Audio-GD NFB-2 & NFB-3 Delivery & Impression Thread
Jan 13, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #361 of 1,577

You have to compare electrical parameters among specifications or perform measurements on outputs to decide how much off-the-self 3-pin linear regulator is worst than discrete linear/Class A. While data sheet for any 3-pin linear regulator is available form manufacturer's website, specifications for discrete linear/Class A are only available from equipment designer (such as Kingwa from Audio-GD). So as a buyer, I can only speculate based on the fact discrete implementation must be better than integrated circuit product and performance of audio equipments heavily depends on good power supply implementation.

Take note that the discrete Class A design is referring to output regulation of power supply but not buffer/amplification stage of DAC though it can be applied for both purposes. Power supply with class A regulation and amplifier with class A amplification are two different things with similar circuit design.

Quote:
So, 3-pin linear is significantly worse (vs. Class A) aurally ? For example NFB-1 against NFB-10.

Quote:

Jan 15, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #362 of 1,577
There is also a big difference between various 3-leg regulators. The classic 78xx/79xx series are the worst. Even a simple transistor/zener based regulator will sound better with only 4 components (1 zener, 2 resistors and a transistor).
But the 317/337 series are actually quite OK. You need circuits like the A-GD class-A regulator or the Tentlabs shunt regulator to improve on that. Kingwa wrote that his 'discrete linear regulator' is mainly used because it can supply higher current than a 317/337. 

The Wikipedia article on Class-A refers to amplifiers. Basically its the same technology. Only the application is quite different (transmitting an AC signal v.s. transmitting a DC signal!).

Jan 21, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #363 of 1,577
How does one know if they have the 192khz or 96hhz model?  I ordererd the 192khz model and in windows it only shows up to 96khz and TE7022 in sound settings.

Jan 21, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #364 of 1,577
IIRC the USB is always limited to 24/96 due to the USB receiver chip. For 24/192 you have to use coax. Try 192 from a coax source and see if it works to check your version.

Jan 21, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #366 of 1,577
This may be a stupid question but is the ACSS/RCA toggle a placebo button?  Both RCA and ACSS sounds exactly the same to me with the button in either position.  The only way I can tell that it is connected is the auditory 'pop' between in and out positions.

Jan 22, 2011 at 6:50 AM Post #369 of 1,577
You might not notice much difference until you get higher-end headphones, or it might depend on the quality of the recordings you listen with.  Tonally though, they'll be the same unless you change the OPAMPs in the RCA input section of the C2.

Jan 22, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #370 of 1,577
The difference between ACSS and RCA (with OPA604) is very apparent.  With RCA it sounds like BASS boost has been enabled and the instruments are more "smooshed" together.  That aside, the ACSS/RCA button on the NFB-3 outputs to both RCA and ACSS regardless of which position the selector switch is in, and in either position sounds identical.  I'm using both MS-2i's and MS-pro's so these aren't the worst can's out there for analytics.

Quote:
You might not notice much difference until you get higher-end headphones, or it might depend on the quality of the recordings you listen with.  Tonally though, they'll be the same unless you change the OPAMPs in the RCA input section of the C2.

Jan 22, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #371 of 1,577
I just pulled the trigger on the NFB-3!  Right now, Audio-GD is offering a 5% discount on the NFB-2 and NFB-3 pre-order.  Shipping won't be until the 15th of February, due to back orders & the upcomming Chinese national holidays.

I'm currently DAC-less, as I just sold my Pico to help fund the NFB-3.  It's gonna be a long few weeks 'till the NFB-3 arrives.  I'm sure my initial impressions of the NFB-3 will be quite favorable, especially with my current (temporary) direct iPod to Woo-6 configuration.  It lacks some SQ and bass punch, but it's better than nothing.

For the NFB, I plan to go Optical from my Macbook Pro, but I've read that USB is better for other head-fiers' setups.  Anyone currently using an NFB-3 with a Woo-6 via optical?

I chose the DHL shipping option under Edwin's advice.  Who delivers DHL?  I read a newspaper article that UPS delivers DHL packages now, but then I saw a DHL van in my local area yesterday.

(Edit: Please accept my apologies, as this post may be toeing the line on thread hi-jacking; I see the previous few entries had to do with  a power supply topic.)

Jan 22, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #372 of 1,577

Quote:
The difference between ACSS and RCA (with OPA604) is very apparent.  With RCA it sounds like BASS boost has been enabled and the instruments are more "smooshed" together.  That aside, the ACSS/RCA button on the NFB-3 outputs to both RCA and ACSS regardless of which position the selector switch is in, and in either position sounds identical.  I'm using both MS-2i's and MS-pro's so these aren't the worst can's out there for analytics.

I also notice no difference with the front switch (ACSS, RCA).

Quote:
I just pulled the trigger on the NFB-3!  Right now, Audio-GD is offering a 5% discount on the NFB-2 and NFB-3 pre-order.  Shipping won't be until the 15th of February, due to back orders & the upcomming Chinese national holidays.

I'm currently DAC-less, as I just sold my Pico to help fund the NFB-3.  It's gonna be a long few weeks 'till the NFB-3 arrives.  I'm sure my initial impressions of the NFB-3 will be quite favorable, especially with my current (temporary) direct iPod to Woo-6 configuration.  It lacks some SQ and bass punch, but it's better than nothing.

For the NFB, I plan to go Optical from my Macbook Pro, but I've read that USB is better for other head-fiers' setups.  Anyone currently using an NFB-3 with a Woo-6 via optical?

I chose the DHL shipping option under Edwin's advice.  Who delivers DHL?  I read a newspaper article that UPS delivers DHL packages now, but then I saw a DHL van in my local area yesterday.

(Edit: Please accept my apologies, as this post may be toeing the line on thread hi-jacking; I see the previous few entries had to do with  a power supply topic.)

Congrats....Your post is very relevant....  I personally like the usb from the NFB-3.  I have also used the optical and coax and consider any of the three great choices.
In reference to the shipping, I have been reading folks are now using DHL more with A-GD.  I have made several purchases in the last year and always used EMS with no problems whatsoever.  I guess something must have changed.

Jan 22, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #374 of 1,577
Last summer, I purchased a radio on e-bay from a manufacturer in China (Redsun), & it was shipped via EMS/USPS.  I didn't have any problem whatsoever with EMS for that shipment. 

When I placed my order with Audio GD, I received an email reply from Edwin; he indicated that DHL would be the better choice, as EMS typically adds an extra 2 - 3 weeks for shipping time.  So, since I'm already waiting until February 15th, I didn't want to choose the option which added any additional shipping time.  My decision to go with DHL this time was based solely upon Edwin's response.  (Perhaps Edwin gets a kickback from DHL
wink_face.gif
)

Regarding the USB vs. Optical - I've read many posts which point towards optical as the better sonic choice.  I'm looking forward to comparing both,  and posting my findings.  My previous Headroom Dac offerred both types inputs - I preferred the optical from my Macbook Pro.

This is interesting: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/USB-v-SPDIF

For budget reasons, I've already decided to go with the NFB-3.

Hypothetically, regarding the NFB-2 vs. NFB-3 - if a buyer only had an extra $150 - would that be better spent on the NFB-2, with its upgraded power supply, or should that $150 go towards the Audio GD digital interface (version B)?  Which choice would offer the most performance/dollars ratio?

The importance of a quality power supply has been noted on this thread (as well as countless others).  The effect of a digital interface (M2 Tech Hi Face), seems to be worth the money spent, according to some threads.

Personally, past experience leads me to the upgraded power supply and the optical connection.  After reading the aforementioned article (see link), I really think its up to the equipment synergy; some connections work better with some systems vs. others.

Jan 22, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #375 of 1,577

Quote:
why are folks using DHL more?  That is the question but never had problems with EMS.  Since they transfer to USPS in the states which is imo is the best mailing service.

I have an audio-gd package shipped dec 3 and is still in limbo. Supposedly it is now in frankfurt airport or somewhere, stuck due to all the snow, but it should start moving again within 6 days. After this experience, no more ems for me :p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back