Audio-gd NFB-28
Sep 15, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #1,563 of 2,104

Also wondering this if anybody has any impressions. 

I used to own the NFB-28 for a while and I heard the Jot at the Schiit Show recently.  I think the 28 has a significantly better DAC section as the one in the Jot was pretty poor.  The 28 is a Sabre DAC, which I'm not a fan of these days, but it's a lot more resolving than the one in the Jot.  The one in the Jot has a better tonality, but it's kind of muddy (not the bass, just the overall detail resolution).  

I couldn't say from memory how the amp sections compare.  I didn't hear any obvious weaknesses in the Jot's amp section and, in fact, it sounded pretty good with the HD800.

Sep 15, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #1,564 of 2,104
Stillhart, how do you know the fault was in the DAC and not the Amp, or both? Did you have a separate DAC and Amp to individually test both stages? Just curious, as I too have been wondering about the Jotunheim.

Sep 15, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #1,565 of 2,104
Stillhart, how do you know the fault was in the DAC and not the Amp, or both? Did you have a separate DAC and Amp to individually test both stages? Just curious, as I too have been wondering about the Jotunheim.

Yes, I tested it with the DAC in my AK320 vs the DAC in the unit (both amped with the Jotunheim).  Both are dual AKM implementations but one was far superior.  Perhaps it's not fair to compare a $100 DAC to a $1800 DAP, so take that into consideration. 

Nov 16, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #1,568 of 2,104
Anybody know of a good SE to balanced convertor that wouldn't be an obvious weak link for analog inputs? SE just isn't giving me the volume I need from my phone.

Nov 16, 2016 at 6:35 AM Post #1,569 of 2,104
Anybody know of a good SE to balanced convertor that wouldn't be an obvious weak link for analog inputs? SE just isn't giving me the volume I need from my phone.

You want what now?

Nov 21, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #1,570 of 2,104

Hi, it seems that you are going to hurt your nfb28. I strongly recommend you not to do that.

Nov 21, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #1,571 of 2,104
SE is a +2V signal and GND. Balanced is one +2V and one -2V channel, which is double the voltage. I just want more input volume, and thought maybe there was an easy choice for SE->bal.

Nov 22, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #1,573 of 2,104
  SE is a +2V signal and GND. Balanced is one +2V and one -2V channel, which is double the voltage. I just want more input volume, and thought maybe there was an easy choice for SE->bal.

You can't have a "male balance" to "female SE" connector as it can cause short circuit. 
you can have "male SE" to "female balance" connector as the only thing that it does is that it cut signal into half.

Nov 27, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #1,574 of 2,104
For those wanting a comparison between the NFB-28 and Jot+Mimby, I recently sold the Jot+Mimby in favor of the NFB-28 (2016) and I think the NFB-28 is clearly better to me in virtually every battleground. The Jot has some quirks about it that make it a good pairing with the HD650 in specific but ultimately I think it's too fatiguing and has serious issues with staging and vocal presentation. The Mimby is a pretty good DAC for $249 but the ESS9018 implementation in the NFB-28 is more resolving to my ears with better extension at extremes and less colored sound overall.

I think the NFB-28 is a much better value at $750, and will pair better with leaner/brighter headphones such as HD800/HE-560 that Jot cannot handle at all tonally.

Nov 27, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #1,575 of 2,104
  For those wanting a comparison between the NFB-28 and Jot+Mimby, I recently sold the Jot+Mimby in favor of the NFB-28 (2016) and I think the NFB-28 is clearly better to me in virtually every battleground. The Jot has some quirks about it that make it a good pairing with the HD650 in specific but ultimately I think it's too fatiguing and has serious issues with staging and vocal presentation. The Mimby is a pretty good DAC for $249 but the ESS9018 implementation in the NFB-28 is more resolving to my ears with better extension at extremes and less colored sound overall.

I think the NFB-28 is a much better value at $750, and will pair better with leaner/brighter headphones such as HD800/HE-560 that Jot cannot handle at all tonally.

Thanks k4star.

I have a LCD-2 incoming. Which one do you think would pair better being the Audeze a dark headphone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back