Audio-gd NFB-28
Jan 18, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #676 of 2,104
Can you think of any balanced DAC/Amp combo in the NFB-28's price bracket, new or used?  The closest I can think of is a Used Oppo HA-1 for around $1000.  I think the backer price of the Geek Pulse X ($777) is the only other one I can think of that priced comparably.  Used Gungnir+Mjolnir can be had for around $1200.

There just seems to be a large gap between the SE offerings and the Balanced offerings, price-wise.  NFB-28 seems to be the cheapest best balanced offering I can find.  

Honest question:  are there any other competitors under $1000 that are ACTUAL competitors (for example, not the Alo Island)?

Not many, which makes Audio-GD a pretty good value. Of course the 10.33 is cheaper than the NFB-28, making it the hardest price to beat. The only other combo unit I can think of off the top of my head might be a used Violectric V181 with the built-in USB DAC card, but I'm not sure how competitive the DAC section is.

Jan 18, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #677 of 2,104
Quite hard to explain, you have to hear it and/or be sensitive to it to know what it is. Like a hard edge and "harshness" in the sound, mostly audible in the treble. Its one of the reasons why some folks resort to R2R or even NOS DAC designs.

A well designed Multi-bit (R2R) Dac is unbeatable in my experience. NOS implementations, on the other hand, suffer from considerable HF roll off, which robs most music of their fine detail, separation and transient attack. I would much rather listen to a well engineered Multi-segment ∆- Sigma design, such as my much loved Emotiva DC-1.

Jan 18, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #678 of 2,104
A well designed Multi-bit (R2R) Dac is unbeatable in my experience. NOS implementations, on the other hand, suffer from considerable HF roll off, which rob most music of their fine detail, separation and transient attack. I would much rather listen to a well engineered Multi-segment ∆- Sigma design, such as my much loved Emotiva DC-1.

Or my much beloved Gungnir :wink:

Jan 19, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #679 of 2,104
So last night I learned about "noise floor" and how it affects the sound coming from the DAC.  Can anyone here speak to the NFB-28's noise floor?  I gather it's not something that shows up on a spec sheet.

Here's the discussion on the subject for reference.  With the song mentioned, I can clearly hear a lot more of the room detail with the Sabre DAC in the Geek Out SE than I can with the Wolfson in the NFB-15.32.  I'm not sure how much of that is down to the Sabre DAC and how much is down to this being the highest spec Geek Out that they make (per Larry Ho "about half" the noise floor of the normal GO 1000).

So yeah, just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on how well this does from a noise-floor perspective.  Now that I can hear it, I'm loathe to go back to something that might not be as good.

Jan 20, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #680 of 2,104

Can you think of any balanced DAC/Amp combo in the NFB-28's price bracket, new or used?  The closest I can think of is a Used Oppo HA-1 for around $1000.  I think the backer price of the Geek Pulse X ($777) is the only other one I can think of that priced comparably.  Used Gungnir+Mjolnir can be had for around $1200.

There just seems to be a large gap between the SE offerings and the Balanced offerings, price-wise.  NFB-28 seems to be the cheapest best balanced offering I can find.  

Honest question:  are there any other competitors under $1000 that are ACTUAL competitors (for example, not the Alo Island)?

Maybe the Yulong D100?
Seems like a very decent unit, but I haven't heard it myself, so can't say from experience.
SE headphone out though.

Jan 20, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #681 of 2,104
  Maybe the Yulong D100?
Seems like a very decent unit, but I haven't heard it myself, so can't say from experience.
SE headphone out though.

I actually had one for a bit.  I bought it at the same time as my NFB-15.32 and compared them for a bit before deciding on which to keep.  I kept the A-GD because it was a little warmer and paired better with my only headphone at the time, the Q701.  I thought the DAC in the D100 was actually slightly better but it was brighter and I preferred the Wolfson.  (I had the M-stage at the time so I compared the two DAC's using the same amp.)

Anyways, it would probably pair better with the LCD-2, but I'd consider it somewhat of a side-grade.  Also, as you mentioned, no balanced headphone out, just XLR out.

Jan 20, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #682 of 2,104
I was really close to ordering an Oppo HA-1 to pair with the LCD2.2f when I stumbled across this unit. Seems like a really capable dac/amp. Only concerned about the 1 year warranty, seems kind of low. Are they well-built?

Also, I'm confused about the upgrade - it says there's one for USB and one for the DAC, am I reading that right? $40 total?

Jan 20, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #683 of 2,104
  I was really close to ordering an Oppo HA-1 to pair with the LCD2.2f when I stumbled across this unit. Seems like a really capable dac/amp. Only concerned about the 1 year warranty, seems kind of low. Anyone had one crap out on them?

The general impression I've gotten on Audio-GD products is that they're built like tanks.  You'll often find ones that are several years old on the classifieds.  I know I haven't had any issues with my NFB-15.32, which is itself a few years old.  Take that FWIW, I guess.  I'm definitely curious to hear if I'm alone in thinking that.  lol

Jan 20, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #684 of 2,104
@scizzro Mine's coming up on a year old, no issues so far, and I haven't heard of any Audio-GD gears breaking down. Kingwa will fix any of them if you pay shipping after 1 year, IIRC. Also, I sent you a PM about your question regarding the gear found in the DIY cable thread.

Jan 20, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #685 of 2,104

The general impression I've gotten on Audio-GD products is that they're built like tanks.  You'll often find ones that are several years old on the classifieds.  I know I haven't had any issues with my NFB-15.32, which is itself a few years old.  Take that FWIW, I guess.  I'm definitely curious to hear if I'm alone in thinking that.  lol

@scizzro Mine's coming up on a year old, no issues so far, and I haven't heard of any Audio-GD gears breaking down. Kingwa will fix any of them if you pay shipping after 1 year, IIRC. Also, I sent you a PM about your question regarding the gear found in the DIY cable thread.

Awesome. I think this seals it for me. That and the fact that it's on sale right now for $680 
biggrin.gif

Thanks guys!

@jodgey4 - I just replied! I appreciate your suggestions

Jan 20, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #686 of 2,104

Awesome. I think this seals it for me. That and the fact that it's on sale right now for $680 
biggrin.gif

Thanks guys!

Where do you see it on sale?

EDIT - NM, I see it now.  Has that really been there since day 1?  I've been to that page probably 20 times in the last 30 days and never noticed it...

Jan 20, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #688 of 2,104
In RED below the navigation links :D.

Jan 20, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #690 of 2,104

biggrin.gif

Thanks guys!

Well, let me know what you think if you get it.  I have been really strongly considering it with my LCD-2f also, but I'm hesitant to pull the trigger until CanJam... 

Or maybe I'll get one now and then sell it after CanJam if I decide to go big.  *sigh*  The circle of indecision continues!  lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back