Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
May 16, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #602 of 3,093
The old macbook pro have some matter on the display card so one year ago I have bought a new macbook pro , it is have the OS10.73 .
In the macbook, the output sampling is fixed by the setting on midi page, I like to setting on the highest sampling like 192K 32bit.

May 19, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #603 of 3,093
Well, everytime I check this thread I get the driver / firmware upgrade bug.  I see different results and folks still having problems and not having problems and the VIA DS and the WASAPI and the Kernel Streaming and the ASIO and the ASIO4ALL etc. etc. etc....

My 11.32 was kicking @ss with no problems whatsoever but I got curious and did not really know what firmware I had so I tried the "firmware update tool".  Don't know what happened but my 11.32 disappeared.  No players recognized it and installing the drivers again did not work.  I cursed myself 1000 times for being curious when my 11.32 had been working perfectly since September 2012 when I purchased it.

Alas, I remember Kingwa had included an extra chip in the box when I purchased her last year.  Opened her up and replaced the chip and all is well once again.  Beautiful sounds once again with different players and output renderers.

You think after all the A-GD gear I own (NFB-11.32, NFB-15.1, NFB-16, NFB-3, C-2, DAC-19DSP & Digital Interface), I would know better than to mess with any gear if it's working great.  Curiosity kicked me this time but not again.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T TRY TO FIX / UPDATE / UPGRADE IT AND JUST ENJOY.!!!!!

After the new firmware install I have tried all my players and all work great with W8 (usb).....I also have the optical input connected to my Vistax64 desktop.....WASAPI, KS, ASIO VIA DS, DS, ASIO4ALL.....

May 19, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #604 of 3,093
Quote:
Well, it has been a while since I posted. Pretty much the 11.32 has 500 hrs. on and I am so impressed. Bought a ALO Pan Am for the new tube amp running it thru the 11.32. HeatFan12, you're right, this thing LOVES tubes! I'm sorry, as much as I like the headphone amp stage, the DAC is better. I have had a bunch of DACs (rDAC, V-DAC, ibasso D7, Maverick Audio D2) none can compare.

It loves tubes indeed.  The clarity and detail retrieval is a great match with great overall presentation...
beerchug.gif

May 20, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #605 of 3,093
Quote:
Well, everytime I check this thread I get the driver / firmware upgrade bug.  I see different results and folks still having problems and not having problems and the VIA DS and the WASAPI and the Kernel Streaming and the ASIO and the ASIO4ALL etc. etc. etc....

My 11.32 was kicking @ss with no problems whatsoever but I got curious and did not really know what firmware I had so I tried the "firmware update tool".  Don't know what happened but my 11.32 disappeared.  No players recognized it and installing the drivers again did not work.  I cursed myself 1000 times for being curious when my 11.32 had been working perfectly since September 2012 when I purchased it.

Alas, I remember Kingwa had included an extra chip in the box when I purchased her last year.  Opened her up and replaced the chip and all is well once again.  Beautiful sounds once again with different players and output renderers.

You think after all the A-GD gear I own (NFB-11.32, NFB-15.1, NFB-16, NFB-3, C-2, DAC-19DSP & Digital Interface), I would know better than to mess with any gear if it's working great.  Curiosity kicked me this time but not again.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T TRY TO FIX / UPDATE / UPGRADE IT AND JUST ENJOY.!!!!!

After the new firmware install I have tried all my players and all work great with W8 (usb).....I also have the optical input connected to my Vistax64 desktop.....WASAPI, KS, ASIO VIA DS, DS, ASIO4ALL.....

Yea the update failed on me too, so in the end I in up ordering the Firmware 7 from kigma, which i should get soon. Tho I had issues and i needed the 2.0 drivers to fix like the asio issue i had.

May 24, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #606 of 3,093
Questions about noise floor:

First off hello everyone, I've been lurking here for some time now, but didn't officially register until I recently purchased the Denon AH-D600 headphones and a 11.32 DAC (with the upgraded clocks) to listen to music at home and work with my new Mac Book Pro (w SSD) and various other Mac systems at the office.

I have been pleased with the quality (value) of the DAC, and have had no issues getting it to work with all formats via Audirvana.  The only minor quibble would be with the cheap power cord supplied with the DAC - the cord fits too loose in the socket that is also too shallow for the cord supplied (nothing serious though).

Anyhow, after several weeks of running the DAC 8+ hours a day, I decided to do some critical testing.  First was to compare the noise floor of the headphone amp.  I generated a 1-5khz sine sweep with Sox and then dropped the volume to various levels from -90db all the way to -130db.  Then I listened to each in order while raising the volume to see at which point the noise floor covers up the signal.  With the 11.32 I'm getting somewhere around -115db, but the noise floor is quite "loud" by then.  By contrast all the Macs I have used have a quieter noise floor on the builtin amp. I can hear down to -120db and the noise floor is not nearly as bad as with the 11.32.  I have tried various different configs including running the Macbook Pro off battery power, running the 11.32 off a UPS, but nothing really helped.

So now I'm wondering if this is normal for the 11.32, is it the headphone amp or the power supply that's the source of the noise?  Are my headphones too sensitive and not a good match for this DAC/amp?

May 25, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #607 of 3,093
Quote:
Questions about noise floor:

First off hello everyone, I've been lurking here for some time now, but didn't officially register until I recently purchased the Denon AH-D600 headphones and a 11.32 DAC (with the upgraded clocks) to listen to music at home and work with my new Mac Book Pro (w SSD) and various other Mac systems at the office.

I have been pleased with the quality (value) of the DAC, and have had no issues getting it to work with all formats via Audirvana.  The only minor quibble would be with the cheap power cord supplied with the DAC - the cord fits too loose in the socket that is also too shallow for the cord supplied (nothing serious though).

Anyhow, after several weeks of running the DAC 8+ hours a day, I decided to do some critical testing.  First was to compare the noise floor of the headphone amp.  I generated a 1-5khz sine sweep with Sox and then dropped the volume to various levels from -90db all the way to -130db.  Then I listened to each in order while raising the volume to see at which point the noise floor covers up the signal.  With the 11.32 I'm getting somewhere around -115db, but the noise floor is quite "loud" by then.  By contrast all the Macs I have used have a quieter noise floor on the builtin amp. I can hear down to -120db and the noise floor is not nearly as bad as with the 11.32.  I have tried various different configs including running the Macbook Pro off battery power, running the 11.32 off a UPS, but nothing really helped.

So now I'm wondering if this is normal for the 11.32, is it the headphone amp or the power supply that's the source of the noise?  Are my headphones too sensitive and not a good match for this DAC/amp?

I would suspect the Denon is not a good match. I have almost the same setup as you (2012 Mac Mini->iTunes->Audirvana Plus->11.32), but my headphones are the Sennheiser HD650 and AKG K702. Using the 11.32 as DAC with my ALO Pan Am or using the buiit-in headphone amp there is no noise even listening solo piano.

May 26, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #608 of 3,093
It seems a lot of people have trouble with the software (drivers) supplied with this dac/amp. Is that a fairly common thing to have happen? I kinda want to get one of these but I really don't feel like fighting with my computer for a couple hours to get everything working either.

May 27, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #613 of 3,093
Hi guys, I'll be waiting to receive my 11.32 soon and just wanted to reconfirm with everyone regarding the firmware/driver issues.  If my 11.32 installs fine and works straight off the bat, should I just not worry about any updates?  I'm buying it 2nd hand off another head-fier who said he purchased it brand new from Audio-gd in november so I'm assuming that these are the ones that are pre-installed with firmware 3.  Are the most current firmware/drivers firmware 7 and driver 2.0?  Are installing these purely for compatability issues? or is there actual improvements to the 11.32 from updating firmware and drivers?  I want the optimal performance out of my 11.32 but if there's no real benefits then there's no point in fixing something if it's not broken right?

For reference I'll be using Win7 64 bit with foobar like the previous 2 users here so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything will work fine from initial install.

May 27, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #614 of 3,093
Quote:
Hi guys, I'll be waiting to receive my 11.32 soon and just wanted to reconfirm with everyone regarding the firmware/driver issues.  If my 11.32 installs fine and works straight off the bat, should I just not worry about any updates?  I'm buying it 2nd hand off another head-fier who said he purchased it brand new from Audio-gd in november so I'm assuming that these are the ones that are pre-installed with firmware 3.  Are the most current firmware/drivers firmware 7 and driver 2.0?  Are installing these purely for compatability issues? or is there actual improvements to the 11.32 from updating firmware and drivers?  I want the optimal performance out of my 11.32 but if there's no real benefits then there's no point in fixing something if it's not broken right?

For reference I'll be using Win7 64 bit with foobar like the previous 2 users here so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything will work fine from initial install.

Congratz Gary...Read post #603

May 27, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #615 of 3,093
@GaryPham and HeatFan12
Let me be the voice of different opinion and different approach. I'm a computer and sound devices user, which love to test new things. Whatever is new firmware or driver i like to test it, check sonic impact etc. Esepcially in case of USB-32 there is great margin of potential improvents due to firmware upgrade area. Till now i think firmware 7 and driver 2.0 is the best it is, both sonically and functionally, especially if you are using VIA ASIO. So on the contrary to HeatFan12 i do recommended upgrade firmware to 7 and using driver2.0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back