Audio-GD NFB-11
Feb 13, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #706 of 987

Quote:
When you say low resolution, hw low are you talking abt? 192kbps or lower?

Quote:
I was hesitant about buying the NFB-11 because of what it says on the website as well. Based off what Audio-GD said you almost get the initial impression that lower resolution music would sound horrible but that's just not the case.  I was surprised how well lower bitrate music sounded with this unit.

Also since you find it good with your DDM's I'm very curious to try it with my IE8's.  It seems like the sound signature would be a perfect match for them.

Yea 192kbps is what I'm referring to.  I try to get all my albums in at least 320kbps but for a lot of the hip hop stuff the best you can find is 192kbps. 

Feb 13, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #707 of 987

Thanks for info..
Quote:
Quote:
When you say low resolution, hw low are you talking abt? 192kbps or lower?

Quote:
I was hesitant about buying the NFB-11 because of what it says on the website as well. Based off what Audio-GD said you almost get the initial impression that lower resolution music would sound horrible but that's just not the case.  I was surprised how well lower bitrate music sounded with this unit.

Also since you find it good with your DDM's I'm very curious to try it with my IE8's.  It seems like the sound signature would be a perfect match for them.

Yea 192kbps is what I'm referring to.  I try to get all my albums in at least 320kbps but for a lot of the hip hop stuff the best you can find is 192kbps. 

Feb 13, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #709 of 987

Quote:
Quote:
Doesn't the warranty get voided if you remove the top panel? I have a sticker on the top and rear panel making it impossible to open it without tearing it off.

I dont think so. Got some new observation on this one. The unit itself tends to get hot after 3hours and the LED indicator doesn't light up anymore. Anybody got the same experience?

Noooooo!  After a 3month long preorder wait, my NFB-11 has also Stopped working!  :frowning2:    I've sent E-mails to KingWa and Audio-GD, waiting for reply.

My NFB-11 just did almost the same thing early this morning. Now, Power-on, LED is still off, Win7 USB Device error msg, Unit Does eventually get quite warm around transformer area.
I also tried Coaxial-in, No sound output... The unit gets Hot but no Sound.      I have not opened my NFB-11 either, fearing Warranty Issues if opened.

Super Bummed  :frowning2:

Feb 13, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #710 of 987

Quote:

Noooooo!  After a 3month long preorder wait, my NFB-11 has also Stopped working!  :frowning2:    I've sent E-mails to KingWa and Audio-GD, waiting for reply.

My NFB-11 just did almost the same thing early this morning. Now, Power-on, LED is still off, Win7 USB Device error msg, Unit Does eventually get quite warm around transformer area.
I also tried Coaxial-in, No sound output... The unit gets Hot but no Sound.      I have not opened my NFB-11 either, fearing Warranty Issues if opened.

So it was running along working perfectly and just quit?

You didn't move it, turn it  upside down or anything?  It was working one second and the next time you used it, it was not working?

Feb 13, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #711 of 987

Quote:

uh oh that doesn't sound good. i made a pre-order on the nfb-11 no usb. i hope this problem doesnt happen to that. seem like only the nfb-11 are having this problem :frowning2:

Feb 13, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #712 of 987

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Doesn't the warranty get voided if you remove the top panel? I have a sticker on the top and rear panel making it impossible to open it without tearing it off.

I dont think so. Got some new observation on this one. The unit itself tends to get hot after 3hours and the LED indicator doesn't light up anymore. Anybody got the same experience?

Good thing mine is still working though the power led indicator doesn't light up anymore. It does get hot in an hour or two without without a fan on it. I also noticed some skipping on my songs most notably on the first few seconds of playing. I wonder if this did appear on the 100hours burn in before they were shipped.

Feb 14, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #713 of 987
Its really odd that a NFB11 would get hot while my balanced ref5 which has a lot more components inside barely gets warm.

Feb 16, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #715 of 987
My NFB-11 got a little hotter than my NFB-12.  It wasn't super hot but it was noticeably warmer than the NFB-12. 

Feb 16, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #716 of 987

Quote:
My NFB-11 got a little hotter than my NFB-12.  It wasn't super hot but it was noticeably warmer than the NFB-12. 

hey poetik, since you have both the nfb-11 and nfb-12, do you think you can do a quick comparision on the sound between the two? i got a nfb-12 and have nfb-11 no usb on order because im curious on how the sabre differs. i want to see if it is relaly worth it for me to get the nfb-11. thanks

Feb 17, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #718 of 987

Quote:
 hey poetik, since you have both the nfb-11 and nfb-12, do you think you can do a quick comparision on the sound between the two? i got a nfb-12 and have nfb-11 no usb on order because im curious on how the sabre differs. i want to see if it is relaly worth it for me to get the nfb-11. thanks

For a quick summary they sound exactly how Audio-GD describes it with the nfb-12 being less harsh and the nfb-11 being more detailed. 

A few things I noticed is that the NFB-11 seemed to be at a higher volume when the pot was at the same setting as the NFB-12.  I'm not sure if that will be the same for everyone but that's how it was with mine.  If you do a quick A/B of both of them you'll notice the obvious difference in the way the highs are presented.  The NFB-11 seems borderline sibilant while the NFB-12 is really smooth.  As you know the NFB-12 has a really warm signature and while it doesn't quite reproduce the high frequencies like the NFB-11, it is still detailed in the way it presents music. 

In the end it really depends on how you want your music presented.  The NFB-12 felt more like a tube amp, and while it was more musical, I really liked the clarity and impact of the NFB-11 better.  Also the NFB-11 has a tighter bass response and doesn't feel as sloppy as the NFB-12.  Sound stage width is about the same but it feels like the NFB-12 pushes instruments out a little further so it seems like the sound stage is bigger.  I did notice that on my LA7000's if I put them both on high-gain mode then the sound stage got a little larger.  I'm sure it has something to do with the power as my HDP had a noticeably 3D feeling opposed to the NFB-11 and 12 (low-gain didn't really seem to have that 3D encompassing feeling). 

I might have liked the NFB-12 more if it didn't have that top end roll off.  Actually I think it would've been a huge hit if it didn't have the roll off as it is noticeable while listening to other gear.  It's still a great piece of gear but it's just a little too tube like for my tastes.  Honestly though I didn't really realize the roll off too much until I put on another source.  After awhile you just get intertwined with the music and forget about all the technical bs.

Feb 17, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #719 of 987

Quote:
For a quick summary they sound exactly how Audio-GD describes it with the nfb-12 being less harsh and the nfb-11 being more detailed. 

A few things I noticed is that the NFB-11 seemed to be at a higher volume when the pot was at the same setting as the NFB-12.  I'm not sure if that will be the same for everyone but that's how it was with mine.  If you do a quick A/B of both of them you'll notice the obvious difference in the way the highs are presented.  The NFB-11 seems borderline sibilant while the NFB-12 is really smooth.  As you know the NFB-12 has a really warm signature and while it doesn't quite reproduce the high frequencies like the NFB-11, it is still detailed in the way it presents music. 

In the end it really depends on how you want your music presented.  The NFB-12 felt more like a tube amp, and while it was more musical, I really liked the clarity and impact of the NFB-11 better.  Also the NFB-11 has a tighter bass response and doesn't feel as sloppy as the NFB-12.  Sound stage width is about the same but it feels like the NFB-12 pushes instruments out a little further so it seems like the sound stage is bigger.  I did notice that on my LA7000's if I put them both on high-gain mode then the sound stage got a little larger.  I'm sure it has something to do with the power as my HDP had a noticeably 3D feeling opposed to the NFB-11 and 12 (low-gain didn't really seem to have that 3D encompassing feeling). 

I might have liked the NFB-12 more if it didn't have that top end roll off.  Actually I think it would've been a huge hit if it didn't have the roll off as it is noticeable while listening to other gear.  It's still a great piece of gear but it's just a little too tube like for my tastes.  Honestly though I didn't really realize the roll off too much until I put on another source.  After awhile you just get intertwined with the music and forget about all the technical bs.

X2 on the sibilance tendencies, Been using it to power some orthos and so far it has been superb so no biggie. Anyway got no issues on you NFB11? No LEDs conking out or unit getting hotter than usual?

Feb 17, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #720 of 987
interesting. i found that my nfb-12 isnt very warm sounding at all. it is pretty transparent. haha i opened it up and made sure. it is WM8741 because the sound didnt match that of what ppl were saying. i dont really feel that treble roll off. i also find it that the bass on the nfb-12 is kinda lean, however in terms of tightness, i do think it isn't very tight or clear as i like. maybe im just being picky

Users who are viewing this thread

Back