Audio-GD NFB-2 & NFB-3 Delivery & Impression Thread
Apr 12, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #707 of 1,577

Quote:
A lovely cube/m-stage is fine with the NFB-2 as well.  Probably a modded lovely cube more than anything.

Yes, I know it'd be "fine". But I was just wondering which would be "finer" and how so.
darthsmile.gif

Besides, reviews are somewhat more complete only with comparisons no?

Apr 12, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #710 of 1,577
Received my WA6 today.  Now I really can't wait for this guy to get here!  (NFB-2)  

PV emailed me yesterday and told me it will be impossible to get it in 4 weeks or less.  =/

Apr 12, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #711 of 1,577
Hmm.  I'm wondering if I should change my order to the NFB-3?  Any advice?  Part of the reason I ordered the NFB-2 from PV was because they had a shorter delivery time for the NFB-2 vs. NFB-3.  Now, it seems like the NFB-2 will take a month and in addition to it, PV will receive it first, "test" it for 3-4 days and then ship to me.  

As far as the sonic differences between the two units, Kingwa told me that the NFB-2 had a blacker background than the NFB-3.  I owned a FUN which had an absolutely black background, and I'm sure the NFB-3 is better, so that doesn't seem like a big issue.  Kingwa also said the NFB-2 had a bit more extension, but now I'm thinking the extra $150 would be better spent on upgrade tubes for my WA6.

Apr 13, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #713 of 1,577
Quote:
Don't bother with Pacific Valve and order straight from Audio GD China.  Its what I did. 

Yeah, I'm planning to.  I've sent PV an email and hopefully they'll refund me tomorrow without a hiccup.  Probably would've been worth it if the 2/3s were in stock but PV's the worse option if not.

Edit: I don't even think you can ship back to PV if you need repair so I'm really not sure what the advantage of PV is supposed to be.  

Apr 13, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #715 of 1,577

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, I'm planning to.  I've sent PV an email and hopefully they'll refund me tomorrow without a hiccup.  Probably would've been worth it if the 2/3s were in stock but PV's the worse option if not.

Edit: I don't even think you can ship back to PV if you need repair so I'm really not sure what the advantage of PV is supposed to be.  

I know Joe at PV ...he will look after and stand behind anything he sells. Rest assured if you buy gear from PV and it fails they will service it. Just read the website info page for the straight poop. A-gd gear has a pretty good track record for reliability.

Peete.

Apr 13, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #716 of 1,577
Quote:
 I know Joe at PV ...he will look after and stand behind anything he sells. Rest assured if you buy gear from PV and it fails they will service it. Just read the website info page for the straight poop. A-gd gear has a pretty good track record for reliability.

Peete.

I thought this might mean that in case of repair, I'd have to ship back to China instead of PV.  Will talk to them tomorrow and confirm.

Apr 13, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #717 of 1,577

Quote:
Just wondering...

Anyone has a Marantz KI-Pearl or Pearl Lite to compare its DAC section with the NFB-2/3's?

I don't have a direct comparison between the KI-Pearl and my NFB-2. But I've made an extensive comparison between an Arcam CD37 and the KI-Pearl recently. And I found the NFB-2 to have some similar character to the Arcam (I'm currently trying to finish my review on the NFB-2 where I explain this in more detail).

The KI-Pearl has more present upper midrange. Which initially gives the impression of better detail. But when comparing more recordings I came to the conclusion that the CD37 gives at least as much detail, if not better. But it does so with a much more relaxed tonal balance. The highs of the KI are a tad more refined. But the CD-37 wins when it comes down to soundstage and weight/detail in the bass.
The NFB-2 shares much of the sound signature of the CD37. But offers more open midrange (particularly beautiful on female voices) and an even wider sound-stage. 

I hope this indirect comparison makes some sense to you!

Apr 13, 2011 at 5:26 AM Post #718 of 1,577

Quote:
Quote:

I thought this might mean that in case of repair, I'd have to ship back to China instead of PV.  Will talk to them tomorrow and confirm.

No, that means that if it has to be repaired, you ship to China if you bought from Kingwa in China. And if you buy with PV, that he does provide service.

Apr 13, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #719 of 1,577

Quote:
Originally Posted by middachten /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I hope this indirect comparison makes some sense to you!

It actually did, thanks!

I think I'm one step closer to ordering my NFB-2 now.

Apr 13, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #720 of 1,577
Quote:
No, that means that if it has to be repaired, you ship to China if you bought from Kingwa in China. And if you buy with PV, that he does provide service.

And it turns out you're right - here's the reply I received from PV: "If an item is ordered from Pacific Valve, we will service the item at Pacific Valve.  This gives our customers a US based contact and service center which many customers find reassuring.   (We can tell if the item has been purchased from us by the serial number.)  We do not service anything  that was not ordered from Pacific Valve.  Our service policies are as stated per our website."

So I'll probably be sticking with PV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back