Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Feb 3, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #2,371 of 3,093

NFB-11 Windows installation instructions:​

* DO NOT PLUG IN NFB-11 YET
* Download and extract http://www.audio-gd.com/Audio-gdUSB32driverversion2.rar
* Inside the driver folder, run SETUP.EXE
* Say no when it asks you to reboot
* Go into viaudusb\Driver\Vista64 folder
* Right-Click ViaUsbAudio.inf and click Install
* Reboot
* PLUG NFB-11 IN NOW

Thank you for good instructions. I finally managed to install ASIO driver for my NFB-11 with TCXO on my Win 10 PC. I can setup Foobar outpu to ASIO and I can play almost everything. But I found two problems. I cant play native DSD files and I hear high pitch noise in some situations.

- When I chose SACD output for DSD it dont plays any DSD files. Playback starts but I cant hear any sound.
- If I switch SACD output to PCM it works and I can hear music.
- When I use Wasapi output and set SACD to DSD it plays the music. It plays DSD64, DSD128 and with DSD256 it shows error that it is not supported. So it looks like Foobar is sending native DSD and DAC can play it.
- But when with sampling set to 352 I can hear high pitch noise. With 176 is less noticeable but it is there. With 88 it is (almost) gone.  
- I found strange thing that this high pitch noise is there even when I am playing any PCM tracks with high frequency rates. It is noticible from 176 and it is going loeder with frequency rise. In 352khz tracks it is very noticeable.
- All this is problem only with USB connection.
- Also I found that this high pitch noise is only noticeable when I am using my studio monitors (JBL LSR305). When I am using my headphones it is gone. So it looks like there is some problem with USB, PC, MB, ground loop or something which I was fighting few weeks ago with ifi iDSD (http://www.head-fi.org/t/826359/ground-isolation-and-clean-power-for-my-idsd-nano). But this noise is diferent than I hear with Nano and is there only with some track frequencies :D

- When I am using Toslink I can play 192khz tracks without any noise. And I can set SACD decoder to PCM 44,1 and it plays nice.
- So now I can choose if I want to use Toslink and downsample DSD to PCM 44,1 or use USB and downsample DSD to 88,2 and also fight with mute design (clicking and few seconds of silence everytime I start playback)

I know it is mess of numbers and problems, but for me the main problem is native DSD playback. So if somebody can help me to solve my problem (or any of my problems:wink:) I will be very grateful. Thank you.

Feb 3, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #2,372 of 3,093

Would that be okay? There is nothing more to set up I think.

*Edit* I'm also able to set the Audio Format Priority to Linear PCM, Bitstream (Dolby) & Bitstream (DTS) if that helps.

With kind regards,
Krustaf

It's a 2 channel DAC. Needs 2 channel input, not 5.1.

Feb 3, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #2,374 of 3,093
It's a 2 channel DAC. Needs 2 channel input, not 5.1.

And what about the AAC input? As you surely can tell I have no knowledge on the subject, just thought I could finally use my 600 ohm cans with it.

*Edit* Just found this on another board "If you are using an optical cable, the cable can only handle the PCM signal as a 2.0 stereo signal. Therefore, since the PS4 is sending the lossless audio as PCM, the cable will downmix the signal to 2.0 stereo."

With kind regards,
Krustaf

Feb 5, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #2,376 of 3,093
The downmixing is due to the linear pcm signal, an optical cable can only handle 2 loseless channels because of it's limited bandwidth. With HDMI it's a different manner tho. This much info I could gather, lucky for me as I need a stereo pcm signal through optical :)

With kind regards,
Krustaf

Feb 6, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #2,378 of 3,093
Thank you for good instructions. I finally managed to install ASIO driver for my NFB-11 with TCXO on my Win 10 PC. I can setup Foobar outpu to ASIO and I can play almost everything. But I found two problems. I cant play native DSD files and I hear high pitch noise in some situations.

- When I chose SACD output for DSD it dont plays any DSD files. Playback starts but I cant hear any sound.
- If I switch SACD output to PCM it works and I can hear music.
- When I use Wasapi output and set SACD to DSD it plays the music. It plays DSD64, DSD128 and with DSD256 it shows error that it is not supported. So it looks like Foobar is sending native DSD and DAC can play it.
- But when with sampling set to 352 I can hear high pitch noise. With 176 is less noticeable but it is there. With 88 it is (almost) gone.  
- I found strange thing that this high pitch noise is there even when I am playing any PCM tracks with high frequency rates. It is noticible from 176 and it is going loeder with frequency rise. In 352khz tracks it is very noticeable.
- All this is problem only with USB connection.
- Also I found that this high pitch noise is only noticeable when I am using my studio monitors (JBL LSR305). When I am using my headphones it is gone. So it looks like there is some problem with USB, PC, MB, ground loop or something which I was fighting few weeks ago with ifi iDSD (http://www.head-fi.org/t/826359/ground-isolation-and-clean-power-for-my-idsd-nano). But this noise is diferent than I hear with Nano and is there only with some track frequencies :D

- When I am using Toslink I can play 192khz tracks without any noise. And I can set SACD decoder to PCM 44,1 and it plays nice.
- So now I can choose if I want to use Toslink and downsample DSD to PCM 44,1 or use USB and downsample DSD to 88,2 and also fight with mute design (clicking and few seconds of silence everytime I start playback)

I know it is mess of numbers and problems, but for me the main problem is native DSD playback. So if somebody can help me to solve my problem (or any of my problems:wink:) I will be very grateful. Thank you.

I'm curious if you have solved you problem. I'm experiencing also so trouble playing DSD files natively. Sometimes I also experience noice or no sound at all. I'm not shure when and which though.
Are your studio monitors active? Some amps have trouble amping signals in the high frequency area. This can also lead to these kinds of noises.

Feb 6, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #2,379 of 3,093
Hi, no I didnt solve my problem. For this moment I am using toslink input and DSD converting to PCM 44.1. I have JBL LSR305. The noise with USB is diferent than it was with ifi iDSD. I think the PSU / MB / someting in PC is problematic and in combination with active speakers it causing this noise. I was using ifi iUSB 3.0 and the noise was almost gone. So I am planing to buy this device and I also want to try iDefender3.0 and iSilencer3.0. But I think iDefender3.0 with iUSB will be enough and I will have finally good and clean USB signal.

Feb 9, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #2,381 of 3,093
  I'm also interested in getting the NFB11 after considering the Schiit stack but I'm confused with the price from the audio-gd website.

How much is the base NFB11, US $305 or $275?

Audio-GD NFB-11 base price is $305 and  $35 for shipping, to North America.

Feb 9, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #2,382 of 3,093
Well, I went ahead and placed my order on Sunday, February 5th. I'm not sure what the protocol is. As mentioned above I had requested a quote, was sent an invoice without the upgrades I had asked for and told the NFB-11 was back ordered and would not ship until the end of the month. I informed the rep that the quote was missing the upgrades and received an updated quote a couple of days later. When I sent funds via paypal I included the PO number from the correct quote. I still haven't heard anything from audio-gd. I don't really know if they follow up and confirm payment receipt or if I won't hear back from them until the end of the month when the unit ships.

In any case I'm stoked. I've been using the Fulla 2 since the end of December, and I'm looking forward to the upgrade.

Feb 9, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #2,383 of 3,093
  Well, I went ahead and placed my order on Sunday, February 5th. I'm not sure what the protocol is. As mentioned above I had requested a quote, was sent an invoice without the upgrades I had asked for and told the NFB-11 was back ordered and would not ship until the end of the month. I informed the rep that the quote was missing the upgrades and received an updated quote a couple of days later. When I sent funds via paypal I included the PO number from the correct quote. I still haven't heard anything from audio-gd. I don't really know if they follow up and confirm payment receipt or if I won't hear back from them until the end of the month when the unit ships.

In any case I'm stoked. I've been using the Fulla 2 since the end of December, and I'm looking forward to the upgrade.

As far as I can tell, Audio-GD has a fairly good reputation, but they do not do anymore customer contact then what is really needed.
You may not hear from them and the NFB-11 could just one day show up at your doorstep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back