Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
May 27, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #616 of 3,093
Quote:
@GaryPham and HeatFan12
Let me be the voice of different opinion and different approach. I'm a computer and sound devices user, which love to test new things. Whatever is new firmware or driver i like to test it, check sonic impact etc. Esepcially in case of USB-32 there is great margin of potential improvents due to firmware upgrade area. Till now i think firmware 7 and driver 2.0 is the best it is, both sonically and functionally, especially if you are using VIA ASIO. So on the contrary to HeatFan12 i do recommended upgrade firmware to 7 and using driver2.0.

I hear ya SidiousX.  If you look back on this thread, like massy stated, lots of folks are frustrated and there are many pages where many peeps were complaining about all the firmwares, drivers and compatibility issues.  I love to tweak myself and have tried the 11.32 with many OSs and bit-perfect renderers as well as media players, but there has to come a time when you need to just enjoy.  I started this thread back in Sept. 2012 when the 11.32 first came out and have moved it all around the house many times trying different things.  Some folks use wasapi, ks, ds, ASIO etc...and some folks can't get VIA ASIO to work etc...

Some folks are used to plug and play devices and the 11.32 is far from it, but worth the effort to get it right.  I also have the TE8802 chip on the NFB-15.1 & NFB-16 and my friend, the usb-32 is a walk in the park compared to getting the TE8802 to work with various OSs.

Sometimes you just have to leave well enough alone and concentrate on what is working and sounding good.

Cheers!!!

May 27, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #617 of 3,093
Quote:
I would suspect the Denon is not a good match. I have almost the same setup as you (2012 Mac Mini->iTunes->Audirvana Plus->11.32), but my headphones are the Sennheiser HD650 and AKG K702. Using the 11.32 as DAC with my ALO Pan Am or using the buiit-in headphone amp there is no noise even listening solo piano.

The noise floor I'm talking about here is so far below normal listening levels that a quite piano note would blow my ears off.  I'm just asking of other's experiences because I was surprised to see the 11.32 noise floor with the volume turned up 3/4 noticeably higher than the built-in Macbook Pro's headphone out.  By contrast my 10 year old PC notebook has higher level then both which I was expecting to hear.  So this either speaks to the high quality hardware on the Macbook Pro, or some other processing going on to reduce the noise, but the volume of the sine sweeps are very close on both cases so I can't imagine any extra processing going on.

I will still try out the 11.32 fixed and variable line outs in the next couple of weeks to see if I get the same noise levels.  Unfortunately since this is my first external DAC purchase I have no other reference to compare to, hence my questions here.

May 28, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #618 of 3,093

Quote:

I hear ya SidiousX.  If you look back on this thread, like massy stated, lots of folks are frustrated and there are many pages where many peeps were complaining about all the firmwares, drivers and compatibility issues.  I love to tweak myself and have tried the 11.32 with many OSs and bit-perfect renderers as well as media players, but there has to come a time when you need to just enjoy.  I started this thread back in Sept. 2012 when the 11.32 first came out and have moved it all around the house many times trying different things.  Some folks use wasapi, ks, ds, ASIO etc...and some folks can't get VIA ASIO to work etc...

Some folks are used to plug and play devices and the 11.32 is far from it, but worth the effort to get it right.  I also have the TE8802 chip on the NFB-15.1 & NFB-16 and my friend, the usb-32 is a walk in the park compared to getting the TE8802 to work with various OSs.

Sometimes you just have to leave well enough alone and concentrate on what is working and sounding good.

Cheers!!!

I know all this threads as they were born and grows up:wink:. I have started at 2011 right from the bottom so from Tenor 7, it was medicore at its best, yet in the meantime it gives not much trouble. Next i west into Tenor 8, that was a different story, trouble maker indeed, till this day based on ppl comments and lack of suport of Tenor 8 producer (for clarity Kingwa is not to blame here). So i know all the paths of USB pain and gain. then USB-32 turns out, which had usual mature firmware and driver trouble, firmware 3 was quite qood, frimware 4 with ASIO support was a bit trouble, esepecially on Win8. Then when firmware 7 and driver 2 appear, after many testing i could say its not bad at all, exither on Win7 or 8, so that is why i strongly recommening this firmware and driver update, it is best as it is for now. Ppl has different hardware, os, configs, it always impact final outcome, many ppl are unexperienced, when they trying to make things work properly, man always learning at his own mistakes best, at least imho, but as i said i like to always chek and test new things. Its always the best to get hardware intall it and just enjoy listening, but my experienced clealry says, that in case of pc world, progres is too fast, to just do that.

May 31, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #619 of 3,093
Hi, I was wondering if anybody could help me out? I was originally planning to get the o2/odac or the magni/modi combo to pair with my HE400 until I stumbled upon this dac/amp.

After much reading, I'm very much interested in buying the NFB 11.32 but I'm not familiar with the technical terms that I've been reading across the thread.. I've seen a lot of comments with people having a hard time getting the dac to work with their computers -- so it worries me since for the most part I will be using this dac/amp with my Imac. Based on your experiences, will I have a hard time using this with the Imac - Mountain Lion 10.8.3? I'm used to plug and play so I'm not sure if this is the right dac/amp for me but if I get instructions with it I think I could handle that at least. I use iTunes with Audirvana Plus and Clementine to listen to music if that matters.

Also I've seen at the audio gd site that the NFB 11.32 is upgradeable? Can someone help me understand what the upgrades are for?
All help is greatly appreciated.

Leslie

May 31, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #620 of 3,093
Quote:
Hi, I was wondering if anybody could help me out? I was originally planning to get the o2/odac or the magni/modi combo to pair with my HE400 until I stumbled upon this dac/amp.

After much reading, I'm very much interested in buying the NFB 11.32 but I'm not familiar with the technical terms that I've been reading across the thread.. I've seen a lot of comments with people having a hard time getting the dac to work with their computers -- so it worries me since for the most part I will be using this dac/amp with my Imac. Based on your experiences, will I have a hard time using this with the Imac - Mountain Lion 10.8.3? I'm used to plug and play so I'm not sure if this is the right dac/amp for me but if I get instructions with it I think I could handle that at least. I use iTunes with Audirvana Plus and Clementine to listen to music if that matters.

Also I've seen at the audio gd site that the NFB 11.32 is upgradeable? Can someone help me understand what the upgrades are for?
All help is greatly appreciated.

Leslie

You will have absolutely no problem with that setup. 11.32 is plug-and-play on the Mac, I was looking at same setup as you, and I feel I made the right choice.

May 31, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #621 of 3,093
Quote:

You will have absolutely no problem with that setup. 11.32 is plug-and-play on the Mac, I was looking at same setup as you, and I feel I made the right choice.

Thanks for the reply. What about the upgrades? Did you add it to yours as well? I'm not sure what it does so I don't know if it's worth adding the extra $.

May 31, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #623 of 3,093
Quote:

Thanks for the reply. What about the upgrades? Did you add it to yours as well? I'm not sure what it does so I don't know if it's worth adding the extra $.

Yes, I have the clock (TCXO) upgrade, when I purchased my 11.32 they were free. Since they were in the whole time I had the DAC, I could not tell if made a difference.

May 31, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #624 of 3,093
Quote:

The upgrades worth mentioning are the 2 TCXOs. You will need some luck to find users having tried both the defaults and the upgraded TCXOs. I would blindly pay the extra 40 $ in this case, but others may be more hesitant.

May 31, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #625 of 3,093
Hi guys,

So I just recieved my Audio GD 11.32 and tried updating my firmware and drivers via the downloaded instructions (firmware 7 and driver 2.0).  All the installs seem to have gone fine in that I didn't get any errors.  Is there a way for me to check which firmware and driver I currently have installed?  Through windows I still don't seem to be able to set the dac to 32 bits (highest I can set is 24bit 48 khz).  Also looking at the driver page on device manager it says I have driver version 6.1.0.0?  I'm using Windows 7 64 bit if that helps.

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #627 of 3,093
Quote:
From memory If it's the same firmware update tool I used 6 - 12 months ago it should tell you in the firmware update tool what version is on the 11.32...

Hmm strange, it doesn't seem to say anything under firmware when I run the firmware update tool...

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/5977/firmwaren.jpg

Is this normal?

Jun 1, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #628 of 3,093
Hmmm yea this is pretty frustrating.  I followed the guides exactly like in the videos on audio-gd.  Uninstalled the usb drivers using the driver tool, and uninstalled drivers using windows device manager. restarted computer..Ran firmware update 7 on the firmware update tool, restarted computer.  Ran usb driver update tool, restarted computer.  However when I open up Audio-gd deck. highest setting I can put is 24bit 48 khz for usb, and 24bit 192khz for optical spdif.  Am I doing something incorrect?  I did the exact same thing as in the audio-gd videos and he was able to set his settings to 32bit 384khz on audio-gd deck.

Jun 1, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #630 of 3,093
On the left side of the deck panel I have Speaker, SPDIF Out, Line In, and Digital In.  By only having a green check sign next to to SPDIF Out, I'm assuming that the others are all disabled?  Even so for sample rates I only have 44.1K and 48K and for Bit Depth i have 16, 24, and 32, but am unable to slect 32.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back