Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Jan 25, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #2,359 of 3,093
I received a response from Audio-GD this morning letting me know the NFB-11 is currently back ordered until the end of February. I still think I'll pull the trigger to ensure the 5% off. Unfortunately I have to wait for a new quote as they failed to include the cost of the TCXO upgrades.

In any case I'm pretty excited. When I purchased my HD650s I also bought an Aune X1s to replace my SMSL SD793. The Aune was definitely a upgrade in the sound department but I worried about the relatively low power amp. I eventually returned it and bought a Fulla 2 as interim solution until I figured out what I ultimately wanted to do. For what it is, the Fulla 2 works great. So much so that I decided to buy the full "Schiit Stack". Unfortunately the Modi 2U was defective, and using the Fulla 2 as my dac, I didn't notice a tremendous difference between the Fulla 2's amp stage and the Magni 2U. As such the magni/modi were returned and the quest continued.

Admittedly, I'd never heard of Audio-GD until the Zeos review of the NFB-11. This weekend I started listening to the DMS3 "Unamed Audio Podcast" and one of the presenters actually talked about what made the NFB-11 unique. That spurred a renewed interest, and after 3 solid hours of reading everything I could about Audio-GD and the NFB-11 I decided it's going to be my next dac/amp.

Of course, I'll now have to wait well over a month to get mine... thankfully, as I mentioned above, I'm quite happy with my Fulla 2 in the mean time.

Jan 28, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #2,360 of 3,093
  I received a response from Audio-GD this morning letting me know the NFB-11 is currently back ordered until the end of February. I still think I'll pull the trigger to ensure the 5% off. Unfortunately I have to wait for a new quote as they failed to include the cost of the TCXO upgrades.

In any case I'm pretty excited. When I purchased my HD650s I also bought an Aune X1s to replace my SMSL SD793. The Aune was definitely a upgrade in the sound department but I worried about the relatively low power amp. I eventually returned it and bought a Fulla 2 as interim solution until I figured out what I ultimately wanted to do. For what it is, the Fulla 2 works great. So much so that I decided to buy the full "Schiit Stack". Unfortunately the Modi 2U was defective, and using the Fulla 2 as my dac, I didn't notice a tremendous difference between the Fulla 2's amp stage and the Magni 2U. As such the magni/modi were returned and the quest continued.

Admittedly, I'd never heard of Audio-GD until the Zeos review of the NFB-11. This weekend I started listening to the DMS3 "Unamed Audio Podcast" and one of the presenters actually talked about what made the NFB-11 unique. That spurred a renewed interest, and after 3 solid hours of reading everything I could about Audio-GD and the NFB-11 I decided it's going to be my next dac/amp.

Of course, I'll now have to wait well over a month to get mine... thankfully, as I mentioned above, I'm quite happy with my Fulla 2 in the mean time.

Just out of interest what is unique about the NFB-11? For like me that do not know yet.

Jan 28, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #2,361 of 3,093

Just out of interest what is unique about the NFB-11? For like me that do not know yet.

I'm certainly not qualified to speak to the details, so checkout the 4th episode of the podcast I mentioned above. Essentially it comes down to Audio-GD's use of a 'current conveyor' system in the NFB-11 (not sure if they use this in all of their amps or not). I don't know that this system is any better or worse than other technologies being used but it sounds as though it's definitely uncommon.

Jan 29, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #2,363 of 3,093
Anyone out there with both NFB-11 and Fostex HP-A4 could share a comparison?

If you look at the specs, you can tell that the HP-A4's headphone amp is a lot weaker with only 100mw at 32 ohm. The NFB-11 is rated 3500mW/25 ohm & 1800mW/50 ohm (32 ohm will be somewhere in between). Then note that the HP-A4's power consumption is only 2.5W vs 12W for the NFB-11. So if you want a headphone amp that will easily drive a wide range of headphones like the NFB-11 can, the HP-A4 is not it.

Jan 29, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #2,364 of 3,093

I'm certainly not qualified to speak to the details, so checkout the 4th episode of the podcast I mentioned above. Essentially it comes down to Audio-GD's use of a 'current conveyor' system in the NFB-11 (not sure if they use this in all of their amps or not). I don't know that this system is any better or worse than other technologies being used but it sounds as though it's definitely uncommon.

I listened to it for a bit, went over my head a little bit heh.

So I ordered my NFB 11 in the beginning of January and they told me there was a 20 day lead time, a similar situation to yourself, I assume there is a lot of demand for these units and he just can't keep up at the moment. Funnily enough they also failed to include the TXCO upgrade on my invoice as well.

For my personal requirements I was going to get the Schiit Uber Stack which ends up being a little bit more expensive than the NFB 11 including shipping, but not being not as good from what I have read so far. I can now use my studio monitors, headphones and plug the NFB 11 into my soundcard via a optical cable, literally everything that I needed. I am quite happy with it.

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:32 AM Post #2,367 of 3,093
  The Beyer T1 does not sound harsh with the NFB-11?

I think that in the end I will be able to answer to myself to this question. I ordered some T1.2 and I wait to receive them.
But, attention, T1.2 is not quite the same as T1.1 because from what I read it has improved bass and less treble.
Hopefully not less detail.

Feb 3, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #2,368 of 3,093
Hey guys,

can anyone of you per chance answer me if the nfb-11 works in combination with the PS4? (It has an optical-out & can be set to audio-output through optical only.)

With kind regards,

Krustaf

Feb 3, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #2,369 of 3,093
Can you set the PS4 to output only stereo over optical? The NFB-11 will definitely not take a multichannel signal. I would imagine it has to be 2 channel PCM.

Feb 3, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #2,370 of 3,093
Can you set the PS4 to output only stereo over optical? The NFB-11 will definitely not take a multichannel signal. I would imagine it has to be 2 channel PCM.

Would that be okay? There is nothing more to set up I think.

*Edit* I'm also able to set the Audio Format Priority to Linear PCM, Bitstream (Dolby) & Bitstream (DTS) if that helps.

With kind regards,
Krustaf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back