Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
May 31, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #1,456 of 2,577
Has anyone tried the R2R11 with Beyerdynamic T90?
There is a second hand T90 for sale with very good price but I am hesitant to engage blindly. I have never heard Beyerdynamic cans.
The T90 is described and analytical and siblant in some cases. Can the R2R11 compensate for this?
The HD800 is described in similar terms (although technically much better) and there are reports that it synergizes really well with R2R11 (also Kingwa uses it with R2R11, I think it was igor who reported this).

So anyone tried the T90 with R2R11?

May 31, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #1,457 of 2,577
I am considering buying an NFB-11. I see that there is currently a small production run of an NFB11-38 being done. It's $70 more than the 28 (with the TXCO added) and it appears that the only difference is the ES9038 vs the ES9028.

I've done a bit of searching but so far haven't been able to discern the differences. Is it worth the $70 increase in cost? Thoughts?

May 31, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #1,458 of 2,577
I am considering buying an NFB-11. I see that there is currently a small production run of an NFB11-38 being done. It's $70 more than the 28 (with the TXCO added) and it appears that the only difference is the ES9038 vs the ES9028.

I've done a bit of searching but so far haven't been able to discern the differences. Is it worth the $70 increase in cost? Thoughts?

Es9028Pro has lower Dynamic range than ES9038Pro. The 9038Pro is the top of the line from ESS now.

May 31, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #1,459 of 2,577
Es9028Pro has lower Dynamic range than ES9038Pro. The 9038Pro is the top of the line from ESS now.
What does that mean practically? Has anyone actually heard the 9028 and 9038 and could describe the actual benefits, of any? For example, what differences would you pick up between the 28.28 and 28.38 (only because those have been out for ages and the 11.38 is new and untested).

May 31, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #1,460 of 2,577
What does that mean practically? Has anyone actually heard the 9028 and 9038 and could describe the actual benefits, of any? For example, what differences would you pick up between the 28.28 and 28.38 (only because those have been out for ages and the 11.38 is new and untested).

I don’t have a full scale desktop Of different DAC of the same brand here to do just that. But technically speaking for Sigma-Delta, higher dynamic range results in better timbres realism. Simply put, less harshness or digital glares.

I do have Ibasso DX200 which has Dual ESS9028Pro, and also LKS004 which has Dual ESS9038Pro. It is not fair to compare them both just for the sake of Chip VS Chip. Because there are many other parameters at plays here. But I can tell you the one thing I am so sure Off is that the LKS004 does not have any Digital Glares or Harshness, at all, while DX200 does have it in comparison.

Also, it depends on people other gears such as amplifier and headphones to determines. Sometimes noises, or glares, or harshness could be perceived for better resolutions, brightness, or more preferable.

I just can not tell you enough how this can of worms can expand.

Just simply to answer your questions. The ES9038Pro is the utmost superior in ESS technology At this very moment.

Jun 1, 2018 at 4:27 AM Post #1,461 of 2,577
My R2R arrived today and had the new Dekoni Elite Velour pads come with them in the same courier delivery. I'm 3 1/2 hours into the warming up R2R, The Who's Live At Leeds is currently belting out - effortlessly - into the 600 ohm Sennheiser HD540 Ref1s at only around 1pm on the dial, powering along with slamming lead guitar chords, cracking and speedy drums, crisp bass guitar from one of the very best there ever was and belting vocals, the audience well separated out behind the band in space. If this is the R2R when brand new, then I have much to look forward to!! Only another 496 1/2 hrs to being fully run in according to king-wa :) I suspect it will be even more magnificent well before that time, already it has lost the slightly thick bass and mild electronic glare of new electronics and The Who sounds full of life, dynamic and expressive, I know this album very well and it's damn fine at the moment! No slugging of rhythms, it's already very coherent and musically fluid, my kind of gear!
Technically, it has quite a bit less power than the Magni 3 into 300/600 ohms, but I'd never know it. Excellent. Already it's made me want to sing along with The Mamaku Project and get up and dance to the swinging Saharan desert blues of Terakaft. Now THAT is a musical instrument in my book. In fact, any gear that can't do that is out the door and doesn't belong in my home, no matter how technically proficient it may be. This one's a keeper! A cracking bit of kit. Thank you, king-wa!
P.S. So far this is via the MacBook Pro, USB out through the AQ Jitterbug/Kimber USB cable. I'll try the QP1R via optical out later this evening, I suspect it might be even better. No, I haven't done the 5V blocking trick yet.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 5:24 AM Post #1,462 of 2,577
Funnily enough DSD is working fine for me. I use Foobar mostly but I tried it with JRiver and it persisted.

Also, the problem seems to have gone now. Absolutely no idea what fixed this. I know for a fact that its not player-associated problem.
Dsd might require some specific break-in time because the conversion is done at a much higher frequency than pcm.

Jun 1, 2018 at 5:31 AM Post #1,463 of 2,577
My R2R arrived today and had the new Dekoni Elite Velour pads come with them in the same courier delivery. I'm 3 1/2 hours into the warming up R2R, The Who's Live At Leeds is currently belting out - effortlessly - into the 600 ohm Sennheiser HD540 Ref1s at only around 1pm on the dial, powering along with slamming lead guitar chords, cracking and speedy drums, crisp bass guitar from one of the very best there ever was and belting vocals, the audience well separated out behind the band in space. If this is the R2R when brand new, then I have much to look forward to!! Only another 496 1/2 hrs to being fully run in according to king-wa :) I suspect it will be even more magnificent well before that time, already it has lost the slightly thick bass and mild electronic glare of new electronics and The Who sounds full of life, dynamic and expressive, I know this album very well and it's damn fine at the moment! No slugging of rhythms, it's already very coherent and musically fluid, my kind of gear!
Technically, it has quite a bit less power than the Magni 3 into 300/600 ohms, but I'd never know it. Excellent. Already it's made me want to sing along with The Mamaku Project and get up and dance to the swinging Saharan desert blues of Terakaft. Now THAT is a musical instrument in my book. In fact, any gear that can't do that is out the door and doesn't belong in my home, no matter how technically proficient it may be. This one's a keeper! A cracking bit of kit. Thank you, king-wa!
P.S. So far this is via the MacBook Pro, USB out through the AQ Jitterbug/Kimber USB cable. I'll try the QP1R via optical out later this evening, I suspect it might be even better. No, I haven't done the 5V blocking trick yet.
The bass will get better. And other aspects. But as you said, it's great from day 1. How coherent, fluid and spatially accurate it is, in that price range, is something really special.

Jun 1, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #1,464 of 2,577
The bass will get better. And other aspects. But as you said, it's great from day 1. How coherent, fluid and spatially accurate it is, in that price range, is something really special.
Indeed it is! It complements the Schiit stack beautifully, that coherent fluidity is shared with them both.

Jun 1, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #1,465 of 2,577
Funnily enough DSD is working fine for me. I use Foobar mostly but I tried it with JRiver and it persisted.

Also, the problem seems to have gone now. Absolutely no idea what fixed this. I know for a fact that its not player-associated problem.
Were the noise issues associated with DSD or PCM? The R2R-11 does have issues playing back native DSD - it suffers from high frequency radio noise during quieter passages of some but not all DSD files. If you’re not hearing any HF interference during DSD playback then either those particular files aren’t affected or your player is not playing back native DSD but converting to PCM along the way. PCM playback is perfect for me at every sample rate. Great unit indeed - endgame-quality dac for sure.

Jun 1, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #1,466 of 2,577
Heck, I've heard much more expensive gear that does not sound this real to the human voice, just for example. Katie Melua's voice is quite delicious .. got the new Dekoni pads on the HD6xx, they're still no HD540 Ref1s, but much better now than with the stock pads and significantly more comfortable. I could listen to this for hours! On low gain cruising effortlessly at 11 o'clock. The orchestra sounds beautiful. Outrageously good kit!

Jun 1, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #1,467 of 2,577
Totally agree it sounds wonderful a deep and wide sound stage on the T1.1, the bass is very layered and sounds 3D moving front to back as the notes change I have never heard this with any other DAC / AMP.

The T1.1 have bass with authority now, gorgeous vocals and the highs are just right where they have sounded harsh in the past.

So pleased with it :)

Jun 1, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #1,468 of 2,577
Has anyone tried the R2R11 with Beyerdynamic T90?
There is a second hand T90 for sale with very good price but I am hesitant to engage blindly. I have never heard Beyerdynamic cans.
The T90 is described and analytical and siblant in some cases. Can the R2R11 compensate for this?
The HD800 is described in similar terms (although technically much better) and there are reports that it synergizes really well with R2R11 (also Kingwa uses it with R2R11, I think it was igor who reported this).

So anyone tried the T90 with R2R11?
@VilMo : I'm not a headphones expert by any means, but I like the classic Beyerdynamic sound signature. My Amiron Home is the "so-called" successor of the T90. I've been using it for more than a week now and I'm very satisfied with this combo. If R2R-11 wouldn't have the native dsd issue, this setup were my endgame for a few years.

Jun 2, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #1,469 of 2,577
Wow, here's one for the books! I found the new Dekoni pads a touch too warm for the R2R, so I went back to the stock pads - with Mogami cable - and the result is quite stunningly good! The best I've ever heard the HD6xx/650s. Yes, they lack lower bass dynamic range (the stock pads), but the overall balance is so good that I can't say I particularly care with most music. Only with this amp though.
F'rinstance, I have been just running the amp with a large iTunes selection, quite a few of them recordings of artists from the excellent X-Factor TV series of a couple of years ago. Like .. wow! Totally ALIVE! As in sitting in the audience alive. Even Devo whipping it into shape sounds brilliant :) This amp and DAC is simply outrageous! Not even just for the money, simply brilliant on it's own terms. It readily ebbs and flows in SQ depending on the quality .. or lack thereof - of the various tracks. At all times though, it is superbly alive and musical. Along with the Schiit gear, I am gratefully stunned that such quality kit is available for such reachable prices.
Running in for 26 hours now and stonkingly good!

Jun 2, 2018 at 6:47 AM Post #1,470 of 2,577
sennsay,
I see that you are registered and joined the club of lovers of quality audio for a long time, and you have experience listening to different devices. So, are you definitely satisfied with how the R2R-11 plays music?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back