Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Jun 3, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #1,486 of 2,569
Thanks for the detailed review, but in my case with "jitterbug" as it seemed to me makes the sound more clenched, the impression was created that "jitterbug" ate a dynamic range and added some kind of flatness, all the magic of the sound was lost. At that time, I did not yet know about the isolation of 5 volts and used "jitterbug" + audioquest carbon 0.75 cable. What kimber cable do you use for USB(maybe you compared it with audioquest carbon)? Does it make sense to try another power cable, how do think?

I use r2r-11 at office where a lot of EMI and power network with a lot of switching power supply(impulse) from laptops, monitors etc, and i hear some kind of interference in the form of quiet crunches / wheezing on very quiet moments in music, looks like this mood come from power grid, maybe power cable can help me, some people says that power cords works like some kind of filters... I tried apc power filter, it actually killed the sound... I like the sound of device so much, especially with carbon cable with 5v isolation, but i don't no what to do with this very quite crunches:frowning2:

Sincerly, Andrew
I answered using the PM you sent :) For other folks, no, the Jitterbug has not squashed any dynamic range and in fact the R2R has been performing brilliantly, no weird noises, no squeals, no hiss, no hum, no 5V isolation ..... just great music! Since this R2R will be used as the hub for our lounge music and TV system - mostly, plus quite a few late night listening session, no doubt - I'm not going to fuss with what is already a terrific piece of kit. I haven't switched it off since it arrived three days ago, so I've been able to regularly check in on it and hear how the run-in process has altered the sound in waves, some subtle, others bring more of a feeling that the same tracks sound fantastic one hour and later in the day a little darker and less dramatic. This is often normal with some types of electronics and much less so with others. I know that the Schiit Yggdrasil needed a good month before really settling into it's easy stride. king-wa still tells me up to 500 hours for the R2R to be at it's very best. I'm working on it :) already around the 68 1/2 hour mark. I remember running in an a-gd Earth HDAM in a headphone amp I built and it went through some amazing changes, the biggest at the 50 hour mark when it seemed as if a subwoofer had kicked in and it's stayed like that ever since. The 50 hour mark seems to be a common shift point for a lot of gear to 'relax' as it were, headphones included, my original HD650 did exactly that. Maybe I just have an ear for such subtleties, as do many others.
Yes I know, there are many folks out there who absolutely rubbish burn-in/run-in, and they're welcome to their opinion, it is most certainly NOT my experience over 40 years in this 'hobby', so I don't make my own opinions the reference point for the rest of the planet either :)
We have one of those insidiously nasty so-called 'smart' power meters that the blasted power company snuck in one day when we were out - not so smart meters! The amount of hash, hums and buzzes that it puts through the power system is criminal - I would dearly love to take a hammer to the damn thing - BUT it is not affecting the R2R in any way that seems deleterious to it's health or my ears .... so far.

Jun 3, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #1,487 of 2,569
Thanks for the detailed review, but in my case with "jitterbug" as it seemed to me makes the sound more clenched, the impression was created that "jitterbug" ate a dynamic range and added some kind of flatness, all the magic of the sound was lost. At that time, I did not yet know about the isolation of 5 volts and used "jitterbug" + audioquest carbon 0.75 cable. What kimber cable do you use for USB(maybe you compared it with audioquest carbon)? Does it make sense to try another power cable, how do think?

I use r2r-11 at office where a lot of EMI and power network with a lot of switching power supply(impulse) from laptops, monitors etc, and i hear some kind of interference in the form of quiet crunches / wheezing on very quiet moments in music, looks like this mood come from power grid, maybe power cable can help me, some people says that power cords works like some kind of filters... I tried apc power filter, it actually killed the sound... I like the sound of device so much, especially with carbon cable with 5v isolation, but i don't no what to do with this very quite crunches:frowning2:

Sincerly, Andrew
Andrew, it seems to me that in your circumstances you will be very well served by an AC iPurifier (iFi audio). I still cannot take the smile out of my face for the last two weeks since the AC iPurifier arrived. It vastly improved the dynamics and reduced the noise floor in my system. Now music emerges from completely black background. Jaw dropping really for me. I cannot recommend it enough. I have used/tried quite a few iFi products with mixed results. AC iPurifier exceeded expectations by a mile. Fair to say - I like it a lot☺️
Edit: to answer more directly some of your questions:
Yes, power cables do make a difference with R2R11. The power cable I use is in my signature. My guess is however that the AC iPurifier will make bigger difference.
Regarding Jitterbug, my exerience is similar to yours. I sold it.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #1,489 of 2,569
Just ordered the ac purifier after reading you impressions and reviews on amazon. Looking forward to trying it.
Please share your experiences when you get the AC iPurifier. It will be interesting if it will have positive effect on your R2R7 also.

Jun 4, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #1,490 of 2,569
Andrew, it seems to me that in your circumstances you will be very well served by an AC iPurifier (iFi audio). I still cannot take the smile out of my face for the last two weeks since the AC iPurifier arrived. It vastly improved the dynamics and reduced the noise floor in my system. Now music emerges from completely black background. Jaw dropping really for me. I cannot recommend it enough. I have used/tried quite a few iFi products with mixed results. AC iPurifier exceeded expectations by a mile. Fair to say - I like it a lot☺️
Edit: to answer more directly some of your questions:
Yes, power cables do make a difference with R2R11. The power cable I use is in my signature. My guess is however that the AC iPurifier will make bigger difference.
Regarding Jitterbug, my exerience is similar to yours. I sold it.
Yep, i'm sold jitterbug too, seems to be difficult to find ifi ac purifier at local sellers in Ukraine. Thank you for advice.

Jun 4, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #1,491 of 2,569
I am posting this on this thread because R2R 11 is my preferred DAC/AMP but this recent discovery is really profound and I my belief is that it will soon be common knowledge.
Please note that this benefits directly only people who use SPDIF/I2S converters or other DC-powered equipment, not R2R 11 owners who use straight USB connection.

After getting the AC iPurifier my system became more resolving and I was able to notice differences between cable changes and inputs more easily. So I experimented re-introducing the Singxer F1 between my laptop and R1R 11. This time the F1 came out as slightly superior to the Amanero USB input. Before the ac iPurifier F1 it sounded softer, Amanero had more character. Now the F1 leaded on musicality and finesse, attack and drive also not lacking.

It was however the inexpected but wonderful surprise discovery made by Rob(Bob) - known as Tubelover2 on various fora that contributed another leap in quality.

The discovery was made by Tubelover2 on this forum: http://www.usaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1172&start=3480
The appliacation of the concept was further developed here: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/42959-iso-regen-performance-improvement-cheap/

I will try to give a brief explantion of the PoE DC discovery. What Rob found out was that supplying DC power through a cat7 ftp cable to Singxer F1 and in fact to many other DC-powered devices brougth unexpected but remarkable a benefits to the sound: increased soundstage, dynamics and further realism to the sound. Other people after this tried Cat8 with even further gains.

I can confirm this from personal experience that this works and is really REAL.

Inspired by Rob's discovery I took out my soldering iron and multimeter and a piece of Cat7 sftp cable. One one end of the cable I soldered a female DC lead (one pair for DC+ and one pair for ground) and on the other side I soldered a female USB A connector. On the DC side I connected a 5Vdc SMPS followed by DC iPurifier. LPS should work even better but I currently do not have one. On the USB side I connected the Forza Twin USB Cable (https://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=46) with power leg connected to the cat7 cable and the data leg to my latop. Important notice: the 5Vdc power supply must be connected to the same power strip as the R2R 11 to avoid ground loops.

The leap in sound quality is simply amazing. No kidding. Factroring the negligible cost of this addition - incredible value!
There is also an inexpensive way to try this without any soldering - and it is well documented in the above threads.

I took me almost 3 years to reach nearly 100 posts. I do not post unless I feel it is something worth sharing. I may have been wrong with some of my suggestions. But this is not one of those cases.

Cheers. Enjoy the music.

Jun 4, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #1,492 of 2,569
I am posting this on this thread because R2R 11 is my preferred DAC/AMP but this recent discovery is really profound and I my belief is that it will soon be common knowledge.
Please note that this benefits directly only people who use SPDIF/I2S converters or other DC-powered equipment, not R2R 11 owners who use straight USB connection.

After getting the AC iPurifier my system became more resolving and I was able to notice differences between cable changes and inputs more easily. So I experimented re-introducing the Singxer F1 between my laptop and R1R 11. This time the F1 came out as slightly superior to the Amanero USB input. Before the ac iPurifier F1 it sounded softer, Amanero had more character. Now the F1 leaded on musicality and finesse, attack and drive also not lacking.

It was however the inexpected but wonderful surprise discovery made by Rob(Bob) - known as Tubelover2 on various fora that contributed another leap in quality.

The discovery was made by Tubelover2 on this forum: http://www.usaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1172&start=3480
The appliacation of the concept was further developed here: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/42959-iso-regen-performance-improvement-cheap/

I will try to give a brief explantion of the PoE DC discovery. What Rob found out was that supplying DC power through a cat7 ftp cable to Singxer F1 and in fact to many other DC-powered devices brougth unexpected but remarkable a benefits to the sound: increased soundstage, dynamics and further realism to the sound. Other people after this tried Cat8 with even further gains.

Inspired by Rob's discovery I took out my soldering iron and multimeter and a piece of Cat7 sftp cable. One one end of the cable I soldered a female DC lead (one pair for DC+ and one pair for ground) and on the other side I soldered a female USB A connector. On the DC side I connected a 5Vdc SMPS followed by DC iPurifier. LPS should work even better but I currently do not have one. On the USB side I connected the Forza Twin USB Cable (https://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=46) with power leg connected to the cat7 cable and the data leg to my latop. Important notice: the 5Vdc power supply must be connected to the same power strip as the R2R 11 to avoid ground loops.

The leap in sound quality is simply amazing. No kidding. Factroring the negligible cost of this addition - incredible value!
There is also an inexpensive way to try this without any soldering - and it is well documented in the above threads.

I took me almost 3 years to reach nearly 100 posts. I do not post unless I feel it is something worth sharing. I may have been wrong with some of my suggestions. But this is not one of those cases.

Cheers. Enjoy the music.
VilMo, thanks for sharing this!
Unfortunately I'm not an electronic technician, but I have a few people around me, who can help me in this. My English is maybe not enough to understand everything, but I'm afraid, as I can't visualize the drafted scenario, I can't explain the task to them. May I bother you to take a few pictures of the cable and the connections, as well as your whole setup and share them with us? Thanks in advance!

Jun 4, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #1,495 of 2,569

Cheers. Enjoy the music.
A cat7 or cat8 cable provides excellent shielding. The Forza cable is also well shielded and will prevent contamination of the v-bus with its two separate trunks. In my setup, i should benefit from you experience by replacing my dc cable to the f-1 by cat-7 or cat-8. I suspect my cable in not well shielded.

Jun 4, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #1,496 of 2,569
A cat7 or cat8 cable provides excellent shielding. The Forza cable is also well shielded and will prevent contamination of the v-bus with its two separate trunks. In my setup, i should benefit from you experience by replacing my dc cable to the f-1 by cat-7 or cat-8. I suspect my cable in not well shielded.
I guess it is time to eat the pudding :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #1,498 of 2,569
My NFB11.38 just arrive today.

The detail of the sound is very precise.
I not own 11.28 before.

I use Asus xonar st with Burson op amp v.6 swap

NFB11.38 is kind of more detail but I love both

Jun 5, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #1,499 of 2,569
My NFB11.38 just arrive today.

The detail of the sound is very precise.
I not own 11.28 before.

I use Asus xonar st with Burson op amp v.6 swap

NFB11.38 is kind of more detail but I love both
Thanks for your impressions. Would love to hear about differences in sound signature between the 11.38 and R2R-11. I’m getting mine back with the ‘firmware fix’ today so will report back on the ‘pops’ later.

If the pops are gone, I’ll consider adding an NFB-1 ampnto the chain and gain balanced power out. If they’re not, I may opt for a 28.38 all-in-one, hence the question about the 11.38 sound vs R2R.

Jun 5, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #1,500 of 2,569
Thanks for your impressions. Would love to hear about differences in sound signature between the 11.38 and R2R-11. I’m getting mine back with the ‘firmware fix’ today so will report back on the ‘pops’ later.

If the pops are gone, I’ll consider adding an NFB-1 ampnto the chain and gain balanced power out. If they’re not, I may opt for a 28.38 all-in-one, hence the question about the 11.38 sound vs R2R.
Please keep us posted with the popping problem post the firmware update... I'm due to order my R2R soon... If the popping is persistent... I can get the NFB11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back