Audio-gd NFB-28
Jun 22, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #1,247 of 2,104
  Higher gain design can made the input sensitivity higher, less input signal can had louder sound .
Output power want to check by the machine ,max power specs is during with load, disctortion less than 0.1% .
For exsample a monster power amp had over 300 W but only 26DB gain.
And anther power amp had  100W but had 32DB gain.
In some case, like a 0.5V rms input signal level,  the 100W amp  made louder sound than the 300W amp. Because the 100W amp had 0.7V input sensitivity,0.5V input had 50W output , the 300 W amp need 2.5V, 0.5V input had 12W output, all based on 8 ohm state. . 
Is this can clear?

Yes,.. your input is always appreciated... and why I stand behind your products! Forgot about the effect of gain. Thanks!

Jun 22, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #1,248 of 2,104
  Makes sense. Still, doesn't that explain why the O2 was louder? I still am skeptical as to how the measurements of the headphone's volumes was taken. The SE gets pretty loud for me.

It was taking with a spl meter placed in the same area of the ear cup with the same pieces of music and same software settings.. I had wondered if something was limiting the DAC volume, but I'm guessing the difference was down to gain. 

Jun 22, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #1,249 of 2,104
It's been a while since I've heard the ODAC. I do know for sure that the Audio-Gd NFB28 was a huge step up in quality of sound imho. And as you crank it the clarity remains to be crisp and detailed. The ODAC was good but come to think of it, the distortion a at high volume are likely to levels of gain added. I wish I fully understood the detailed electrical side of amps... I just know what my ears are telling me. The ODAC is an alright amp, but nothing compared to an Audio-gd. Be proud to own an Audio-gd. They sound incredible!
Kingwa just stated the voltage differences and how they can effect the volume differences. The amps can be custom ordered with higher gain if that is what you so choose. I would imagine it would potentially introduce more distortion, especially as you turn it up more. Potentially blowing up headphones too :p

Jun 22, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #1,250 of 2,104
It's certainly a quality product from my limited experience. I don't think it's a dramatic upgrade over my ODAC/O2 stack in ABX, volume matched testing but the input and output option are more of what I was going for in this upgrade. 

I'm still wondering if there something on my signal chain that's limiting the internal DAC signal strength, since I trust that the amp is fine. Oh well, maybe I'll figure it out one day. 

Jun 24, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #1,251 of 2,104
I decided to keep my NFB28 2015 edition and sell the DAC19.  It's an awesome DAC, the NFB28 and so is the DAC19... But i'm upgrading to the Master 11. It was just announced and decided it would be perfect for what I want.

The DAC19 is going to the first buyer who makes a reasonable offer. It's got all the upgrades/options like TCXO and the billet aluminum feet, not the plastic ones. I paid a little under 900 new for it/ with fees/upgrades and shipping costs
 if you want a deal on a DAC19, i'm asking 720+shipping!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/772511/2015-6-24-audio-gd-dac-19-new-and-for-sale-custom-options

I can't see myself getting rid of the NFB28 though. It will be a staple on my fiance's desk. That amp/dac is just awesome for the money. I'm extremely happy with the way the Sabre Dac was implemented!

Jun 24, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #1,252 of 2,104
Unless you are going to go balanced you could just get the C2 and keep the DAC19 instead of losing your shirt on the DAC19.  Audio-GD products are awesome but their resale value is not.

Jun 24, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #1,253 of 2,104
Or I can just have my Master 11 and be shirtless. :)

I want to support Kingwa. He's been good to me. That Master 11 is exactly what i'm looking for.
the C2 only has 3000mw of class A power. as opposed the the Master 11 having 9000mw of class A power.

Also has two pair 3pin xlr headphone inputs, 4pin and 6.3 all in one. 
Not to mention it's balanced...like ALL of my headphones are terminated with balanced connectors.

:) thanks for trying to talk me out of it.

I'm sold on the Master 11. It has all the features I have been looking for in one unit. 

all for an affordable price. If you compare it to anything else like it on the market.

1850 isn't really too bad.

the YGGdrasil and Ragnarok is comparable, yet no where near that price. 

Jun 24, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #1,254 of 2,104
Oh I hear you.  Apparently there is a USB card update coming in September which I am waiting on to see which direction I go.  Or a 27 update which would also be awesome.  If the 11 is really biased to 9W into 40ohm it is going to be a beautiful room heater =)

Jun 24, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #1,255 of 2,104
  Oh I hear you.  Apparently there is a USB card update coming in September which I am waiting on to see which direction I go.  Or a 27 update which would also be awesome.  If the 11 is really biased to 9W into 40ohm it is going to be a beautiful room heater =)

a room heater indeed. I'm all over the Master 11. I will be ordering it with the USB card update. Amanero Combo 384.
I might order an extra one for my NFB28. But kingwa states the are pretty much the same performance. I just hope it may have better compatibility with windows 8.1
It works 99% of the time...but some minor hiccups.

I don't know what to expect as far as heat from the Master 11, but I can't imagine it's much different than my computer before I installed the water cooling. My room was well over 80F most of the time. Simply due to the GPU/CPU overclocking and lack of proper cooling.

Hope the Master 11 won't heat up a whole room too much!

Jun 24, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #1,257 of 2,104
Good for those winter nights though when you need to warm your hands and not up for getting the fireplace going :wink:

Jun 24, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #1,258 of 2,104
Good thing I have my master 7 & master 9 placed on top of two slabs of Ikea aptitlig, They help to absorb some of the heat away and any unwanted vibrations as well.

example:

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/ikea_aptitlig.htm

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #1,259 of 2,104
Yeah I understand now. I just feel a bit ripped off not having power on tap for the HE-6 like the spec sheet had me to believe, and that is extremely disappointing.

Specs aside, nfb28 can power he6 very well, quantity and quality. You definitely had to turn up the volume higher to match any headphones, and to appreciate it. We all hear differently, so it will be up to you to play with different modes, volume steps and components matching on/ with the nfb28 to enjoy it.

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #1,260 of 2,104
Specs aside, nfb28 can power he6 very well, quantity and quality. You definitely had to turn up the volume higher to match any headphones, and to appreciate it. We all hear differently, so it will be up to you to play with different modes, volume steps and components matching on/ with the nfb28 to enjoy it.

Yeah, I won't know until I try it. I listen at pretty low volumes, so I'm sure the NFB28 has enough grunt for my use case. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back