Audio-GD NFB-2 & NFB-3 Delivery & Impression Thread
Oct 23, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #136 of 1,577
A-gd says their coax cable is Canare.  I imagine the L5CF? (and the complementary RCA plugs for it)
I'd assemble a cable for myself, but I don't have a transport anymore that uses digital coax.  Would like to compare the Canare to my Belden digital coax, but I'm too lazy now. 
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 24, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #137 of 1,577

Quote:
That uses a unique  current transmission implementation of SPDIF which I am not familiar with,  it gets good reviews though.  I think pricklyPete has one,  you may want to check with him. 

Yup...I really like the ACSS SPDIF out, it is properly terminated and actively buffered (IIRC) at 75ohms. The other output is a transformer coupled transistor driven conventional type (also properly terminated at 75 ohms IIRC). When one or the other flavor is in use one must use an RCA shorting plug on the side of the circuit not in use...in other words you can't use both types at once. I have a module from the DIY side of Kingwa's website that I bought almost 2 years ago that mirrors this circuit (he no longer sells the module) that I plan to use as a transport interface between my s/c and the RE1...I need to get myself the proper PSU board and traffo for this module (it takes + - 20V and 1 +10V DC  feed for optimum results).

^^^^ Underneath the copper box shielding are the two circuits each with a set of 2 outputs (1 BNC and 1 RCA).

Here is a pic of the CD7 section which uses the same circuitry rearranged and under a single copper box shield..... (same amount of outputs, 2 BNC,2 RCA). The copper shields are tied into chassis ground which double as the anchor points for the box itself. Pretty simple snipped leads (likely from the caps or the resistors during pcb assembly are soldered to each corner and then soldered to their own plated through holes) A simple but elegant solution. I wish more manufacturers would use shielding like this in their digital and analog gear.

The right hand set of outputs (ACSS) has the illumati coax mod applied to both types of jack. I much prefer the ACSS output so I didn't bother swapping out the stock SPC wire for coax.

IMO the the addition of the CD7 brought about a significant gain in resolution vs the other transports I was using at the time (a number of types from ordinary to purpose built top loaders). There is no question the CD7 transport complements the REF series DACs perfectly. I did notice that as gave the RE1 better quality dedicated transports the end result scaled with it...the biggest jump came when I added the CD7 (and then proceeded to tweak it and the DAC).

Peete.

Oct 25, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #138 of 1,577
Thanks for the fantastic writeup, Prickely Peete! I´ll be getting a CD7-FV to compliment my REF7/Phoenix next month... I noticed you haven´t changed the SPC wire. Is this because some silver is good in the digital domain? My REF7/Phoenix are both modded with Nucleotide OCC copper wire. I am wondering if I should ask for the same for the CD7, or use the default wires for that.

Oct 25, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #140 of 1,577
I remember getting a shorting plug for the Ref 3 but no instructions where to plug it in.  If i'm using the ACSS output, do i plug the shorting plug into the non-ACSS RCA socket, or the RCA socket for the ACSS output if I'm using the BNC?

Oct 25, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #141 of 1,577
The 'shorting plug' or termination plug is likely included for certification reasons. An open SPDIF connector with a high quality (=high speed & high power) driver behind it is a potent HF transmitter. At a sample rate of 44.1kHz it transmits at roughly 2.8MHz and its harmonics extending into the 30-50MHz range. The FCC doesn't like this (and CE for that matter). The termination plug solves this problem, and might even improve the signal quality on the other output (if this is connected to the same buffer output).

Oct 27, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #144 of 1,577
Well my NFB-3 is now supposed to be shipping out on Friday, which is a week later than originally quoted to me but still not terrible. I will be sure to post impressions/review here once I get is sometime next week.

Oct 27, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #146 of 1,577

Quote:
Well my NFB-3 is now supposed to be shipping out on Friday, which is a week later than originally quoted to me but still not terrible. I will be sure to post impressions/review here once I get is sometime next week.

Quote:
I ordered my NFB-3 yesterday at ampcity.co.uk.
smily_headphones1.gif
Yusuf is really nice person to chat with. Can't wait to get my first Audio-GD DAC.
smily_headphones1.gif

Great to hear guys.  Looking forward to your impressions.

Oct 28, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #148 of 1,577

Quote:
I remember getting a shorting plug for the Ref 3 but no instructions where to plug it in.  If i'm using the ACSS output, do i plug the shorting plug into the non-ACSS RCA socket, or the RCA socket for the ACSS output if I'm using the BNC?

Yup that is correct Curra (your first guess).....Use the shorting plug on the RCA/BNC side (or output) not in use.

Peete.

Oct 28, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #149 of 1,577

Quote:
Peete, you da man...I remember when you had your Zero and transformed it into the frankenmonster....Keep up the great work...

beerchug.gif

Thanks HF....I've been a busy bee Frankenizing all kinds of gear...cheers
beerchug.gif

Peete.

Oct 29, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #150 of 1,577

Quote:
Thanks for the fantastic writeup, Prickely Peete! I´ll be getting a CD7-FV to compliment my REF7/Phoenix next month... I noticed you haven´t changed the SPC wire. Is this because some silver is good in the digital domain? My REF7/Phoenix are both modded with Nucleotide OCC copper wire. I am wondering if I should ask for the same for the CD7, or use the default wires for that.

Your welcome vrln, 
regular_smile .gif

The one output (in the pic of the CD7) has the stock SPC still in place...the output that has the 2 pieces of illumati coax is the ACSS output (RCA and BNC jacks). I prefer the ACSS BNC output over the other "choices" by a fair margin so as a result I use it 100% of the time. Makes little sense to swap out the SPC for coax if I never plan on using it.

If you plan on using both outputs (on the CD7FV for example) I would strongly recommend using the same 75 ohm illumati coax (it's called the Illumati Ohm-Aha kit) rather than hookup wire (the Nucleotide in this case). Some will argue that this small length of wire makes the 75 ohm coax unnecessary but I like to make sure the data stream pathway is as optimal (to 75 ohm) as is possible. The kit price for 2 x 8in lengths of illumati (plus a short section of WBT silver bearing solder) is cheap at 12 USD per kit. A cheap tweak that I feel helps elevate the performance of the dac and transport. I also used the same illumati in my RE1 mods (and other DACs).

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back