Audio-gd NFB-28
Jun 1, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #331 of 2,104
I've just got my NFB-28 unit and would like to say thanks a lot to kingwa for his responsiveness and excellent customer service. :)
I have the device hanged on both my MBP and Intel NUC (ubuntu minimal with XBMC) and listened for more then 3 hours on each of them, but did not notice the issue yet. The input is USB with the upgraded TCXO.

u mean the distorted sound issue after 3 hours of continuous use? if yes, the normal working unit shouldn't have that issue (i tested my new unit with 6 hours of continuous use, this 1 working well no distortion at all)

how about the truncated first half-second of your music, did u also experience the same issue? because kingwa told me the non DSD ver of NFB-28 didn't have the PCM/DSD muting design (maybe the earlier ver of NFB-28)

Jun 3, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #332 of 2,104
I have a issue/question related to video.  Kingwa is unsure of it as he hasn't tested video much and wants me to get some input from you guys.

The unit I have is a new NFB-3(2014), but since they use the same USB32 chip, it should be the same situation I hope.

So anyone that is using USB32 in Windows (preferably 7 to keep it consistent), can you try something out for me?  I'm having an issue playing videos and pausing/unpausing them and having the audio mute.

In Windows:
- If I pause the video and unpause within a few seconds, it works as normal and the sound works (no muting relay click)
- If I pause the video and wait longer (say a minute), when I unpause the video the muting relay clicks and actually mutes the sound.
- I then have to actually stop the video and restart it so the relay clicks off and on again.

This seems to only happen with Windows so I think it may be a driver issue.  I'm using the latest firmware and drivers from their website.  I'm using MPC-HC or VLC to play the videos in Windows.

If I test this in Linux, it works as expected.

In Linux:
- If I pause the video, a few seconds later the relay clicks
- If I unpause, the relay clicks again and sound works as normal.

So it looks like Windows/unit is getting confused and actually muting the sound on resume.

Thanks

Jun 3, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #333 of 2,104

u mean the distorted sound issue after 3 hours of continuous use? if yes, the normal working unit shouldn't have that issue (i tested my new unit with 6 hours of continuous use, this 1 working well no distortion at all)

how about the truncated first half-second of your music, did u also experience the same issue? because kingwa told me the non DSD ver of NFB-28 didn't have the PCM/DSD muting design (maybe the earlier ver of NFB-28)

I have not paid enough attention to this may be or simply the switch click wasn't there, but after your post I tested again and when I switch between DSD (DSF in fact) and PCM there is no mute for 0,5 what you are talking about. And the device supposed to be the new design from May this year.
I did not tested this yet on my mac, but I will do this soon.
May I have to write to kingwa about this and ask for advice how to fix it. :frowning2: I am a bit disapointed about this...  

Edit: forgot to say this is USB connection to my Intel NUC device running ubuntu minimal and MPD v.0.18.11 - if this does matter anyhow.

Jun 3, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #334 of 2,104
interesting enough - on my mac book it seems that the mute design works and the noise is not there when switching between the songs of any type.

On Linux, switching between two DSF files I hear the click/noise ... 

Could it be something connected with the drivers, I do not know. On Linux I do use alsa with bit perfect configuration for MPD, which can be something to do with the missing volume control.

Anyone else using Audio-gd NFB-28 on Linux with MPD? 

Jun 3, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #335 of 2,104
  I have a issue/question related to video.  Kingwa is unsure of it as he hasn't tested video much and wants me to get some input from you guys.

The unit I have is a new NFB-3(2014), but since they use the same USB32 chip, it should be the same situation I hope.

So anyone that is using USB32 in Windows (preferably 7 to keep it consistent), can you try something out for me?  I'm having an issue playing videos and pausing/unpausing them and having the audio mute.

In Windows:
- If I pause the video and unpause within a few seconds, it works as normal and the sound works (no muting relay click)
- If I pause the video and wait longer (say a minute), when I unpause the video the muting relay clicks and actually mutes the sound.
- I then have to actually stop the video and restart it so the relay clicks off and on again.

This seems to only happen with Windows so I think it may be a driver issue.  I'm using the latest firmware and drivers from their website.  I'm using MPC-HC or VLC to play the videos in Windows.

If I test this in Linux, it works as expected.

In Linux:
- If I pause the video, a few seconds later the relay clicks
- If I unpause, the relay clicks again and sound works as normal.

So it looks like Windows/unit is getting confused and actually muting the sound on resume.

Thanks

hi DaemonSire i tried to play video with nfb-28 and i got the same issue as you

I have not paid enough attention to this may be or simply the switch click wasn't there, but after your post I tested again and when I switch between DSD (DSF in fact) and PCM there is no mute for 0,5 what you are talking about. And the device supposed to be the new design from May this year.
I did not tested this yet on my mac, but I will do this soon.
May I have to write to kingwa about this and ask for advice how to fix it. :frowning2: I am a bit disapointed about this...  

Edit: forgot to say this is USB connection to my Intel NUC device running ubuntu minimal and MPD v.0.18.11 - if this does matter anyhow.

if u hear relay click noise everytime you start or stop playback thats normal, if your songs has a short silence at the begining, you wont notice the 0.5 sec muting

interesting enough - on my mac book it seems that the mute design works and the noise is not there when switching between the songs of any type.

On Linux, switching between two DSF files I hear the click/noise ... 

Could it be something connected with the drivers, I do not know. On Linux I do use alsa with bit perfect configuration for MPD, which can be something to do with the missing volume control.

Anyone else using Audio-gd NFB-28 on Linux with MPD? 

kingwa add that muting design to avoid the unpleasant noise between DSD and PCM file playback
if u heard cliking thats from relay mechanism and thats 100% normal, but if u heard noise can u explain more what kind of noise u heard?

this is the noise from my prev nfb-28 defective unit
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9sc9ij4psly8glc/Voice%20003.mp3

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #336 of 2,104
I am talking about the noise you can hear through loudspeakers/headphones, but not the click that you hear only from the device, which is normal on start-stop the play back.
And yes - it is the same as the one from your file.

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #337 of 2,104
ok, I figured it out... it was a setting in my MPD player called "dsd_usb" set to "yes". Once I changed that one to "no" - the mute design works now ok and the noise on switch between DSD and PCM disappeared.  :)
All works fine as expected now :)

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #338 of 2,104
  I am talking about the noise you can hear through loudspeakers/headphones, but not the click that you hear only from the device, which is normal on start-stop the play back.
And yes - it is the same as the one from your file.

if the distortion u heard as bad as the one i attach on prev post, maybe u also get a defective unit, in my case that kind of distortion only happen after 3 hours of continuous usage

but if your distortion is just like this one (first 2x clicks on file below is my mouse double click to start playback)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cryoky66pp1uie1/Voice%20005.m4a
that kind of noise is coming from your usb port, if you share your usb with other device (especially external hdd) that kind of noise usually happen and thats 100% normal

Jun 4, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #339 of 2,104
I would like to ask here, if it is normal, even when I turn the device to mute, I can still hear the music, just a little bit. So it's not 100% mute.

I guess before I have updated the new firmware v9 in May, it was mute. I am using a MacBook Pro.

Thank you.

Jun 4, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #340 of 2,104
  hi DaemonSire i tried to play video with nfb-28 and i got the same issue as you

if u hear relay click noise everytime you start or stop playback thats normal, if your songs has a short silence at the begining, you wont notice the 0.5 sec muting

kingwa add that muting design to avoid the unpleasant noise between DSD and PCM file playback
if u heard cliking thats from relay mechanism and thats 100% normal, but if u heard noise can u explain more what kind of noise u heard?

this is the noise from my prev nfb-28 defective unit
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9sc9ij4psly8glc/Voice%20003.mp3

Hey KnightThe2nd, that is awesome.  Thanks for confirming that for me.  Looks like mine is operating normally.  Hopefully this can be resolved in a future driver/firmware update.

Jun 4, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #341 of 2,104
I would like to ask here, if it is normal, even when I turn the device to mute, I can still hear the music, just a little bit. So it's not 100% mute.

I guess before I have updated the new firmware v9 in May, it was mute. I am using a MacBook Pro.

Thank you.

I don't have the NFB-28 personally, but have other amps.  This sounds normal to me.  If a signal is still going through the circuitry (what I mean by this is you aren't muting it from the source), you will likely still hear the music, very faintly.

Jun 5, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #342 of 2,104

Thank you.

No I don't hear anything on USB input when nfb28 volume is at zero, or my PC is mute. Don't have experience with usb from Mac tho.

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #343 of 2,104
I use NFB-28 on both MBP and Intel NUC with Ubuntu - in both cases when the volume is set to 00 I do not hear anything - not on headphones nor on the speakers. I have not done the change to "fixed line level" though, so I am using it in "variable line level" - which I understand is your case as well...

Jun 5, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #344 of 2,104
  Hey KnightThe2nd, that is awesome.  Thanks for confirming that for me.  Looks like mine is operating normally.  Hopefully this can be resolved in a future driver/firmware update.

yup i hope kingwa can fix this in next firmware update

Thank you.

its depend on what cans u pluged into the nfb-28, with hi sensitivity IEM i can hear some fainth music, but with headphone (small or fullsize) its dead quite

im on latest firmware, USB connection, win 7 pro 64bit

Jun 5, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #345 of 2,104
I use NFB-28 on both MBP and Intel NUC with Ubuntu - in both cases when the volume is set to 00 I do not hear anything - not on headphones nor on the speakers. I have not done the change to "fixed line level" though, so I am using it in "variable line level" - which I understand is your case as well...

No, I have done that change,so,maybe the change cause that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back