Audio-GD NFB-2 & NFB-3 Delivery & Impression Thread
Aug 15, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #1,231 of 1,577
I lost my nfb-12 and wondering if I should replace it or try a nfb-2 with a tube or a audio-gd c-2.1. Just wondering, is the dac in the nfb-12 the same as in the nfb-2? Just looking at the dac in these two boxes, what difference should I expect? I have no experience with tubes, but want to try it out. It should work well with both nfb-12 and nfb-2 right?

Aug 16, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #1,234 of 1,577
Am I the only one unsatisfied with the nfb-3? I find the sound too warm. It's connected to a speaker amp. Maybe it is good only in acss mode with audio gd speaker amps or headphone amps?
Pls share your opinions on this.

Aug 16, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #1,235 of 1,577
Well the chip inside is a warm chip (Wolfson). you might want to look into a Sabre based DAC if you wanted something more bright. you could also try pairing it with a bright amp or bright phones to compensate.

personally i find the Coaxial input a lot warmer than the optical input, which is very bright and forward.

Aug 16, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #1,236 of 1,577

Quote:
Well the chip inside is a warm chip (Wolfson). you might want to look into a Sabre based DAC if you wanted something more bright. you could also try pairing it with a bright amp or bright phones to compensate.

personally i find the Coaxial input a lot warmer than the optical input, which is very bright and forward.

Well, I'm not gonna buy anothe dac. I'm not ultra rich guy who can buy 3 dacs just to find the one he likes -.-.
Btw, is really there so much difference between coaxial and optical?

Aug 16, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #1,237 of 1,577
I can definitely hear a difference. Coaxial is smoother and laid back, and like I mentioned, optical is more bright and forward.

At first I thought optical was more detailed, but after further listening it appears to be more of a treble emphasis instead of clarity. I've grown to prefer the coaxial as it sounds more balanced and is less fatiguing. (Coaxial is being fed with a Digital Interface btw)

Aug 18, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #1,240 of 1,577
Cyan: You need to fill in your profile with what gear you have. We can't answer your issues without knowing everything you're using in detail. 
smile.gif

Aug 18, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #1,242 of 1,577
Ok Kingwa just replied me and told me that the acss works with rca output too. I would to ask another question though. I'm not sure, but maybe the sound via rca is better with the acss button pushed. Can you guys confirm this too? I'm not sure if it's really better or if it's just something psychological.

Aug 18, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #1,243 of 1,577
In our all ACSS products, the ACSS circuits always working even though RCA or XLR output.
The ACSS output point connect a passive I/V converter resistor, converte the ACSS (which is current signal) to voltage signal, then via a transistors buffer connect  the RCA or XLR output.
In NFB2/3, the ACSS/RCA button just configure the signal for the ACSS or RCA output. But the ACSS and RCA always have output unless the ACSS connect an active ACSS amp .
Even the button on the ACSS setting , the RCA still have output but the signal configuration not the best , this is can easy verify by an oscillograph but maybe some users can't hear the different .

Aug 18, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #1,244 of 1,577
Btw guys, do you suggest me to sell the nfb-3 and buy the nfb-5 to use with my speakers. So I can use the nfb-5 preamp too. Do you think the overall quality would be lower?

Aug 18, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #1,245 of 1,577
Ok, another question. As I would need a preamp, and wouldn't mind having a balanced headphone amp for my audeze lcd-2 (though right now I can't afford 100 euro for the cables -.-), and in the future I may buy a balanced speaker amp, I was considering the nfb-10 too. If I decide on buying it, it will be in the future, when I'll have enough money to pay for it
biggrin.gif
. So, are there any comparison of the nfb-10 (connected unbalanced) and the nfb-2/3 dac?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back