Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
May 28, 2018 at 6:47 AM Post #1,441 of 2,569
Are you aware the Amanero interface has no 5v pin? It’s disabled by default. Blocking it does nothing.
Blocking 5v on the pc side, reduces the interference of the power 5v line and the digital line 5v inside the cable itself and this is very audible, at least with good cables. Maybe it make sense, when you have noisy 5v pc usb power output(probably this is my case)

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #1,442 of 2,569
Blocking 5v on the pc side, reduces the interference of the power 5v line and the digital line 5v inside the cable itself and this is very audible, at least with good cables. Maybe it make sense, when you have noisy 5v pc usb power output(probably this is my case)
That could be the case indeed. In my case (running off an iMac 27” with an ifi USB purifier), blocking the 5v line made zero audible difference. YMMV as with everything else in this hobby.

May 28, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #1,443 of 2,569
I tried to use eitr but, audioquest carbon usb 0.75m cable with 5v pin isolation gives better sound than stock audio-gd cable->eitr->monster coaxial cable->audio-gd, i used eitr for a few days and returned it back, this is only my IMHO(don't know how your system react on eitr)
Just goes to show ‘common wisdom’ is not always so wise :wink:

May 28, 2018 at 6:58 AM Post #1,444 of 2,569
[Edited by mod]
I conducted a lot of audiences and experiments with this device and not only, so I thought very well before writing about what I wrote about....

p.s. By the way, may opinion is just opinion and not more. If your experience differs from my, not a problem, that's great:wink: Maybe because you hear "yanni" instead of "lorel" - if you know what i mean(that's was joke)

Last edited by a moderator:
May 28, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #1,446 of 2,569
Yes, good point! PC/Mac all have noisy USB power, hence the Eitr/Jitterbug solutions. And a noisy line beside signal cables are probably best avoided.
I conducted a lot of audiences and experiments with this device and not only, so I thought very well before writing about what I wrote about....

p.s. By the way, may opinion is just opinion and not more. If your experience differs from my, not a problem, that's great:wink: Maybe because you hear "yanni" instead of "lorel" - if you know what i mean(that's was joke)
:) :) I hear only yearly!

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #1,447 of 2,569
USB is always a noisy interface, because itself wasn’t designed for Audio performances. Take a look, all DAC are speaking in I2S, and USB will be converted into I2S inside the DAC before decoding.

Is a computer noisy ? No, maybe for a generic and typical consumer grade laptop, PC with a lot of switching power supplies.

A computer built for music performances is not noisy, when it is built with linear PS. Take a look at Sound Gallery PC, and PinkfaunPC, then tell me they are noisy, and that such $100 solution can improve your typical Computer to it level

https://www.audiostream.com/content/sound-galleries-sgm-2015-music-server

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #1,448 of 2,569
Hi - I wasn’t meaning you - you seem to have done your homework. Was talking to that ‘audiophools’ guy...

May 28, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #1,450 of 2,569
Hey guys any updates with the popping problem on the R2R-11?
If it still exists, I can opt for the NFB11 instead
Need your help to make a purchase decision
Hi Nenirohit!
Read back a few pages. There are many comments about this.
The popping problem has been solved. No problem with units, produced after March. Former units can be upgraded with a new firmware.

May 29, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #1,451 of 2,569
For some reason my R2R 11 is having trouble with files sampled at 192kHz. Doesn't matter the format, there is a loud screeching noise with frequent cuts and distortions. Tried using numerous sound drivers (KS, ASIO, wasapi) and the problem persisted on all of them.

Just tested at higher sampling rates by forcing it to upsample in shared mode to 352kHZ and 384kHz and its even worse at those rates. I'm guessing this is a hardware problem at this point.

Anyone have any input on this?

May 29, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #1,452 of 2,569
There is a common agreement, that the R2R-11 struggles with many DSD files, and produces noticeable noise in pianissimo part of high DR acoustic tracks in native DSD mode. but I never heard this problem with high-res. PCM files. I've tested some tracks from McCoy Tyner,Mozart and Muddy Waters right now, but didn't notice any issues.
If you use Foobar2000, please check if PCM to DSD conversion is disabled or not.
What player do you use? If it's possible, please try another software and report here if the problem exists with that.

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #1,453 of 2,569
Funnily enough DSD is working fine for me. I use Foobar mostly but I tried it with JRiver and it persisted.

Also, the problem seems to have gone now. Absolutely no idea what fixed this. I know for a fact that its not player-associated problem.

May 29, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #1,454 of 2,569
For some reason my R2R 11 is having trouble with files sampled at 192kHz. Doesn't matter the format, there is a loud screeching noise with frequent cuts and distortions. Tried using numerous sound drivers (KS, ASIO, wasapi) and the problem persisted on all of them.

Just tested at higher sampling rates by forcing it to upsample in shared mode to 352kHZ and 384kHz and its even worse at those rates. I'm guessing this is a hardware problem at this point.

I'm listening/up-sampling via JRiver @352kHz (Flac and Spotify ) no problem whatsoever

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #1,455 of 2,569

Are you using an optical connection by any chance - I experienced exactly what you’re describing when using a Toslink cable. If so, max sample rate per the R2R 11 spec page is 96 kHz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back