Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
May 18, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #1,426 of 2,577
I'm a relative newbie to the hobby (just a few weeks in). I recently bought some refurbished Audeze EL-8s, and yesterday I received my beyerdyamic DT 1990 PROs (WOW are they good!). I also signed up for the Sennheiser HD 6XX Massdrop.

I'm currently using a JDS Labs The Element at work. Earlier this week I ordered an R2R-11 for home, and from what I've seen in this thread and other reviews, I'm really looking forward to it! The ordering process went smoothly, and communication from Kingwa was excellent.

At some point in the future I may order an NFB-11 as well. It would be fun to compare the two, and the jumpers for filter configuration would be fun to play with.

May 18, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #1,428 of 2,577
I would like again to bring again to everyone's attention a very simple way to improve the SQ for the USB input of R2R11 for free.
The Amanero USB interface does not need power over the USB line and works flawlessly without it (have been using this for months already).
The easiest and easily reversible way to disconnect the power is to but a small piece of tape on pin 1 that carries the 5+V (picture below).
It makes more sense to do it on the USB A connector - i.e. the side of your source (PC/laptop/streamer)
USB-2.0-vs-3.0-Cables.png

I will not go into speculation why this works and has such positive effect but it does raise the SQ considerably.
It also decreases the loudness of the ïnfamous "pop" to negligible levels.
My guess is that this will work on all ADG DACs that have the Amanero Board.
You owe it to yourselves to give it a try!

Tried this, didn't make any difference to the sound or 'pop' at all.

In Audio-gd products, the Amanero Combo 384 have not power supply from computer for the less disturb .

That's probably why :wink:

May 18, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #1,429 of 2,577
I'm a relative newbie to the hobby (just a few weeks in). I recently bought some refurbished Audeze EL-8s, and yesterday I received my beyerdyamic DT 1990 PROs (WOW are they good!). I also signed up for the Sennheiser HD 6XX Massdrop.

I'm currently using a JDS Labs The Element at work. Earlier this week I ordered an R2R-11 for home, and from what I've seen in this thread and other reviews, I'm really looking forward to it! The ordering process went smoothly, and communication from Kingwa was excellent.

At some point in the future I may order an NFB-11 as well. It would be fun to compare the two, and the jumpers for filter configuration would be fun to play with.

Funny I also got a Referbished EL-8 Titanium and have already boxed it up to return. I feel it lack bass and any kind of dynamism and excitement. It's just too flat sounding for me. If I connect it to my desktop DAC/AMP and crank the power it does come alive a bit, but it a bit too loud and vocals/highs can become harsh. It just seems to require too much power for something that is suppose to be portable. Even with the Cipher cable I can't get the volume I want or sound I'd expect.

UPDATE: Still deciding, but might keep these as my LG V30 does a decent job driving the EL-8 Ti when tricked into high impedance mode at or near max volume. At that level it bring out just enough bass and life to possibly keep these.

On the other hand also got the LCD-2C and it very good with excellent bass and very dynamic.

I hear good things about the DT1990, it something I may eventually look to get.

Last edited:
May 21, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #1,430 of 2,577
Hello,

A little off-topic but do you know there's limited run of NFB-11.38?

EHk6F3x.jpg

Difference is the Sabre32 DA chip ES9038 chip, instead of Sabre32 DA chip ES9028 in the NFB-11.28.

May 22, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #1,431 of 2,577
Hello,

A little off-topic but do you know there's limited run of NFB-11.38?

EHk6F3x.jpg

Difference is the Sabre32 DA chip ES9038 chip, instead of Sabre32 DA chip ES9028 in the NFB-11.28.
I do, thank you and ultimately decided I prefer the more organic nature of the ladder DAC, just as I do with the Mimby. It's going to run into a set of studio monitors in my lounge, to replace a much larger set of speakers ... a bit of reorganising :) After reading one of the reviews here somewhere, where the listener placed it into his downstairs system and it outperformed a much more expensive item (if I remember correctly), it can be not only the main lounge hub but also a second HQ head-fi system.

May 28, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #1,433 of 2,577
Just to add to the context, after getting the R2R11 I sold my Marantz HD DAC1, Chord Mojo, iFi nano iUSB3.0, Allo DigiOne player and my Singxer F1 is up for sale still.
Yesterday I removed the iFi iDefender from the chain and find the straight connection laptop->Supra USB with pin # 1 covered->R2R11 even better than with the iDefender (improved dynamics on both sides).
I am waiting for an iFi AC iPurifier next week and will report the effect.
I am loving the R2R11 and it is amazing!
Try using Schiit Eitr it will improve sound considerably. Every one who have the r2r 11 must buy Eitr as it improve SQL too much for price.

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #1,434 of 2,577
My own R2R-11 will be leaving China any day now, looking forward to it. It won't be for desktop use though, it will be a part of a new main system in the lounge, connected to a set of powered studio monitors. A new hub, if you will.

May 28, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #1,435 of 2,577
  • Try using Schiit Eitr it will improve sound considerably. Every one who have the r2r 11 must buy Eitr as it improve SQL too much for price.
    I am planning to try Eitr soon.

May 28, 2018 at 5:24 AM Post #1,436 of 2,577
Try using Schiit Eitr it will improve sound considerably. Every one who have the r2r 11 must buy Eitr as it improve SQL too much for price.
I tried to use eitr but, audioquest carbon usb 0.75m cable with 5v pin isolation gives better sound than stock audio-gd cable->eitr->monster coaxial cable->audio-gd, i used eitr for a few days and returned it back, this is only my IMHO(don't know how your system react on eitr)

May 28, 2018 at 6:46 AM Post #1,440 of 2,577
Are you aware the Amanero interface has no 5v pin? It’s disabled by default. Blocking it does nothing.
That is correct. Any sound differences I imagine would then be due to cable interfaces etc. Far be it from me to say someone didn't hear a difference - I've heard subtleties fro many years - but that 5V pin is definitely not connected in the R2R-11.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back