way to learn something.

lol, I just asked if NFB-28 could switch between outputs (preamp&headphone) or if they were all always on.  Then I realized there was a button on the front clearly labeled DAC/HP -_-

Dec 20, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #1,589 of 2,104
Does anyone have this with the Amanero combo384 USB upgrade? What exactly does it improve over the Xmos U8?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back