Audio-GD NFB-11
Nov 1, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #214 of 987

The NFB-11 looks to be a very interestin DAC I must say. Hopefully phase 2 will iron-out any existing bugs from the first batch should they exist. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Speaking of.... HOW do I get on the list? do I have to be special? (like trying to get into hottest club) lol I've been trying to e-mail them from their site's addy.  and Gmail can't get my mails through!?

Help!

Nov 2, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #215 of 987
 Bought one today to "replace" my Compass (I was one of the first 18 owners).
 Will compare it to my Matrix M-Stage too.

Nov 2, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #216 of 987

Quote:
A simple review of NFB-11

I compared NFB-11 with modded ZeroDAC (with OPA-Earth) and C-2C. Headphones are K701 and DT990PRO.

NFB-11 as a dedicated DAC:

More analytical than I expected. Accurate, neutral and dry.
More detailed and refined than modded ZeroDAC.
Slightly brighter than modded ZeroDAC.
Soundstage is slightly smaller than modded ZeroDAC.

About his internal headphone amp:

Soundstage is much smaller than C-2C.
Bass is slightly less deep than C-2C.
Other sound characters are similar to C-2C. Neutral.

Conclusion:
Good DAC + Decent HP amp. Good value for the price. Soundstage is his weak point.

I wonder how the NFB-11 will compare to the Nuforce HDP? Although isao2k8 made a brief comparison to the ZeroDAC/2-C2, those characteristics sound similar to people's impressions of the HDP.
I have a pair of stock Denon D2000 and was very close to buying the HDP, but I think I'll wait to hear the reviews of this now. If anyone could offer some advice I'd appreciate it
smile.gif

Nov 2, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #217 of 987

Quote:

The NFB-11 looks to be a very interestin DAC I must say. Hopefully phase 2 will iron-out any existing bugs from the first batch should they exist. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Speaking of.... HOW do I get on the list? do I have to be special? (like trying to get into hottest club) lol I've been trying to e-mail them from their site's addy.  and Gmail can't get my mails through!?

Help!

What happens when you try and email them?

My NFB-11 arrived.  Sound is rather congested out of the box, more so than my Sparrow. I'll leave it on for a couple of weeks then see how it is then, as a couple of hundred hours of break-in is par for the course with Audio-gd gear for best results.

Nov 2, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #218 of 987
Just sent an email to them at audio-gd@126.com got an answer pretty quick saying to send $$$ paypal. $302.7, what a bargain! Can't wait to play with mine. Thinking about dumping my Xonar STX now, kinda seems unnecessary.

Nov 2, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #219 of 987

Quote:

My NFB-11 arrived.  Sound is rather congested out of the box, more so than my Sparrow. I'll leave it on for a couple of weeks then see how it is then, as a couple of hundred hours of break-in is par for the course with Audio-gd gear for best results.

Does USB connection work?

Nov 2, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #220 of 987
Sparrow version A or B?

Quote:

Nov 2, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #221 of 987
Quote:
isao2k8: I'll be interested to have your impressions once the unit has had at least 350 hours of use. The sound should mellow a little after that time.

All right.

Quote:
A few people in Japan have reported that the USB input doesn't work properly.
Does yours work fine, isao?
I'm thinking of getting one but I want to use it with my laptop,
so it would be quite useless to me if the USB input doesn't work...

Here, certain software makes sound skipping issue with USB input (Windows 7 x64). And WASAPI output with foobar2000 makes some software unstable. So I'm using NFB-11 with optical.

Nov 2, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #222 of 987

Quote:

Here, certain software makes sound skipping issue with USB input (Windows 7 x64). And WASAPI output with foobar2000 makes some software unstable. So I'm using NFB-11 with optical.

Noooo. I use Window 7 x64 foobar2000 with WASAPI!!!!  hope they can fix this by upgrading software...

Nov 2, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #223 of 987
I had to cancel my pre-order and use the money as a part payment for the CD7-FV... Oh well, CD7 has to take priority
smily_headphones1.gif
I´ll end up ordering this at some point probably... Looking forward to more impressions!

Nov 2, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #224 of 987
Quote:

That's a very bad news, i'll be forced to use USB on at least 2 PCs (Windows 7 32bits)...
I don't know what to do now... Bypassing kernel awful processing is clearly not an option...

What about Asio4All ? Any other idea for a workaround ?

Nov 2, 2010 at 7:46 AM Post #225 of 987

Quote:

That's a very bad news, i'll be forced to use USB on at least 2 PCs (Windows 7 32bits)...
I don't know what to do now... Bypassing kernel awful processing is clearly not an option...

What about Asio4All ? Any other idea for a workaround ?

Use an external USB-to-SPDIF converter/adaptor which has been proven to be working with Windows 7 (32-bit). You may want to look at Digital Interface offered by Audio-GD or HiFace offered by M2Tech (uses proprietary driver to override the one bundled with Windows to give 24bit/192kHz resolution). With this kind of converter, you will be freed from this trivial interface issue that haunt many Windows users (particularly on many PC notebooks where installation of sound card is not possible). All mac models (Mac Pro/iMac/Macbook Pro) come with optical audio output (SPDIF format) beside USB 2.0 ports.

Another cheaper option is to bypass USB all together and install sound card with digital SPDIF audio outputs (optical or coaxial) on PC desktop/notebook models with proper peripheral expansion slots. Analog outputs on these sound cards are not needed at all for digital audio interfacing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back