Audio-GD NFB-15.32 Delivery & Impression Thread
Jan 29, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #616 of 961
  Mine finally arrived. So far sounding good. Seems to pair with HD700's ok.

When I turn the amp up to 100% I can definitely hear hiss in the background with no music playing. Probably normal? I have read some people claiming there being absolute silence.

Try seeing if you can hear any hiss at normal listening volume (you won't be able to).  I think that is what people mean when they say the amp has a silent background.

Then imagine it with music playing.

Nothing to worry about.  You'd deafen yourself before you heard the noise floor.

Feb 1, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #617 of 961
  Mine finally arrived. So far sounding good. Seems to pair with HD700's ok.

When I turn the amp up to 100% I can definitely hear hiss in the background with no music playing. Probably normal? I have read some people claiming there being absolute silence.

Same as mine. Its only very slight at full volume, normal and nothing to worry about.

if your listening to the NFB 15 at full volume you will not need to worry. you wont have hearing for long.

Feb 1, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #618 of 961

if your listening to the NFB 15 at full volume you will not need to worry. you wont have hearing for long.

No one is doing that. I was just testing if I would hear hiss in the background. I'm usually listening around 8 o clock. This has plenty of power to drive HD700's.

What acts as my proof of guarantee? I don't have any papers with dates on it. No receipt. Nothing at all. Tried to ask it by email but Kingwa has hard time understanding me.

edit: So it's based on serial number only.

Feb 2, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #619 of 961
No one is doing that. I was just testing if I would hear hiss in the background. I'm usually listening around 8 o clock. This has plenty of power to drive HD700's.

What acts as my proof of guarantee? I don't have any papers with dates on it. No receipt. Nothing at all. Tried to ask it by email but Kingwa has hard time understanding me.

edit: So it's based on serial number only.

I sit around 8 o'clock on low gain for volume. And that's with my he500s, can not fathom how everyone else who tries my set up seems to be around 10-12 o'clock. Some even on high gain!

Feb 4, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #620 of 961
Wow, after a couple of weeks of use I have to say that I'm pretty happy with this amp/dac!   After changing the OS and filter setting a bit, highs are no longer recessed (OS:2 with Filter 3, if anyone's curious). After a week of listening to it, I switched back to my Echo Indigo for a couple of days and discovered that the NFB-15 is significantly more detailed with a better soundstage.  The amp isn't shabby by any means either, it can drive some very demanding 600 ohm AKG's and the deceptively difficult to drive k145. Those are feats that my O2 sadly cannot accomplish. It still can't properly drive my k240df's, but it's quite impressive nonetheless.

Feb 5, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #621 of 961
Hi all, I got my nfb15 a couple of weeks ago, I am impressed by the quality of this little box. I mainly use it as a dac for my speaker system and not as a headphone amp. I had an Adl gt40 which I always liked for its musicality, but this one seems better: still very musical but with much more detail. Sound is clear and a wide stage. I settled on a 4x brickwall filter which seems to allow more detailed sound compared to the default filter. I took off the optical toslink and inside I replaced the cheap black cables leading to rca output with a good van den hul cable: huge difference, a veil has gone and sound is now chrystal clear. I also used a furukawa cable to create an additional 3.5 mm output (in place of the toslink) so I can directly connect an active subwoofer, controlled by the same volume that outputs to rca. I must say that I prefer this dac to the more expensive Ifi idsd micro that I tried last month.

Feb 7, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #622 of 961
Update: i tried the coax input via Pro-ject dock box digital s and... It sounds surprisingly better than the usb input via imac. Much better I would say: sound is way more transparent and there is an increase of dynamics. Stage is deeper and it is easier to appreciate instrument separation. I use a short Monster videolink iii as coax connection (almost 10 yrs old, but still good and extremely transparent). Any idea why coax sounds better than usb?

Feb 7, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #623 of 961
I would guess that coax would inherently have less jitter? It seems like the usb connection only sounds as good as it's implementation on the computer's motherboard and drivers.  I'll have to try a few of my motherboards to see if there is an audible difference between implementations.

Feb 7, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #624 of 961
hey guys need some advise and help

when i change videos on you tube i get bluescreen how do i check which driver i used so i can inform you so that you can help. 

Feb 10, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #625 of 961

when i change videos on you tube i get bluescreen how do i check which driver i used so i can inform you so that you can help. 

Unfortunately we can't help you. This is known issue with the bad VIA drivers. The Audio-gd products use VIA 32bit receiver.
If your unit is made after August 2014, there is a new driver released. You can give it a try and see if it gets better. 

Feb 11, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #626 of 961

If the driver suggestion doesn't work then your only choice is to use optical or coaxial from your motherboard or another sound device.

Feb 12, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #627 of 961
To buy or not to buy?
I've written about my experience with the NFB-15, 11 and 27 here goo.gl/kklFxm, and I think I'm ready to make the plunge, but to avoid possible stumbling blocks I thought it's a good idea to ask around on the dedicated thread. Here are some questions I have yet to receive an answer to, but do forgive me if they were already discussed/answered:
1. Has the clicking noise/delay issue been fixed?
2. Is there any point in making the available upgrades?
3. Is there anything better for the money?
If there's anything I should know prior to buying please let me know!

Feb 12, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #628 of 961
  To buy or not to buy?
I've written about my experience with the NFB-15, 11 and 27 here goo.gl/kklFxm, and I think I'm ready to make the plunge, but to avoid possible stumbling blocks I thought it's a good idea to ask around on the dedicated thread. Here are some questions I have yet to receive an answer to, but do forgive me if they were already discussed/answered:
1. Has the clicking noise/delay issue been fixed?
2. Is there any point in making the available upgrades?
3. Is there anything better for the money?
If there's anything I should know prior to buying please let me know!

1. Clicking noise/delay is not fixed, that is the mute relay they integrated for their DSD capable DAC's
2. No consensus till now if the TCXO upgrade brings improvements or not
3. I didn't like the NFB-15 I owned, neither their horrible customer service (IMO), so for me most of the stuff out there are better.
4. Audio-gd DAC's has VIA receiver chip, so be prepared that you might experience software issues, although they say that the latest driver fix the blue screen problems.

Feb 12, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #629 of 961

1. Clicking noise/delay is not fixed, that is the mute relay they integrated for their DSD capable DAC's
3. I didn't like the NFB-15 I owned, neither their horrible customer service (IMO), so for me most of the stuff out there are better.
4. Audio-gd DAC's has VIA receiver chip, so be prepared that you might experience software issues, although they say that the latest driver fix the blue screen problems.

And here I was, thinking that I've found the optimal choice for the money. God damn it.
I've contacted Kingwa asking whether there are any plans to upgrade the 15.32, since it's been almost a year since it was last revisited, here's what he said:
"We will discontinued the NFb15 while we spend over the WM8741 stock, so no upgrade on it anymore."

Feb 12, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #630 of 961

What is the clicking noise/delay issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back