Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Feb 9, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #2,386 of 3,093

As far as I can tell, Audio-GD has a fairly good reputation, but they do not do anymore customer contact then what is really needed.
You may not hear from them and the NFB-11 could just one day show up at your doorstep.

Thanks! I certainly don't doubt their reputation, more so it's just making sure that everything went through correctly payment wise. I knew going in I might not see the unit until late February/early March but I guess the mild anxiety comes from sending $370+ to an email address via paypal and not getting a 'hey we received your order' message.

Like I said though, I'm sure all is well, and, as you mentioned, in a couple weeks my new NFB-11 will show up.

Feb 10, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #2,387 of 3,093
Got my nfb11 with the tcxo upgrade now for a couple of days. I can tel you guys; this thing is a blast. I sounds so good! With headphone but also with my speakers. It got power, its warm and direct. I got some trouble getting dsd files to play in foobar but they play in Jriver allright. Also when i first plugged in my Nfb11 my pc didn't recognize the beast. This was due the wrong usb port. The nfb only works with my first usb port in the back of my pc. 
Really happy with my new toy :)

Feb 24, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #2,389 of 3,093
I ordered my NFB 11 with the TCXO upgrade yesterday.  They said the wait time is running 20-30 days at the moment which is fine with me. Gives me time to decide on which pair of headphones I want.  I am leaning heavily to the Sennheiser HD650.  This will be my first ever headphone system and looking forward to it.

Feb 24, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #2,390 of 3,093
  I ordered my NFB 11 with the TCXO upgrade yesterday.  They said the wait time is running 20-30 days at the moment which is fine with me. Gives me time to decide on which pair of headphones I want.  I am leaning heavily to the Sennheiser HD650.  This will be my first ever headphone system and looking forward to it.

I really like my Beyerdynamic T90 headphones.

Mar 7, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #2,396 of 3,093
Any feedback on audio-gd rca interconnects? Intending to hook up nfb-11 to a STAX amp. Also, is stacking the stax amp on top of the nfb-11 fine? Seems like most interconnected are at least a meter long, only need 30cm if they're stacked.

Mar 8, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #2,397 of 3,093
Any feedback on audio-gd rca interconnects? Intending to hook up nfb-11 to a STAX amp. Also, is stacking the stax amp on top of the nfb-11 fine? Seems like most interconnected are at least a meter long, only need 30cm if they're stacked.

I recommend ghentaudio interconnects. I ordered custom length XLR, RCA, HDMI for i2s, banana plug cables, and USB through them. They use quality industry standard components like Canare, Belden, and Neutrik. Very affordable interconnects even with custom length, and free shipping.

Mar 8, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #2,398 of 3,093
My NFB-11 arrived yesterday and I honestly couldn't be any happier.

Over the years the 'upgrades' to my headphones/headphone related accessories have always felt minor/incremental. Often times I've wondered 'do I prefer this equipment because it sounds better, or because it is supposed to sound better?' 

My first real revelation in audio came last December when I purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD650s. Even 'under-powered' (as the forum goers would say) I immediately took to the sound signature of the HD650s. After a week my Fidelio X2s sounded almost un-listenable. I had found my headphones, and now I needed a proper dac/amp. At the time I was using an SMSL-793 which, to my ears, seemed to power the HD650s just fine.... but, you know, more power!!!! 

Of course, the ubiquitous recommendation on audio forums is a Schiit Stack. While I would eventually go down the path I, on a whim, first ordered the Fulla 2. It sounded a bit better and I definitely preferred the 'plug everything in and it just works' approach Schiit had taken, and for only a $30ish dollar premium I was happy with the purchase. Had I stayed away from the forums I would probably still be happily using the Fulla 2 (and never really knowing how good the HD650s could sound). But I didn't... and every time I read a post that said the 650s need more power I wondered what I was missing out on. So, in January I decided to pull the trigger... $370 later I was the owner of a Schiit Uber Stack complete with pyst interconnects.

This was it... I hit my audio ceiling... except... I didn't. The difference between the Stack and the Fulla 2 was incredibly minimal. So much so that I wondered if there was something wrong with my hearing. I actually had a couple friends test it out and the universal response was 'they sound the same'. What? This lead me to believe one of two things... either the Fulla 2 was a $99 god-device and my HD650s were being driven to their full potential, or in order to get to their mythical 'full potential' I was going to have to spend a whole lot more money... and then I heard about the NFB-11.

Admittedly my first exposure to the brand was via the Zeos review. While it didn't prompt me to immediately purchase one, I did start doing some research. Refreshingly Audio-gd seemed less interested in brand image/industrial design, and more focused the underlying technology. After reading about several QC issues with the Fulla 2 and experiencing problems with my Modi 2U, I appreciated Audio-gd's approach to continuous qc and testing. On Super Bowl Sunday, after far too many drinks, I decided, what the hell and placed my order. I knew it would be about a month (turned out to be exactly 30 days) but the fact that every unit is hand built and both mechanically and 'human' tested made the wait worth it (even after some initial anxiety about not getting any kind of payment confirmation email).

So, if you've made it this far, you're probably wondering.... well, is it worth it?

For roughly what I paid for my Schiit stack and interconnects I received my NFB-11 with TCXO upgrades. The unit itself is flawless, no scratches/dents/dings. In pictures I'll admit the NFB-11 looks a little plain, and sort of 'thrown together' (at least externally), but in person it screams quality; everything functions precisely. Driver installation via the instruction on this forum and Audio-gd's site (Windows 10 using Vista 64 drivers) was pretty smooth (way smoother than the awful Aune XMOS experience I had).

So, how does it sound?

Amazing.

This is the audio experience I've been looking for since getting my HD650s in December. In comparing the NFB-11 to my prior equipment, I feel as though overall clarity and separation is improved, and bass is very clean with greater impact. I guess the best way to describe it, everything sounds more open and natural. I've only had a couple hours of listening, I'll post updates in the future.

As for the RCA outs, I tested them using some Kabeldirekt Pro Series interconnects and a pair of Kanto YU3 powered monitors. I'll be honest, until getting the NFB-11 I was strongly considering selling the YU3s. I had been using them via optical from my motherboard, after not noticing much difference with the Fulla 2. I really couldn't understand why people recommended these speakers until the NFB-11 came in. Maybe it's the dac, or maybe it's the pre-out but through the NFB-11 (in variable out) the YU3s sound fantastic.

I also received a small bag with a jumper wire, and some other 'things' inside and a small foam container (it looks like two pieces of foam taped together) with some type of IC or controller in it. No clue what any of that stuff is for (save for the two extra rubber feet).

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #2,400 of 3,093

I also received a small bag with a jumper wire, and some other 'things' inside and a small foam container (it looks like two pieces of foam taped together) with some type of IC or controller in it. No clue what any of that stuff is for (save for the two extra rubber feet).

If you figure it out let us know. I am still wondering myself... Could be nice if they had some instructions...

Totally agree with you on quality and sound! There is way too much hype from Schiit fanclub that is totally unjustified. I had one of the first Fulla 2 units and in my opinion it was a total 'schiit' for the lack of better way to descibe it... Variety of quality issues and subpar sound that did not work for me. I scrapped my plans with getting a Jot from them after being disappointed with Fulla 2... Got NFB-11 and that just makes headphones sing! Including HD650! Very nice unit with awesome sound! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back