Audio-gd NFB-28
Aug 19, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #16 of 2,104
Quote:

Looking forward to this.  Haven't been using desktop rig for a long while and don't really have much idea the latest pecking order..... Any comparison to the NFB-28 would be greatly appreciated so I can have sort of a measuring stick when reading other reviews/comparison as desktop rigs are much harder to demo at meets/shops than portable gears.

Hope kingwa will be shipping these soon!

What headphones will you be using with this? I hope you're going balanced since that's the biggest aspect of this unit. I'll be trying the HD800 and LCD 2.2 on it.

-Daniel

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #17 of 2,104
What headphones will you be using with this? I hope you're going balanced since that's the biggest aspect of this unit. I'll be trying the HD800 and LCD 2.2 on it.

-Daniel

Mainly for my LCD3. Don't think I would bother to balance my Q701. Will probably get the HD800 to replace the akg but not sure the 9018 based nfb28 works well with brighter phones. What do you think?

I am now mainly using the LCD3 balanced from a dual 9018 based DAP with about 1w @50 ohm and I quite like the sound, and thinking the nfb28 can further improve. Either this DAP or the headphone out from the Pioneer SC-LX83 av receiver if in the living room.

Aug 20, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #18 of 2,104
Ahhhh! I've wanted a 9018 version of the fabulous nfb-10 for ages. The 10 was such amazing value. I can't see the logic buying the 28 now though as I've just got the Yulong DA8 & the Yulong D8 coming. Anyone looking for an all in one balanced unit though should jump on it imo.  Awesome.

Aug 20, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #20 of 2,104
Quote:
The NFB-10ES2 is it.
This one has a line in in addition.

There's also a larger R-core too I believe. The 28 certainly looks the better unit - albeit by a small margin. I'd pay the extra $100 if I was to get it, mainly for the separate headphone amp option.

Aug 20, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #21 of 2,104
Quote:
This one has a line in in addition.

Quote:
There's also a larger R-core too I believe.

All above, as official site stated
"What's different to the NFB-10ES2:
1, The NFB-28 have analog XLR and RCA inputs, can use as a dedicated headphone amp or preamp.
2, The NFB-28 have larger power R core transformer.
3, The chassis is different."

+
which is not stated on official site
4.BNC input.

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #22 of 2,104
Quote:
Mainly for my LCD3. Don't think I would bother to balance my Q701. Will probably get the HD800 to replace the akg but not sure the 9018 based nfb28 works well with brighter phones. What do you think?

I am now mainly using the LCD3 balanced from a dual 9018 based DAP with about 1w @50 ohm and I quite like the sound, and thinking the nfb28 can further improve. Either this DAP or the headphone out from the Pioneer SC-LX83 av receiver if in the living room.

I'll let you know. Keep in mind this is my first Sabre dac-and will also be my first time experiencing the Audeze. I'll have plenty to compare against all in house at the same time though-NFB 28, Bryston BHA-1, Nuforce Dac100...should be interesting!

-Daniel

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #23 of 2,104
I'll let you know. Keep in mind this is my first Sabre dac-and will also be my first time experiencing the Audeze. I'll have plenty to compare against all in house at the same time though-NFB 28, Bryston BHA-1, Nuforce Dac100...should be interesting!

-Daniel

Thanks. I have had extended sessions on LCD3 with BHA1 and quite like it. Definitely want to see how far behind the amp section of nfb28 would be.

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #24 of 2,104
That's mainly what I'm interested in as well. Bottom line-some of this stuff will be up for sale in a couple of weeks once I find a pairing/combo I'm happy with. Kind of hoping the Bryston beats out the AGD so I have an excuse to buy a BDA-2 to stack with the BHA-1.
tongue_smile.gif

-Daniel

Aug 21, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #25 of 2,104
Quote:
That's mainly what I'm interested in as well. Bottom line-some of this stuff will be up for sale in a couple of weeks once I find a pairing/combo I'm happy with. Kind of hoping the Bryston beats out the AGD so I have an excuse to buy a BDA-2 to stack with the BHA-1.
tongue_smile.gif

-Daniel

According to your profile you have Audio gd master 8, which is likely to be better than the amp part of NFB-28. Also a separate Audio gd sabre dac (and even NFB-27, which seems a straight upgrade from NFB-28) is likely to beat the NFB-28 dac part.

Aug 21, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #28 of 2,104
Quote:
According to your profile you have Audio gd master 8, which is likely to be better than the amp part of NFB-28. Also a separate Audio gd sabre dac (and even NFB-27, which seems a straight upgrade from NFB-28) is likely to beat the NFB-28 dac part.

I should really update my profile with more stuff I've owned, and what is here and gone.
frown.gif
 But-too much work lol.  Also-it's all about synergy and preference-it's not cut and dry 'this component beats that component' etc. I realize that the NFB would be technically behind the 27 and Master series-but as a cheaper all in one alternative, and balanced at this price-seems just phenomenal.
Quote:
I have Daniel's Master 8 unless he's gone out and bought another one. 

That's right-how's that guy treating you anyway? I can't remember what headphones you're using with it-but I bet most orthos would be pretty amazing with it.

On another note-I'm sorry to say that I've cancelled my NFB 28 order for the time being. Kudos to KINGWA for issuing me a refund with no questions asked in the span of ELEVEN MINUTES after emailing him with the request. 
eek.gif
 (I did mention all the prior products I've bought from him, sly me
evil_smiley.gif
). Reason for doing so was that I'm now contemplating buying the BDA-2 to match with my BHA-1 instead-so I'd have no need for a second ss, balanced rig at this point. I may be heading across country for work periodically now-and if so-I will DEFINITELY pick up a NFB 28 as that would be a pretty convenient, transportable, balanced, AIO.

Looking forward to your guy's impressions-and hope to be able to add my own sooner rather than later.
atsmile.gif

-Daniel

Aug 21, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #29 of 2,104

Quote:
That's right-how's that guy treating you anyway? I can't remember what headphones you're using with it-but I bet most orthos would be pretty amazing with it.

The Master 8 is a beast. It's up there with the GS-X MKII as the best SS amp I've heard, the GS-X being a bit leaner sounding. I know you had a complaint about the Master 8/Master 7 pairing being too flat, but my Reference 8/Master 8 seems to work well for both the HE-6 and HD 800. I don't find it sterile sounding at all, but the Reference 8 may also be a bit more lively than the Master 7.

On another note-I'm sorry to say that I've cancelled my NFB 28 order for the time being. Kudos to KINGWA for issuing me a refund with no questions asked in the span of ELEVEN MINUTES after emailing him with the request. 
eek.gif
 (I did mention all the prior products I've bought from him, sly me 
evil_smiley.gif
). Reason for doing so was that I'm now contemplating buying the BDA-2 to match with my BHA-1 instead-so I'd have no need for a second ss, balanced rig at this point. I may be heading across country for work periodically now-and if so-I will DEFINITELY pick up a NFB 28 as that would be a pretty convenient, transportable, balanced, AIO.

The NFB-28 is 11 pounds and roughly half the size of a Master 8. You sure that counts as transportable? Ultrabook/external 2.5" drive/NFB-11 or NFB-15 would probably be my size limit for gear that I would consider lugging on a regular basis.

Aug 21, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #30 of 2,104
I can all but guarantee you the Ref 8 is imparting a different signature than the Master 7. My Ref 9 was warm, thumping, outright musical-not similar to the M7 at all imo. Also-the GSX is really LEANER than the M8?!?! Thanks but no thanks lol. (I'll still try it sometime though...Peter?...Peter?...Peter?) Also-I'd be a lot more inclined to take a NFB 28 on an airplane than tube amp, or separates-especially the larger ones. Assuming it's the same dimmensions of his mid-tier gear (I've owned a lot of AGD stuff)-I think it's be a great transportable peice yeah...

-Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back