Audio-GD NFB-2 & NFB-3 Delivery & Impression Thread
Apr 2, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #676 of 1,577
that's not too bad ... i paid 20/01/11 and my nfb-2 is finally in cincinnati.  overshot me by a couple k km but at least it's in N.A.  just hope that the next flt will be to the great white north.
Quote:
Hopefully all this waiting turns out to be worth it. I ordered first week of March and they said it won't ship til mid-April.

Apr 2, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #677 of 1,577
I finally got my replacement DIR9001, the two modules look different in that a wire is attached to the chip on the new one.
Mine current one appears to look the same as the one on the website and drops the signal after 30 minutes.

The new one is installed and no dropouts.
smile.gif

Resolution and micro details seem to be up a notch with correct reciever, very pleased with my NFB-2 at this point.  Very good value vs performance, definately up a notch or two above my Paradisea plus.

Apr 2, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #678 of 1,577
So all's well that ends well, DAC-wise? I am very happy with my NFB-3 and the DIR9001, and seriously doubt I will ever use the WM8805. The level of "detail extraction" really is remarkable. Struggling for an analogy, it reminded me of my old days in high-end audio retail (analog only) 30 years ago.

We set up a Linn-Sondek LP-12 turntable with a Linn Basik tonearm and $95 Rega phono cartridge right next to a Thorens TD-160 turntable (which we also sold) with an idenitcal Linn Basik arm and Rega cartridge. Both tables were aligned precisely. You could play a record on the Linn, then move the same record over to the Thorens, going into the same phono pre-amp and component chain, and even a non-experienced listener (like many of our customers) could easily hear details when the record was spinning on the Linn platter that you did not hear on the Thorens TD-160, which is a very fine turntable.

That is how the transition from the Maverick Audio D1-to-Audio-gd NFB-3 transition has been for me. All those music files I thought I knew so well have details in them I did not hear with the Maverick.

Gotta write an actual Head-Fi.org NFB-3 review....

Apr 2, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #679 of 1,577
I am torn between DIR9001 or WM8805.  I hear the WM8805 is smoother and warmer but the DIR9001 is more detailed.
Does the DIR9001 make the NFB-3 brighter and more harsh or does it keep the smoothness and warmness but adds detail?
I would like both: smooth and warmth but with detail.

Also how much more is it for the DIR9001?  Is it the same price?

Quote:
So all's well that ends well, DAC-wise? I am very happy with my NFB-3 and the DIR9001, and seriously doubt I will ever use the WM8805. The level of "detail extraction" really is remarkable. Struggling for an analogy, it reminded me of my old days in high-end audio retail (analog only) 30 years ago.

We set up a Linn-Sondek LP-12 turntable with a Linn Basik tonearm and $95 Rega phono cartridge right next to a Thorens TD-160 turntable (which we also sold) with an idenitcal Linn Basik arm and Rega cartridge. Both tables were aligned precisely. You could play a record on the Linn, then move the same record over to the Thorens, going into the same phono pre-amp and component chain, and even a non-experienced listener (like many of our customers) could easily hear details when the record was spinning on the Linn platter that you did not hear on the Thorens TD-160, which is a very fine turntable.

That is how the transition from the Maverick Audio D1-to-Audio-gd NFB-3 transition has been for me. All those music files I thought I knew so well have details in them I did not hear with the Maverick.

Gotta write an actual Head-Fi.org NFB-3 review....

Apr 2, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #680 of 1,577
I am torn between DIR9001 or WM8805.  I hear the WM8805 is smoother and warmer but the DIR9001 is more detailed.
Does the DIR9001 make the NFB-3 brighter and more harsh or does it keep the smoothness and warmness but adds detail?
I would like both: smooth and warmth but with detail.

Also how much more is it for the DIR9001?  Is it the same price?

actually i think that most of ppl including myself opted for DIR9001 because it produces lowest jitter. It's free to switch to DIR9001. you just have to let Audio-GD know when you request a quote.

Apr 2, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #681 of 1,577
On the NFB-2 the WM8805 is smoother not neccessarally warmer just a little smoother. The DIR9001 is certainly the resolution king, the micro details are amazing. I opted to purchase the extra module for $23 in order to test for myself. I too will just house my WM8805 in my desk until higher resolution files are needed if ever.

Apr 2, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #682 of 1,577
actually i think that most of ppl including myself opted for DIR9001 because it produces lowest jitter. It's free to switch to DIR9001. you just have to let Audio-GD know when you request a quote.

I think Kingwa makes the WM8805 the default receiver so he can advertise 192khz file support via coax or optical input, whereas the DIR9001 is limited to 96khz, which is likewise the limit of the USB Tenor chip. I don't own any 192khz files, and am skeptical that I could hear much difference with 57-year-old ears that have endured two live Rolling Stones concerts, three Springsteen shows, etc. So I want the receiver that provides the most "detail," given that I take care to make the other components in my reproduction chain as top-notch as I can afford. Why someone would want a "smoother" receiver chipset if it is - by implication - less detailed is illogical to my inner Mr. Spock.:wink:

Apr 3, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #683 of 1,577
Thanks.  Going with DIR9001.  My NFB-3 is being shipped next week.  My C-2 is arriving this week.

Apr 4, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #684 of 1,577
I listened briefly with a friend together to Musical Fidelity V-Link the other day and also compared it to Genesis Digital Lens. The set-up is like this: Acer Laptop > Optical out to Genesis Digital Lens or USB out to V-Link > Audio GD NFB-3 DAC > Musical Paradise MP-428 300B integrated tube amp and a pair of JMLab Focal Floorstander clone. We couldn't tell much difference from this set up. We also used a quality Pioneer CD player as transport and V-Link sounded almost the same. It's a keeper.

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #685 of 1,577
my nfb-2 arrived yesterday & i listened on & off for approx. 6hr, playing the likes of st.germain, plant/krause, michel jonasz, lucinda williams (the kitchen tapes), charlotte gainsbourg. while it is still early in the burn-in phase, imo too much has been made about the sonic deficiencies of the 8805. i also picked up the dir9001 module & i may change my mind later, but for now, i have but one word to say about the nfb-2 w/8805 ... glorious!  music is full-bodied with depth, articulation, impact, air/space & other words that the linn crowd like to bandy about. this gear really makes me regret wasting my time with the likes of lesser products... i'm sure there are better products out there but i'm one happy camper atm. well-done, kingwa & audio-gd... very well-done!  the long wait was well worth it.

all my sources are cd's via sony 370 blu-ray player and amped by asl headphone pre dt, using primarily the t50rp (still stock atm) and for a short while a recabled k701.
Quote:
Quote:

I think Kingwa makes the WM8805 the default receiver so he can advertise 192khz file support via coax or optical input, whereas the DIR9001 is limited to 96khz, which is likewise the limit of the USB Tenor chip. I don't own any 192khz files, and am skeptical that I could hear much difference with 57-year-old ears that have endured two live Rolling Stones concerts, three Springsteen shows, etc. So I want the receiver that provides the most "detail," given that I take care to make the other components in my reproduction chain as top-notch as I can afford. Why someone would want a "smoother" receiver chipset if it is - by implication - less detailed is illogical to my inner Mr. Spock.
wink.gif

Apr 6, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #686 of 1,577

Quote:
my nfb-2 arrived yesterday & i listened on & off for approx. 6hr, playing the likes of st.germain, plant/krause, michel jonasz, lucinda williams (the kitchen tapes), charlotte gainsbourg. while it is still early in the burn-in phase, imo too much has been made about the sonic deficiencies of the 8805. 

Great to see that you enjoy the NFB-2 so much!
Long time since I saw someone mention Michel Jonasz...... Its about time that I try that insane bass line on 'Le temps passe"!
And its about time that I write a decent review on this DAC. Perhaps I'm just enjoying the music a bit too much to bother to spend some time writing a review
dt880smile.png

Apr 6, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #687 of 1,577
my nfb-2 arrived yesterday & i listened on & off for approx. 6hr, playing the likes of st.germain, plant/krause, michel jonasz, lucinda williams (the kitchen tapes), charlotte gainsbourg. while it is still early in the burn-in phase, imo too much has been made about the sonic deficiencies of the 8805. i also picked up the dir9001 module & i may change my mind later, but for now, i have but one word to say about the nfb-2 w/8805 ... glorious!  music is full-bodied with depth, articulation, impact, air/space & other words that the linn crowd like to bandy about. this gear really makes me regret wasting my time with the likes of lesser products... i'm sure there are better products out there but i'm one happy camper atm. well-done, kingwa & audio-gd... very well-done!  the long wait was well worth it.

all my sources are cd's via sony 370 blu-ray player and amped by asl headphone pre dt, using primarily the t50rp (still stock atm) and for a short while a recabled k701.

I am likewise ecstatic about my NFB-3/DIR9001 combination. The only thing I can add is that I have not detected any change in the sound from the moment I tuned it on for the first time (2-1/2 weeks ago) until today, however many hours I have put on it since then.

All Audio-gd units spend 100 hours on the bench before being shipped, and given the nature of the solid-state electronics they contain, I really don't see any reason why they wouldn't be up to their full sonic potential right out of the box. IMHO, YMMV, contact your doctor immediately for any musically-induced euphoria lasting longer than four hours, etc., etc.

Apr 6, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #688 of 1,577
my first cd of this recording was nothing to write home about ... otoh, my lp editions were "formidable"... the version i'm listening to now was given to me by dr. daniel  dehay (of reference 3a fame) - it is almost as good as the vinyl.
& u're right ... it is too much fun right now ... got to pull out some patricia barber and fred eaglesmith next, along with the thin red line o.s.t.
Quote:
Great to see that you enjoy the NFB-2 so much!
Long time since I saw someone mention Michel Jonasz...... Its about time that I try that insane bass line on 'Le temps passe"!
And its about time that I write a decent review on this DAC. Perhaps I'm just enjoying the music a bit too much to bother to spend some time writing a review
dt880smile.png

Apr 6, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #689 of 1,577

having purchased the compass when it was released, i'm quite familiar with audio-gd's factory burn-in phase. my experience differs from yours in that OOTB, my nfb-2 sounded bright for the first 2 hrs or so. could there be other factors contributing? .. sure ... nothing's written in stone except for the ten commandments ... which we all break to some degree or other... 
devil_face.gif

Quote:
Quote:

I am likewise ecstatic about my NFB-3/DIR9001 combination. The only thing I can add is that I have not detected any change in the sound from the moment I tuned it on for the first time (2-1/2 weeks ago) until today, however many hours I have put on it since then.

All Audio-gd units spend 100 hours on the bench before being shipped, and given the nature of the solid-state electronics they contain, I really don't see any reason why they wouldn't be up to their full sonic potential right out of the box. IMHO, YMMV, contact your doctor immediately for any musically-induced euphoria lasting longer than four hours, etc., etc.

Apr 6, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #690 of 1,577
Good to hear some more impressions, I can't wait for mine. My NFB-2 w/dir9001 and my DI finally shipped yesterday, so hopefully arriving early next week. I will try post some more impressions too once I receive mine. Only thing I have to compare it to is my Essence STX so can't really write much of a full review.

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back