Audio-GD NFB-2 & NFB-3 Delivery & Impression Thread
Oct 29, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #151 of 1,577
Ok, in the end i bought this cable: http://cgi.ebay.it/LOOPS-1-5M-1-RCA-MALE-DIGITAL-COAXIAL-AUDIO-CABLE-LEAD-/370433707741?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item563f91cedd
Couldn´t live up with the idea of having bought a high end dac, with 96khz receiver instead of the 192khz one for lower jitter, and then use an optical cable.
This cable seems very good, and has triple shielding. That is, gas insulation should work as good as teflon, but the cable it very cheap.
Hope i´ll really be able to hear a difference compared to the optical cable.

Oct 29, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #153 of 1,577
Ahahah. Well, indeed quite oftens we make up things, and believe them. I´ll try to believe not
smile_phones.gif

Oct 30, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #154 of 1,577
I wonder how hard it would be to remove my DAC-19 PCB and replace the SPC hookup wire with the coax cable that you mention.

Not quite NFB-3 related, but thanks for the tip on replacing the wire in the DACs.

Quote:

Your welcome vrln, 
regular_smile%20.gif

The one output (in the pic of the CD7) has the stock SPC still in place...the output that has the 2 pieces of illumati coax is the ACSS output (RCA and BNC jacks). I prefer the ACSS BNC output over the other "choices" by a fair margin so as a result I use it 100% of the time. Makes little sense to swap out the SPC for coax if I never plan on using it.

If you plan on using both outputs (on the CD7FV for example) I would strongly recommend using the same 75 ohm illumati coax (it's called the Illumati Ohm-Aha kit) rather than hookup wire (the Nucleotide in this case). Some will argue that this small length of wire makes the 75 ohm coax unnecessary but I like to make sure the data stream pathway is as optimal (to 75 ohm) as is possible. The kit price for 2 x 8in lengths of illumati (plus a short section of WBT silver bearing solder) is cheap at 12 USD per kit. A cheap tweak that I feel helps elevate the performance of the dac and transport. I also used the same illumati in my RE1 mods (and other DACs).

Peete.

Nov 1, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #155 of 1,577
Would any of you guys recommend the NFB-3 as a first DAC?
Most people seem to recommend DAC/Amp combos, but I'm not really looking for an amp as I already have one.
I've been using onboard sound for a while now and think it's time for a suitable upgrade.
After reading through this thread, it seems most people have positive impressions/expectations.

Thanks

Nov 1, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #157 of 1,577

Quote:
Would any of you guys recommend the NFB-3 as a first DAC?
Most people seem to recommend DAC/Amp combos, but I'm not really looking for an amp as I already have one.
I've been using onboard sound for a while now and think it's time for a suitable upgrade.
After reading through this thread, it seems most people have positive impressions/expectations.

Thanks

If u have the money, go for nfb-10, or else, the nfb-3 is the best choice.
I don´t know why people should really start from lower quality products when they have the budget to buy better products, when they buy their first system.

Nov 1, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #158 of 1,577

Quote:
whatever you get from Audio GD you can't be sorry

That seems to be the general consensus around here, lots of positive feedback/expectations. Thanks for the input

Quote:

If u have the money, go for nfb-10, or else, the nfb-3 is the best choice.
I don´t know why people should really start from lower quality products when they have the budget to buy better products, when they buy their first system.

Actually the NFB-3 is stretching my budget, I was originally considering the Matrix Cube since it'd come out to be 300 shipped, but the NFB-3 will run me around 360.
Also, as I'm fairly new to higher end audio, I can't justify spending too much money at the moment. It'd be like buying teenager an exotic as a first car; doesn't make much sense.
Also, I have no need for balanced output, so that'd go straight to waste :/
Thanks for the input

Nov 1, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #159 of 1,577

Quote:

That seems to be the general consensus around here, lots of positive feedback/expectations. Thanks for the input

Actually the NFB-3 is stretching my budget, I was originally considering the Matrix Cube since it'd come out to be 300 shipped, but the NFB-3 will run me around 360.
Also, as I'm fairly new to higher end audio, I can't justify spending too much money at the moment. It'd be like buying teenager an exotic as a first car; doesn't make much sense.
Also, I have no need for balanced output, so that'd go straight to waste :/
Thanks for the input

The nfb-3 doesn´t have balanced outputs. This is nothing exotic. This is just highend at low price. And i strongly believe it´s highend, though it´s only 360$.
It´s up to you if you want to spend the money or not. If you know it doesn´t make sense, why you ask? I can help you with sound decisions, but about how to manage budgets, dude, it´s your problem
smile_phones.gif
Actually, i don´t know what headphones you have. Maybe it´s indeed best if you buy a cheaper dac. You may not be able to discern the difference.
The audio gd nfb-11 is very cheap (it also has an amp). You could try that if you want to stay in audio gd house.

Nov 1, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #161 of 1,577
I have the DT990/600 with a Schiit Valhalla amp right now
Yeah I'll figure out the budget thing, that's my issue sorry if I started out wrong no offense.
I'm just trying to figure out which DAC to purchase
I was originally looking at the NFB-11 but reading around told me that it's a lot drier and "naked" rather than the stated neutral.
I'm looking more into the NFB-3 because it seems to sound more musical (that's what I'm looking for; I'm not much of an analytical listener, I just want my music represented accurately and enjoyably)
Of course there are other DACs available (portable solutions like the uDac or even desktop sound cards) but I want to find something that I'll enjoy for years and won't have to upgrade constantly.

Nov 1, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #162 of 1,577

Quote:
I have the DT990/600 with a Schiit Valhalla amp right now
Yeah I'll figure out the budget thing, that's my issue sorry if I started out wrong no offense.
I'm just trying to figure out which DAC to purchase
I was originally looking at the NFB-11 but reading around told me that it's a lot drier and "naked" rather than the stated neutral.
I'm looking more into the NFB-3 because it seems to sound more musical (that's what I'm looking for; I'm not much of an analytical listener, I just want my music represented accurately and enjoyably)
Of course there are other DACs available (portable solutions like the uDac or even desktop sound cards) but I want to find something that I'll enjoy for years and won't have to upgrade constantly.

Wolfson should definitely be more musical. I'm considering of getting one myself. I think you will like the NFB 3.

Nov 1, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #163 of 1,577
Great, thanks that sounds very reassuring.

//
I'll stop threadjacking here.
I'm in the midst of placing my order now.
I'll be sure to leave my impressions/comments when it arrives.
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back