Audio-gd NFB-28
Apr 10, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #1,501 of 2,104
  Looking on buying the NFB-29H but got a question. 

is the RCA out at the back a pre amp out? 

I am currently using the Fiio e17 + e09k stack for solid state which pre amps out to my Modded Little Dot mk3. 

Yep, you can use it as a preamp with adjustable volume or a line out with fixed volume.

Apr 11, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #1,502 of 2,104
If you are using the DAC/Amp into active monitors it is preferable to use balanced outputs.  Most professional active monitors are optimized for balanced.  This is how I use my NFB-28, balanced XLR outputs to my Focal CMS50's, which sound great!  

I really like the NFB-28's rotary, relay-switched, volume control; it is a nice size with good feel.

Thanks

I would likely go towards the 29H at this point.

WB

Apr 11, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #1,503 of 2,104
yeah likely would go NFB 29H. How is the sound of the all in ones compared to the DAC only, specifically the DAC19. Price wise in Europe there is almost no difference between a NFB29H and DAC19. The remote would be great as well as a second HPAmp, but I would gladly pay more for the DAC if it really is better.

Thanks for the imput

WB.

Apr 11, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #1,505 of 2,104
It's the same dac as the nfb-1dac. I went from the nfb-28 to the dac-19 and it is a big step up imo.

Apr 11, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #1,507 of 2,104

It's the same dac as the nfb-1dac. I went from the nfb-28 to the dac-19 and it is a big step up imo.

Finally someone giving me some feedback on the dac 19 vs. nfb28. How else did the two dacs differ in sound?

Thanks
WB

They differ quite a bit.  I've written much about the two, but it was all about a year ago so hard to dig up at this point.  But you're talking about the Delta-Sigma vs R-2R sound difference:

- NFB-28's Sabre DAC is very bright with forward, digital highs. This gives the impression of more detail and a bigger soundstage.  For a Sabre, it's a very smooth implementation.  Much easier to listen to than the poor implementations.

- DAC-19 is much more natural with treble that feels almost recessed when you're used to the Sabre in the NFB-28.  Once you accommodate, you hear that the treble is much more natural feeling and sounds much less digital.  The tonality in general is much more realistic, a major draw of R2R DAC's.  And there is a lot of detail on display across the spectrum and not just in the bright treble of the Sabre.

To me, the tonality and realism of the DAC-19 is the big draw.  I play drums so it's easiest for me to hear that realism in the cymbals.  Once you hear the DAC-19, you realize that the treble "detail" on the Sabre just sounds like digital static instead of the metallic shimmer of a cymbal.  Piano players and guitarists have also told me that those instruments sound much more realistic on R2R.

Hope this helps.  I've written a LOT about it in the past year...

Apr 12, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #1,508 of 2,104

They differ quite a bit.  I've written much about the two, but it was all about a year ago so hard to dig up at this point.  But you're talking about the Delta-Sigma vs R-2R sound difference:

- NFB-28's Sabre DAC is very bright with forward, digital highs. This gives the impression of more detail and a bigger soundstage.  For a Sabre, it's a very smooth implementation.  Much easier to listen to than the poor implementations.

- DAC-19 is much more natural with treble that feels almost recessed when you're used to the Sabre in the NFB-28.  Once you accommodate, you hear that the treble is much more natural feeling and sounds much less digital.  The tonality in general is much more realistic, a major draw of R2R DAC's.  And there is a lot of detail on display across the spectrum and not just in the bright treble of the Sabre.

To me, the tonality and realism of the DAC-19 is the big draw.  I play drums so it's easiest for me to hear that realism in the cymbals.  Once you hear the DAC-19, you realize that the treble "detail" on the Sabre just sounds like digital static instead of the metallic shimmer of a cymbal.  Piano players and guitarists have also told me that those instruments sound much more realistic on R2R.

Hope this helps.  I've written a LOT about it in the past year...

Thanks I will do a search on your posts and then get back to you if I have some more questions.

Take Care,
WB

Apr 28, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #1,509 of 2,104
Code:
[color=rgb(33, 33, 33)] Greetings to all , I apologize in advance for my English translated by google . I ask those who have the AudioGDNFB - 28 in combination with HiFiMan HE- 560 if you can make me a little review ! Thanks in advance[/color]

Apr 28, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #1,510 of 2,104

Code:
[color=rgb(33, 33, 33)] Greetings to all , I apologize in advance for my English translated by google . I ask those who have the AudioGDNFB - 28 in combination with HiFiMan HE- 560 if you can make me a little review ! Thanks in advance[/color]

I used those two in combination for a while.  I enjoyed it a lot.  It's definitely on the bright side of neutral, but it's nicely detailed and the bass isn't lacking at all.  

It's been a while since I had the combo so I can't really speak much more about it from memory.  You might try searching back in this thread for my posts to see if I posted more thorough impressions.

May 30, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #1,513 of 2,104
I've had 2 power switches fail mechanically in my NFB-28 2015 since I got it Jan '15. Does anyone know of a nice quality replacement switch that will fit in the chassis with little to no modding?

That's good to know. I guess I'm doing the best thing for my unit then, by keeping it on all the time. :D

Jun 24, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #1,514 of 2,104
I just bought a NFB 28 and find the volume to be way to low.

On H and L I get no volume at all (40 db max) on my HE 560 (XLR) and HD 800 (SE).
When I use F or 5 I get heavy distortion making listening to anything impossible.

I am using Windows 10 and the provided drivers from audio-gd. Any Idea what I might me doing wrong?
Connection is through USB.

What is the silver button on the back of the unit for?

Currently I am not very happy with it and thinking of a refund.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back