Audio-GD NFB-11
Nov 2, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #226 of 987
Ok, stop panicking everyone. There is no reason to believe the NFB-11 or any other implementation of the usb input on Audio-gd gear is faulty ( The same chip is used on most every other usb supported audio-gd gear ). Some people in a Japanese forum reported software issues.
Such problems are usually located 42cm in front of the screen or are caused by bad software configuration of said users.  Who knows what software these people use. I believe there is very little reason to be concerned about hypotetycal usb input problems on anyones gear.

Quote:

That's a very bad news, i'll be forced to use USB on at least 2 PCs (Windows 7 32bits)...
I don't know what to do now... Bypassing kernel awful processing is clearly not an option...

What about Asio4All ? Any other idea for a workaround ?

Quote:
Noooo. I use Window 7 x64 foobar2000 with WASAPI!!!!  hope they can fix this by upgrading software...

Nov 2, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #227 of 987
Well,

I did know this solutions, I was  thinking to a software (& Zero-Cost) solution
biggrin.gif

Hiface is really not cheap (150$)... I would have prefer spending this money choosing an higher-end usb-bug-free solution...

Bad news : i've check in my work pc, no optical and no internal spdif.
Quote:

Use an external USB-to-SPDIF converter/adaptor which has been proven to be working with Windows 7 (32-bit). You may want to look at Digital Interface offered by Audio-GD or HiFace offered by M2Tech (uses proprietary driver to override the one bundled with Windows to give 24bit/192kHz resolution). With this kind of converter, you will be freed from this trivial interface issue that haunt many Windows users (particularly on many PC notebooks where installation of sound card is not possible). All mac models (Mac Pro/iMac/Macbook Pro) come with optical audio output (SPDIF format) beside USB 2.0 ports.

Another cheaper option is to bypass USB all together and install sound card with digital SPDIF audio outputs (optical or coaxial) on PC desktop/notebook models with proper peripheral expansion slots. Analog outputs on these sound cards are not needed at all for digital audio interfacing.

Nov 2, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #228 of 987
I found out with Data Transfers, not all USB ports are equal.  Especially on Laptops.

You can see large differences in Data Transfer rates depending on what else is on the BUS that a particular port is on.  So if you are forced to use USB and have any issues, switch around to different Ports.  May make a difference in usability.

MACBook Pro is notorious for this.

USB, to me, is Port of Last Resort anyway.

Nov 2, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #229 of 987
Great info les,

I found that odd when I read about the usb on the NFB-11 a few pages back.  I have the NFB-3, DAC-19DSP, FUN(A) and Digital Interface and all work flawlessly with usb input on three different OSs.  The only adjustment I had to make was with the DI and Foobar with WASAPI.  I had to turn the buffer down to 200ms, and that was only with WASAPI, KS worked great with my other setting.

I have tried this gear with 2 desktops and two laptops with built-in usb and with hubs.  All work great, with no problems whatsoever.

Still no tracking info for me.  I believe Curra received his already but IIRC, he's also in Japan.  No US delivery as of yet I think....

Nov 3, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #231 of 987
My PC system is Windows7 Professional,64bit.
I use HQPlayer+Reclock mainly.

When I use foobat200 with WASAPI , my preference is below.
1)DSP manager : Resampler(SoX) Sample rate 96000
2)Output buffer : 500ms

Please use ReClock http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=41776

1)Audio setting : PCM Output 96kHz 24bit,Quality best
2)Advanced setting : check "Give high CPU prioriyt to player"

In these setting , play by foobar is almost stable.

Quote:
Quote:

Noooo. I use Window 7 x64 foobar2000 with WASAPI!!!!  hope they can fix this by upgrading software...

Nov 3, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #232 of 987
There are about a dozen reports about USB-related issues on Japanese forum. I have talked to Kingwa about that, and Audio-gd is testing and finding the matter. He said they would send a new unit to all users to replace old one if they found and fixed the problem.

Nov 3, 2010 at 9:05 AM Post #233 of 987
 Quote:
There are about a dozen reports about USB-related issues on Japanese forum. I have talked to Kingwa about that, and Audio-gd is testing and finding the matter. He said they would send a new unit to all users to replace old one if they found and fixed the problem.

So for everyone that's on the second batch, shipping out on Nov. 10, there's nothing to worry about?

Nov 3, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #234 of 987
Has anyone heard back from audio gd in the past week or so? I've sent a half dozen emails and no response. I also had queries about the 3SE and 19 DSP and recieved no response on those as well. The "thanks for writing" type automated respose comes but nothing else. I dont think this is a company I am going to order from again - if they dont bother to repond to shipping and sales emails, service will likely be pretty hopeless as well.

Nov 3, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #235 of 987
I think there really could be a hardware ssue, because there are already many Audio-gd products without any issues using the same USB chip (Tenor), for example the DI is pretty identical when it comes to the USB-receiving circuitry.... I´ve been running the DI under all kinds of settings in Foobar without problems. It even works under Linux...

Nov 3, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #236 of 987
I just checked in my Win 7 PC (I use a Mac most of the time) and noticed that by default, only 48k is enabled as a possible sample rate, so I set it to allow 44.1 and 96k.  Not sure if this will help anything.  I did get the sound skipping once on this completely vanilla install of Win 7 x64 + Foobar2000 though.  Note that this computer isn't getting used for anything except music. I did try a network file copy (I needed more music for testing on the machine) to see if it affected anything, which it didn't.  Still getting the odd, weird break in the music. I went and set the Windows Sound output to 24/96 and it stopped.  Switching it back to 16/44.1 it hasn't happened again.  I'm sure it'll re-appear as soon as I hit "submit" on this post.

Nov 3, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #237 of 987

Quote:
Currently use an EMU for USB lossless audio. I wish the NFB-11 had another set of speaker outs so i can connect my desktop speakers and my headphone amp.

The Dac out can be set to fixed or variable. You could connect your active speakers to it or connect it to a speak amp first if you speakers are passive.

Nov 3, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #238 of 987

Quote:
I just checked in my Win 7 PC (I use a Mac most of the time) and noticed that by default, only 48k is enabled as a possible sample rate, so I set it to allow 44.1 and 96k.  Not sure if this will help anything.  I did get the sound skipping once on this completely vanilla install of Win 7 x64 + Foobar2000 though.  Note that this computer isn't getting used for anything except music. I did try a network file copy (I needed more music for testing on the machine) to see if it affected anything, which it didn't.  Still getting the odd, weird break in the music. I went and set the Windows Sound output to 24/96 and it stopped.  Switching it back to 16/44.1 it hasn't happened again.  I'm sure it'll re-appear as soon as I hit "submit" on this post.

I encountered the same thing with the Audio DI + NFB-1, except I am runing Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit with 2GB RAM.

Doing the following (in sequence of importance, try the next one if the previous one does not work) will help:
1. In Windows 7 Advance System Setup, set the processor to prioritize to "Background Process"
2. In Foobar2000's Preferences -> Playback, set both Replay Gain options to "none"
3. In Foobar2000's Preferences -> Advanced -> Playback -> Fading, set all options to 0ms
4. In Foobar2000's Preferences -> Advanced -> Playback -> Full File Buffering, set as much RAM as you can afford. i.e. 50000K if you mostly have 1 flac file per track, 350000K if you mostly have 1 flac file per disc.
5. Make sure your hard drive have at least 10% free space and defrag your hard drive (Auslogics Disk Defrag is a good, free tool). If your hard drive has less than 10% of free space, "weird break" will occur even if you have set (1) to (4) above
6. Try using another USB port on your computer
7. Convert each tracks to individual flac/ape file, avoiding delay induced by reading 200-300MB flac from hard drive at once.
8. Buy a USB 3.0 expansion/express card and use the port from it. Not that the USB 3.0 standard/bandwidth will get to use, but because all USB 3.0 cards require special device drivers which have higher priority in Windows than the default USB 1.0/2.0 HUB drivers which Microsoft hasn't update since Windows XP service pack 1.

For me, the "weird break" disappears when I reach Step (6) above

Nov 3, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #239 of 987
Quote:
Has anyone heard back from audio gd in the past week or so? I've sent a half dozen emails and no response. I also had queries about the 3SE and 19 DSP and recieved no response on those as well. The "thanks for writing" type automated respose comes but nothing else. I dont think this is a company I am going to order from again - if they dont bother to repond to shipping and sales emails, service will likely be pretty hopeless as well.

Audio-gd used to virtually always reply to every email, but past few months I have been noticing some emails being missed. I have tried to see a pattern in which emails are not replied to and which are, and I sadly get the feeling that the more difficult emails are being deliberately skipped. I am also concerned that audio-gd sometimes does not send tracking information to customers when things are shipped out.

I didn't think this would happen and am not really ticked at audio-gd because I have had perfect communication until the last few months. If the experience me and jai1611 is as common for everyone else, I hope more people will talk about it on head-fi and we can convince them to change how they answer emails before more people get ticked.

Nov 3, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #240 of 987

Quote:
I think there really could be a hardware ssue, because there are already many Audio-gd products without any issues using the same USB chip (Tenor), for example the DI is pretty identical when it comes to the USB-receiving circuitry.... I´ve been running the DI under all kinds of settings in Foobar without problems. It even works under Linux...

I think the problem may due to it is the first Audio-gd design having the TE-7022 chip directly outputting I2S signal to the DAC chip (Sabre32). In previous/other Audio-gd designs there were another chip in between (DIR9001?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back