Audio-GD NFB-11
Feb 25, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #737 of 987
does anyone have the nfb-11 and the FUN? i was wondering if someone can make a comparision between the two. i have a hd600 and the bigger power supplies is a plus for the FUN, but the nfb-11 has the ESS sabre DAC.

Feb 26, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #739 of 987
@ mandek: Can You please clearify what You mean with this:
"-I think only with three-phase current your Sabre Dac can sound seriously"

I agree that the weak point in the NFB-11 and the NFB-12 is the size of the powersupply, but we have to have in mind they are promo-products to tease the market (us)..wanting more. For being promo-products I think they are great... And they have potential to raise a level as well.

/Jan

Feb 27, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #740 of 987
I don't think mandek is being serious.

I received back my NFB-11 with fixed/upgraded clock and it sounds considerably better (less harsh) and the USB works properly.  I have yet to test it either with complex music (to see how soon it starts to run out of power) and I don't have high-impedance headphones, but with the LCD-2s jazz was sublime, something which I didn't expect to experience.  It is sitting in my speaker rig now (Parasound Zamp to Paradigm Titans).  I wish it had included at least some stick-on rubber feet though both so that it doesn't scratch what it is put on top of and so it doesn't move as easily when headphones are inserted.

Feb 27, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #741 of 987

Quote:

I received back my NFB-11 with fixed/upgraded clock and it sounds considerably better (less harsh) and the USB works properly.  I have yet to test it either with complex music (to see how soon it starts to run out of power) and I don't have high-impedance headphones, but with the LCD-2s jazz was sublime, something which I didn't expect to experience.  It is sitting in my speaker rig now (Parasound Zamp to Paradigm Titans).  I wish it had included at least some stick-on rubber feet though both so that it doesn't scratch what it is put on top of and so it doesn't move as easily when headphones are inserted.

wow i'm pretty amazed the LCD2s sounded good off the NFB-11. I tried the driving the beyerdynamic T1 and LCD2 off the NFB-12. it only sounded mediocre. it was really obvious from listening to those two that the power off the NFB-12 wasn't enough, so this is really surprising that you say the NFB-11 sounds sublime with jazz. that might just show the difference between the NFB-11 and NFB-12

Feb 27, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #742 of 987
It's not really a good test, as it isn't quite as demanding to make jazz sound good. For that, the instruments have to sound natural and not harsh. Much of that is likely due to the use of the far better clock crystal.  My comments mainly relate to what bugged me when I first received it. The low-end Audio-gd has usually sounded somewhat average with higher-impedance headphones, not giving the width of soundstage called for with some music and being a bit harsh in the top end. These things appear to both be a limitation of what is physically possible in a cheap DAC/amp without, say, rolling off the treble etc. (the option for which happened to be built into the Compass and Fun via the installation of jumpers).  I wonder if the NFB-12 would improve as much with the better clock crystal. I can only imagine it would.  With the NFB-11 in my speaker rig, I played around with various IC cables I had lying around, and ended up with a pair I otherwise don't use that give a very slightly smooth presentation overall.  Experimenting with the best cables I have (which cost more than the NFB-11), the sound was a bit too aggressive, something I don't find with those cables on high-end gear (but quite the opposite). That showed to me the limits of what I would get out of the NFB-11.

Mar 2, 2011 at 6:55 AM Post #743 of 987
Currawong - Hi - I have acquired both the NFB-11 and the LCD-2 since we were introduced at the Sydney Head-Fi meet, so I was interested to see you were trying one. My other DAC is the DACport. I mainly listen to female vocals (the usual suspects) and have found the NFB-11 to be excellent for my needs - but I have not compared it to more expensive units. 

I was wondering how you find it compared to bigger Audio-gd units and whether they would make much of a difference for the type of music I listen to with my LCD-2 ?

many thanks - Vincent

ps I agree with you - about the feet - I have my NFB-11 fed by a Shunyata Diamondback power lead running off a mains filter and ended up putting it on Vibrapods to avoid scratching anything beneath.

Mar 2, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #744 of 987
Quote:

how much does the clock upgrade cost?

i've been tuned out of NFB-11 stuff a bit since I ordered my NFB-12... is anyone trying out the new non-USB NFB-11s? are they the same as the first run of NFB-11s?

Mar 4, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #745 of 987
@Les_Garten  My NFB-11 just switched-off while listening to it normally, was not bumped/moved/placed on my head or stared at.. it just Died.

Sorry, I've been busy with a "bit of bad luck"  L-driver on my DT990 died too, I've been chasing-down a 600Ohm driver..BeyerUSA is stepping-up!  Much Thanks Peter C.

I did however get into contact with KingWa within a day or 2, and shipped it back right away. Audio-GD has had my unit for a few days now... I'm still waiting on info for my unit.

I'm catching-up with the thread now, and I'm very happy others are enjoying the NFB-11 as much as I briefly did.  I can't wait to get my unit back.

Quote:
Hi

It seems like this thread has fallen a sleep.. I wonder what have happend to You guys that have Your NFB-11's broken/dead.. Have You got the expected support? Sent them back for replacement..?

I will get my NFB-11 in a few days... I hope. It landed yesterday in Leipzig (DHL).

Do somebody who had listened to the -11 a longer time have anything to say. It would be appreciated.

/Jan

Mar 4, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #746 of 987

Quote:
how much does the clock upgrade cost?

i've been tuned out of NFB-11 stuff a bit since I ordered my NFB-12... is anyone trying out the new non-USB NFB-11s? are they the same as the first run of NFB-11s?

The site says feb 21st, they upgraded es9018 dac's with tcxo clocks. The price you see is the price of clock included.

Mar 5, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #747 of 987
i see. so if i bought a new NFB-11 it would be the same as Currawong's.

i'm wondering because i'm thinking of making NFB-11/NFB-12 my dac/amp combo, cuz NFB-12 is too dark for HD-650. or i might just sell the Senns... hmmmmm

Mar 5, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #748 of 987
Im about to buy the NFB-11, but before to do that I would like to know if anybody knows how the amp section of the NFB-11 drives de AKG-701?
Im really in doubt between NFB-11 and the Nuforce Icon HDP.

Impressions are welcome.
biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Mar 5, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #749 of 987
i thought the nfb-12 had better control and a fuller sound compared to the hdp

Mar 5, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #750 of 987
I'm still waiting for some 300 Ohm MB Quarts to arrive, but so far I'm unexpectedly impressed by the performance with the LCD-2s.  It has well over 1W of power available for low-impedance cans, so this isn't so much of a surprise. That should make it fine with the K701s and K702s It didn't do poorly with Shpongle either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back