Audio-GD NFB-2 & NFB-3 Delivery & Impression Thread
Oct 22, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #121 of 1,577

Quote:
Just get a Belden cable from BJC. In my experience, not using BNC connectors does more harm than not using some fancy wire, and there's no technical argument about it. 
smile.gif

Yeah, but my nfb3 doesn´t have a bnc connector. By the way, is a coaxial>bnc (coaxial in the computer side, and bnc in the dac) better than just coaxial on both side?

Oct 22, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #122 of 1,577

Quote:
Hey .Sup,
LOL, never a hassle, always a pleasure...
beerchug.gif

Well, from your sig you have the Ref-5DSP as well as the DacMagic.  If my memory serves me right, I believe you are listening to the DM a bit more as of late.  I always try to decipher on A-GDs site the musical and neutral flavors but my gear has been from the neutral column.  Out of those two which do you find musical?  I have the DM as well and maybe having some sort of comparison it might be easier for me to tell on the musicality.  I guess several factors come into play especially genres.  I consider musical not dry or analytical.  I can say neither of them (19DSP or NFB-3) are dry sounding.  You notice nuances in the music, but in a good way, if you will.

yo hey heatfan, Yoda would say- good memory you have. 
tongue.gif

yes I listen to DM 70% of the listening time and I find it to be much more musical. With my equipment Ref 5 sounds a bit dry, both DACs are very dynamic, Ref is more detailed or should I say details are more defined and thus easier to pinpoint, bass on the Ref5 is also tighter while with DM its a bit muffled. But overall I just prefer DM more, dunno why, suspecting Wolfson DACs are closer to my liking. If you can do a comparison with DM that would be awesome, no hurry, really. Thanks a bunch!  
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #124 of 1,577
Quote:
What were people's experiences with order to ship on the NFB-2/3? (time to ship). Thanks.

I guess it all depends on when the order is placed.  My NFB-3 shipped within a week after placing the order and once I received the tracking info, about 4 days.

Quote:
yo hey heatfan, Yoda would say- good memory you have. 
tongue.gif

yes I listen to DM 70% of the listening time and I find it to be much more musical. With my equipment Ref 5 sounds a bit dry, both DACs are very dynamic, Ref is more detailed or should I say details are more defined and thus easier to pinpoint, bass on the Ref5 is also tighter while with DM its a bit muffled. But overall I just prefer DM more, dunno why, suspecting Wolfson DACs are closer to my liking. If you can do a comparison with DM that would be awesome, no hurry, really. Thanks a bunch!  
smily_headphones1.gif

If I did not have to work this weekend, I'll start hooking everything up right now.  Will definitely get to it next week.  I'll hook them all up to my WA2 and have a listening fest....What are your musical preferences?

My memory is still kicking.....lol....Good to know..... 

Well, the NFB-3 is slammin' tonight.  I have not had much time lately.  I was listening to a little Talking Heads (Remain In Light) and was ripping an A7X CD and suddenly wanted a little DT action.  Something live I thought.  So I queued one of my faves (Live At Budokan).  But then I thought, hmm how about some visuals as well.  I have a nice rip I made of the concert and converted to MKV.  So fired up MPCH and voila---- MPCH (ReClock) --> NFB-3 (Optical) --> C-2 --> A5s....    
eek.gif
   Incredible sound....The sound was full and tight.  Basslines were rock solid and John's guitar was crystal clear and singing.  All this from an MKV......

Again, guitars and drums have been the stand-outs with this DAC, imo.

Good times, folks................
cool.gif

beerchug.gif

Oct 22, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #125 of 1,577
I made payment last weekend and am still waiting for a shipping email. I will update once I have more info though!

Quote:
What were people's experiences with order to ship on the NFB-2/3? (time to ship). Thanks.

Oct 23, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #126 of 1,577

Quote:
Yeah, but my nfb3 doesn´t have a bnc connector. By the way, is a coaxial>bnc (coaxial in the computer side, and bnc in the dac) better than just coaxial on both side?

Cya,
[/lecture mode on]
BNC is also coaxial (the word refers to the conductor in the middle and the shield around that in a co-axial shape).
BNC is the type of connector, the standard audio connector is usually referred to as RCA. The BNC type of plug is used in communications and measurement equipment when high frequencies are involved. It is designed to provide optimum impedance matching. This is needed to provide a high quality pass-trough of HF signals (we are talking MHz range signals here).
You can compare this to looking to a Macbook screen that is glossy (which I'm doing at the moment). When you are wearing a light color shirt and have a darker background you see yourself in the screen. It blurs the image. When you wear black and have a (relatively) dark background, there is less reflection and the screen image is sharper. In other words the impedance (color) matches.
Impedance mis-match causes reflection of the signal, which causes blurring of the signal.

There is quite a good article on this to be found here:http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue14/spdif.htm.
[/lecture mode off]

Its always better to have as much impedance matching as possible (connectors, cable, internal cable). So, the answer is yes!
NB: you have to use 75ohm connectors, most communication equipment uses 50ohm. 

(Sorry for bothering you with a long answer
wink.gif
)

Oct 23, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #127 of 1,577
You have to have a transport with a true 75 ohm output impedance (not just a BNC jack) and a DAC with a true 75 ohm input impedance at the board (again not just a BNC jack),  point is very few transports or DAC's even meet these requirements and unless you test your system with a scope your odds of BNC mattering are pretty slim.  If you have the knowledge to fix the transport and the DAC then obviously BNC can nearly eliminate reflections,  but I have not come across many commercial DAC's or transports that meet these requirements.

Oct 23, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #128 of 1,577

Quote:
You have to have a transport with a true 75 ohm output impedance (not just a BNC jack) and a DAC with a true 75 ohm input impedance at the board (again not just a BNC jack),  point is very few transports or DAC's even meet these requirements and unless you test your system with a scope your odds of BNC mattering are pretty slim.  If you have the knowledge to fix the transport and the DAC then obviously BNC can nearly eliminate reflections,  but I have not come across many commercial DAC's or transports that meet these requirements.

Interesting post... Do you know if the Audio-gd CD7-FV is a true 75 ohm one? I´m looking for a transport right now, and to me it seems like the best choice to compliment the REF7.

Oct 23, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #129 of 1,577

Quote:
Interesting post... Do you know if the Audio-gd CD7-FV is a true 75 ohm one? I´m looking for a transport right now, and to me it seems like the best choice to compliment the REF7.

That uses a unique  current transmission implimentation of SPDIF which I am not familiar with,  it gets good reviews though.  I think pricklyPete has one,  you may want to check with him. 

Oct 23, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #130 of 1,577
Thanks... Maybe he´ll notice these posts and give a brief review
smily_headphones1.gif
I´ll be buying one next month, as it´s a limited run and was originally built to compliment the REF series. The next CD transport will no doubt be tailored for the new NFB´s.

Oct 23, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #131 of 1,577

Quote:

On the Audio-GD website it clearly says 75Ohm.
I wouldn't expect anything else. If a manufacturer takes the trouble to install a BNC connector it would be odd not to make it a 75Ohm one.
The chipset output and the connector as such is usually not the issue. But most designers ruin the SPDIF output signal in order to comply with FCC regulations. They just top-off the bandwith of the output, resulting in reduced slope steepness, making it more difficult to have low jitter at the receiver end.

Oct 23, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #132 of 1,577

Quote:

I wouldn't expect anything else. If a manufacturer takes the trouble to install a BNC connector it would be odd not to make it a 75Ohm one.

As I said earlier installing a 75 ohm BNC connector does not mean a 75 ohm impedance ouput,  I have seen 75 ohm connectors installed on a transmitting circuit that runs at 40 ohms.   Same issues on the receiving end.   

My point is if you are so concerned about having BNC you have to dig deeper and make sure it is really a 75 ohm transmission,  that means either trust in the manufacturer or  knowledge to rectiify the shortcuts.  Almost everyone gets by with plain ole' RCA and frankly its not much worse than some manufacturers BNC implementations.

Oct 23, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #135 of 1,577

Quote:

Cya,
[/lecture mode on]
BNC is also coaxial (the word refers to the conductor in the middle and the shield around that in a co-axial shape).
BNC is the type of connector, the standard audio connector is usually referred to as RCA. The BNC type of plug is used in communications and measurement equipment when high frequencies are involved. It is designed to provide optimum impedance matching. This is needed to provide a high quality pass-trough of HF signals (we are talking MHz range signals here).
You can compare this to looking to a Macbook screen that is glossy (which I'm doing at the moment). When you are wearing a light color shirt and have a darker background you see yourself in the screen. It blurs the image. When you wear black and have a (relatively) dark background, there is less reflection and the screen image is sharper. In other words the impedance (color) matches.
Impedance mis-match causes reflection of the signal, which causes blurring of the signal.

There is quite a good article on this to be found here:http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue14/spdif.htm.
[/lecture mode off]

Its always better to have as much impedance matching as possible (connectors, cable, internal cable). So, the answer is yes!
NB: you have to use 75ohm connectors, most communication equipment uses 50ohm. 

(Sorry for bothering you with a long answer
wink.gif
)

Pretty nice. I bet audio gd coaxial cable are 75 ohm. So far i´ll be enjoying my optical cable inlcuded. It looks pretty good. Next time i order something from audio gd (maybe the new nfb-10
L3000.gif
next year), i´ll get a good coaxial cable too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back