Audio-GD NFB-2 & NFB-3 Delivery & Impression Thread
Jun 18, 2011 at 5:11 AM Post #1,081 of 1,577

Quote:
I have started my  "journey" 

june 7th received payment
june 16th still awaiting the moment my supposed in stock NFB2 will be shipped 
confused.gif

Hopefully it will arrive before my vacation 

yeah it has arrived, paying only 40 euros for customs...
wink_face.gif

Jun 18, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #1,082 of 1,577
Question:

I've hooked up the NFB2 and it plays fine via the USB interface.
But I'm encountering some problem with the sample rate:

44.1 kHz,48 kHz,  96 kHz is fine The DAC works.

But the other sample rates 88.2 kHz 192 kHz aren't supported according foobar.

does somebody know what the specs are of the USB interface?

Jun 18, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #1,083 of 1,577

Quote:
Question:

If you're using the DIR9001 chip then it should support everything up to 96/24.
I remember Kingwa stated that it supported 88.2 Khz somewhere in this thread.

Did you ship by EMS or DHL?

Jun 18, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #1,084 of 1,577
Been reading a ton of these threads and learning.  Have a NFB-3.  Love the weight of the DAC - bass, mid, high all have a darker/fatter/meatier tone.  However, it sounds like a lower resolution DAC than the HRT Music Monitor II+.  The Monitor II+ also sound a bit more airy if that's the right word.   I wish the NFB-3 could keep that weighty tone, but have better resolution.  It sounds a bit like a lower bitrate MP3 when I compare the two....

Anyone else find that or am I out to lunch....:)

Thanks,
UL

It's probably due to the cut-off filter in the NFB series having a slow roll-off whereas a lot of gear has a sharp cut-off as it looks more impressive on a graph, though is technically worse in some respects. As we perceive tonal changes more readily than anything else, as well as easily mistakenly associate the amount of treble with the amount of detail retrieval, those things have to be taken in to account when evaluating gear.

Question:

Audio-gd gear uses the Tenor USB chip which doesn't support 88.2 kHz or higher than 96 kHz. However, I wouldn't concern yourself with greater than 96 kHz as the benefits are questionable.

Jun 18, 2011 at 6:04 AM Post #1,086 of 1,577

Quote:
Quote:
Been reading a ton of these threads and learning.  Have a NFB-3.  Love the weight of the DAC - bass, mid, high all have a darker/fatter/meatier tone.  However, it sounds like a lower resolution DAC than the HRT Music Monitor II+.  The Monitor II+ also sound a bit more airy if that's the right word.   I wish the NFB-3 could keep that weighty tone, but have better resolution.  It sounds a bit like a lower bitrate MP3 when I compare the two....

Anyone else find that or am I out to lunch....:)

Thanks,
UL

It's probably due to the cut-off filter in the NFB series having a slow roll-off whereas a lot of gear has a sharp cut-off as it looks more impressive on a graph, though is technically worse in some respects. As we perceive tonal changes more readily than anything else, as well as easily mistakenly associate the amount of treble with the amount of detail retrieval, those things have to be taken in to account when evaluating gear.

Quote:
Question:

Audio-gd gear uses the Tenor USB chip which doesn't support 88.2 kHz or higher than 96 kHz. However, I wouldn't concern yourself with greater than 96 kHz as the benefits are questionable.

It's not a quality question for me but just annoying I can't play  music which I've alreay got and liked to listen to.
I'll try the Coax input, perhaps I can get that working

Jun 18, 2011 at 6:47 AM Post #1,089 of 1,577
What is your source? Since you are using footbar I guessing that you are using a Windows computer. Do you have 88.2kHz selected as one of the supported formats under properties for your digital output device? I would be surprised if NFB2  can not decode 88.2kHz  files other than using the  USB port. Your SACD  files could also be in a format like DTS audio or Dolby Digital that the NFB2   can not read?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back