Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Nov 12, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #166 of 3,093
Yes, this is my last hope, I've read it recently in some other theme, if I remember correctly, it was NFB15.1 theme, that changing to other USB cable solved some similiar synchro problems of someone. I will for sure test it, and will let here know. If the problem would be ONLY the cable, I will be very very happy man.

But I don't think, when it doesn't happen with Coax, it is a proof, that it would not happen with USB transfer too. I have feeling, that coaxial transmition is based on other data flow, then this asynchronous USB transfer, but maybe I mistake.

I wonder if there is potentially some sort of conflict or issue with having the USB receiver chip being powered internally by the power supply of the 11.32, and also having the computer's USB port sending power to the receiver chip as well?

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #167 of 3,093
Quote:
I agree that the problem could be a USB only problem, but what would be the cause? it could be the USB port / chip on the PC, it could be the USB cable or it could be the USB chip on the 11.32. Let's hope it is the cable.

I think, it can be also USB chip in NFB11.32. Better said, link between this chip, and audio-gd drivers. It's ran firmware on it, so it's some kind of software, that is communicate with USB port, which is controled by drivers. So, between USB chip and software drivers of Windows, there is probably some kind of communication, based on some synchronisation, but when the powerline shortage occurs, this synchronization can get out of tune. I think, this new USB32 technology have some speciality in it, and in NFB11.32's part of side, it's not just passive reciever. I think, both NFB11.32 chip/firmware and USB port (controlled by software drivers) are active in this USB32 asynchronous link.
On the other side, coaxial transfer is maybe made by other way, where the whole work is done before SPDIF port, so it is just passively sent in the cable, and DAC is just passively recieving it... that's why no special drivers are needed, no firmware updates for NFB11.32, etc... just plug in and it's done.
But I am in no way authority in this technical issues, this is only how I am imaging it, maybe I am mistaken here in my imagination.
Important note is, that if would it be the NFB11.32 chip, maybe more users would have this problem, but it's not the case. So I still have a hope, that it is really a cable (but for me it's very weird, as cables usually don't have problems... honestly said, for all my life, when something didn't work, and I've resolved the problem, it NEVER had been on cable's side. :))

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaselock /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If not you could also check if you have another USB device like a Camera connected to the PC via USB, and see what happens with the USB connection when there is a power fluctuation (i.e. turn the lamp on/off) to see if it is the PC or any USB devices - I would assume that a camera is best because it is self powered like the 11.32. If the camera works fine and is not disconnected (or reconnected) in windows, then I would assume that the problem is at the 11.32 end, otherwise it could be the PC loosing sync. 

As I've said, I've had NFB12.1 before, connected through USB port too. It had old type of USB transfer, not asynchronous one. I had it in same power slot, and same flat, everything was just same, as it is now, and this problem didn't occure. NFB12.1 as DAC, would be even better example than Camera, and as nothing such happened, I can assume, that problem that I have now is for sure not on PC's side. (which is obvios, as I have quality Seasonic Power Supply there, which can handle power line shortages with easy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaselock /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Anyway good luck with another cable!

Thank you.

Nov 12, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #168 of 3,093
Quote:
How do I check the firmware version on the 11.32?

bump  
wink.gif

Nov 14, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #171 of 3,093
Anybody have this issue with NFB11.32?

When you plug-in your NFB11.32 into USB slot (or just turn it on), the message about device can perform faster in USB Hi-Speed 2.0 port, will appear.

Of course, my motherboard has all USB ports set to Hi-Speed, and they are 2.0. My USB flash disk can perform in Hi-Speed, and copy files with this speed.

Nov 14, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #172 of 3,093
Quote:

Anyway good luck with another cable!

Today, I've tried to change cable for standart USB kable from my printer. I didn't know, printer have same type of connectors A-B.
From initial testing, it seems, IT SOLVED THE PROBLEM. OH MY... I've turned on and off lamp 5 times, no freeze happened, and refrigator already ran once, and also nothing happened.. I cannot believe, solution of my 2 week suffering just laid 1 meter next to computer, in USB cable to printer. Just cannot believe this... HOW... it can be a cable.
Anyway, 1000 stones dropped from my heart now... now when USB cable can have such influence, I will go to buy some better USB cable, at least for 10$.

Nov 14, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #173 of 3,093
Quote:
Today, I've tried to change cable for standart USB kable from my printer. I didn't know, printer have same type of connectors A-B.
From initial testing, it seems, IT SOLVED THE PROBLEM. OH MY... I've turned on and off lamp 5 times, no freeze happened, and refrigator already ran once, and also nothing happened.. I cannot believe, solution of my 2 week suffering just laid 1 meter next to computer, in USB cable to printer. Just cannot believe this... HOW... it can be a cable.
Anyway, 1000 stones dropped from my heart now... now when USB cable can have such influence, I will go to buy some better USB cable, at least for 10$.

Wonderful news! Here is a nice award winning cable for a decent price.

Nov 14, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #175 of 3,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrax /img/forum/go_quote.gif

IT SOLVED THE PROBLEM. OH MY... I've turned on and off lamp 5 times, no freeze happened, and refrigator already ran once, and also nothing happened..

Ok, it's confirmed. The more than hour of listening without any break by freezing... cable from printer is standing it good. :)
Finally, I can enjoy music without that bad feeling, it will be soon or later interupted by freezing. I can get relaxed and focus on music.
I'm so happy now, really enjoying the music finally. And even despite ASIO is not working, it doesn't change my feeling. I am listening under Windows XP without ASIO, and it sounds anyway hell good... now, focused and relaxed, I can finally do some critical listening. It's a level above NFB12.1. The sound of this device, I would describe, as crystal clear. It's little raw, no smoothness, colorness, or enhanced musicality effect, like in NFB12.1. Just the crystal clear details everywhere. I can notice sounds, that before merged with other sounds, were dim and remained hidden, and so I could not able to notice them. Now they are more separated, revealed, for ones ear. You'll notice them, because before, you didn't, and you'll get suprised, there's something new, what there wasn't.
Right now, I am comparing this baby with my previous DAC, NFB12.1.
The most noticable difference is of course in highs. The clearness of this device makes them shine at full potencial, nothing is lost. NFB12.1 had them rolled off by a bit, and they were also partially lost in that veil of smoothness. In mids, I don't see lot of differance, at first hearing, I don't see any, except, here on this device is not presented that veil of coloration and smoothness, so everything is like more neutral and more separated.
In bass, there's also differance. I would say, in terms of weight and number of basses, the both devices are equal. But here, basses are more tight, you can feel more sureness in every impact, like drummer is more self-confident with every beat. I don't know, if I am now speaking about "precision"... I've heard it few times, that "on xy device, basses are more precise". Yes, maybe it is that right term, as when drummer is more self-confident, the result is, he is more precise with every beat. Now, on this device, you have feeling, like the drummer is little more precise, than on NFB12.1.
All these differances, I've described, are noticable. The highs and clearness right at the first hearing, and basses... you immediately notice, here's also differance, but you need a little bit focus, what exactly is different, so the differance in basses is not so big, as diffreance in highs. Yes, the chips have noticable different characteristic. I have to say, that it's really a differance, and I need to get used to it, because sometimes, in some passages of music, the musicality, warmth and smoothness of NFB12.1 is missing for me, and the raw clearness and separation will attract my attention too much, for example, when I have it run only in background and focusing on other task, while listening music. I'm not sure right now, If I can eat all this clearness and get fully use to it. Only time will tell. Maybe, after some time, I would not want to go back, to colorness, in any little way. But right now, I would a little bit, like 20% way to NFB12.1.
Right now, I have at home only my SR850 headphones.. they are bright. But I remember, SR850 on NFB12.1 wasn't so clear. I would say, SR850 pair better with NFB11.32 , than NFB12.1. Highs are highlighted here too, but it is not so disturbing, as they are nicer... they don't hurt ears so much, as on NFB12... simply they are more enjoyable.
Maybe, to NFB11.32 are more suitable brighter headphones. On NFB12.1 I've liked more colored and dark headphones, like HD600. HD600 are on the way btw, and I am a little bit affraid, if it will fit to NFB11.32 same good, as to NFB12.1. If darkness of HD600, will not dim that crystal clearness too much, and result will be disturbing. This fear is because SR850 as bright headphones sounds really much better than on NFB12.1, and I didn't like for example DT880 on NFB12.1 Maybe, on NFB11.32 would DT880 shine, but unfortunately, I don't have them at home anymore. Now I see, that testing of headphones can succeed differently on two different DACs, results could be other story.

Ok, from my joy, I've made a little review, even when I didn't intent to, hehe. It was unprepared, so it's a little bit chaotic, but I don't delete it, I let it there unmodified. I would call it - "my initial impressions with NFB11.32 after I could finally get into relaxing uniterrupted listening music, right after 1000 stones dropped from my heart".

Nov 14, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #176 of 3,093
Ok, it's confirmed. The more than hour of listening without any break by freezing... cable from printer is standing it good. :)
Finally, I can enjoy music without that bad feeling, it will be soon or later interupted by freezing. I can get relaxed and focus on music.

Awesome mate, great news. And I agree with the review.

As you are looking at another USB cable I can recommend the Wireworld Ultraviolet USB. If you are in the US I think it is good value at around $50 new ( but a steal if you can find someone that is willing to part with it second hand). There could be better options, this is the only one I have tried ( and one of the only few I could afford ) and I'm very happy with it. I know it is probably twice as much as you are willing to spend.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultraviolet-Usb-Flat-Cable-Meter/dp/B004M66QS8

A older review is here, http://www.whathifi.com/review/wireworld-ultraviolet-5-usb or a mention, not a review, locally can be found here http://www.head-fi.org/t/486159/wireworld-ultraviolet-usb-competition

I used to be in the camp of more expensive cables don't make a difference, until I borrowed one of these, I noticed an immediate and decent difference in the sound stage and edge details across the board. I ordered one that day.

Either way it is good to hear that you are finally enjoying the 11.32, regardless of whatever cable you end up with.

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #177 of 3,093
[size=x-small]15th Nov. : Through our work, VIA now release the USB32 firmware download tool . Users can download the pack (include the tool, a new firmware #1 and the firmware #3 , users guide) .
Users can change the firmware version under Windows , don't need open the gear to replace the firmware chip .

The USB32 can support DSD original file playback in DS / KS / WASPI model playback in our test with [size=x-small]mulriple[/size] computers .
[/size]

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #178 of 3,093
Quote:
[size=x-small]15th Nov. : Through our work, VIA now release the USB32 firmware download tool . Users can download the pack (include the tool, a new firmware #1 and the firmware #3 , users guide) .
Users can change the firmware version under Windows , don't need open the gear to replace the firmware chip .

The USB32 can support DSD original file playback in DS / KS / WASPI model playback in our test with [size=x-small]multiple[/size] computers .
[/size]

What about for MAC computers? Are there any updates to do? My unit has not reached me yet does it have the latest firmware?

Just checked DHL and it has cleared customs. Boy, am I excited 
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #179 of 3,093
The all firmware can use in Mac without driver.
But VIA declare they have never have the tool under mac, only under Windows.
The #1 firmware have update since 28th Oct, I recommend all users update it if you are using the #1 .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back