Audio-gd NFB-28
Mar 30, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #1,486 of 2,104
It is kind of confusing as it almost NFB-28 acts like a pre-amp in the DAC mode.

It does work as a pre-amp in DAC mode. When I switch from headphones to my powered speakers, I have to changed the setting to DAC, and then my speakers work, and I can still adjust the volume.

Mar 30, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #1,487 of 2,104
Which version do you have? On my 2015 version, I switch the gain mode to "F" and the DAC/HP mode to "D". You should see the volume display show up as "--"

Mar 30, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #1,488 of 2,104
I mean technically all DACs are preamps/include preamps, because they all have a stage to bring the signal to 2Vrms (except for the rare few that just use a bunch of DAC chips to get close to 2Vrms, eliminating the extra circuitry but that's a silly distinction). A preamp just adds more volume range and some analog inputs pretty much.

Mar 30, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #1,490 of 2,104
Which version do you have? On my 2015 version, I switch the gain mode to "F" and the DAC/HP mode to "D". You should see the volume display show up as "--"

I have the 2016 version.

The DAC/HP button switches between "H" and "P". Headphone, and I assume PreAmp. No matter what I set the Gain to, the volume integer remains, even on "F".

Apr 5, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #1,492 of 2,104
Hi Everyone,

I am looking at the NFB 28 or 29, and I am somewhat familiar with the differences/benefits of the SE and Balanced HP outputs. I had a question regarding the use of the nfb 28/29 as a preamp running into a SE tube HPamp with tube preamp (Elise) I want to use at work. I like SS and tube for specific music and tracks, so having both is a bonus. My question is how is the preamp out of the NFB 28 different from the 29. Is it better to go SE -> SE or BA -> SE or does it only make a difference for the HP out?

If I am alone I like hooking up some powered monitors as well and was wondering if there are any issues running through two preamp stages (SS & tube)? I like to have the option to use the remote on the NFB 28/29 which is a major selling point for me. The speakers are a bit on the bright side and benefit from a tube preamp stage and the speakers don't have a remote.

Thanks for the input.

Cheers WB

Apr 5, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #1,493 of 2,104
If the rest of your system is SE, stick with the 29 for ease and guaranteed good SE implementation. You can run through as many pre-amp stages as you want.

Apr 6, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #1,494 of 2,104
If the rest of your system is SE, stick with the 29 for ease and guaranteed good SE implementation. You can run through as many pre-amp stages as you want.

Thanks, yeah the logical thing at the moment would be going with the NFB 29. I still am curious if there are benefits or disadvantages of going from balanced to se for preamps in the Audio GD amps. I likely have a very inexpensive display model LCD XC coming used so I am a bit torn about not having a balanced option.

Was also considering going for a DAC 19 instead of the NFB28/29, just having everything all in one with a remote sounds like a good idea and the NFB was recommended as being quite good wiith the LCD. There is virtually no price difference and I do like the idea of being able to "kind of" NOS the DAC with the 19.

Are there any other DAC combos under €1000 including shipping and import to tthe EU that I should check out?

Thanks in advance
WB

Apr 6, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #1,495 of 2,104

I still am curious if there are benefits or disadvantages of going from balanced to se for preamps in the Audio GD amps.

The most obvious disadvantage is you pay for the extra components of the balanced DAC and Amp, but use it in such a way as to negate the benefits.

Apr 6, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #1,496 of 2,104
Also on the Audio-GD web site it states If customer like to keep your headphone with single ended connector (6.3MM), choice the NFB-29H get better performance than the NFB-28. They are saying that because the single ended output on the NFB-29H is stronger than the single ended output on the NFB-28. There is still a benefit of using better cable on the headphone.

Apr 6, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #1,497 of 2,104
Also. going from balanced down to SE on the 28 can be hard to do properly (good grounding etc.). Not to mention noise handling, component selection, etc.

Apr 7, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #1,498 of 2,104
If you are using the DAC/Amp into active monitors it is preferable to use balanced outputs.  Most professional active monitors are optimized for balanced.  This is how I use my NFB-28, balanced XLR outputs to my Focal CMS50's, which sound great!  

I really like the NFB-28's rotary, relay-switched, volume control; it is a nice size with good feel.

Apr 8, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #1,499 of 2,104
  Mine is 2015. I see no jumpers, no special button except dac/hp, gain and input...
Regardless, what would be a good volume in the DAC mode?

Hi,
There is a DSD CTR button at rear of my nfb28 H mode
It determines whether you have a fixed volume or variable volume, when using nfb28 as a dac only.

Apr 10, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #1,500 of 2,104
Looking on buying the NFB-29H but got a question. 

is the RCA out at the back a pre amp out? 

I am currently using the Fiio e17 + e09k stack for solid state which pre amps out to my Modded Little Dot mk3. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back