Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Apr 21, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #1,291 of 2,577
I'm glad you mention this ,don't know about r2r7 but my R2R11 is the only SS I have ever tried that's not lacking in low end department-20Hz region is very well controlled on my LCD-2's and it makes them thump-ers ,almost physical low end on some tracks
I doubt the burn in will make a difference ..I hope not :)

Follow this post that I made in the r2r7 thread

R2r7 upgrade posts

I do not think that the sound will change from basshead level into neutral and transparency by burn-in. You are safe, it will probably be further improve upon what it currently have.

Yes, I do agree that the sub-bass and lower bass on the AudioGD r2r7 is awesome ! Hefty and punchy, slamming. After the upgrades done to it, now it is healthy and punching my heart out. It no longer has that sticky, gooey, gluing together feeling anymore

Apr 21, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #1,292 of 2,577
The r2r 11 does not change very much with burn in. You get cleaner bass and a more detailed sound. Takes 2 weeks or so of continuous playback. I am in love with mine. I can't believe how good it sounds with everything. All genres are rendered extremely well, that amazes me. Tonal richness, and the textures you get are simply unbelievable at that piece point.

Agree with this post in terms of burn-in. The character of the amp certainly doesn’t change. And any change, at least for me, could very well have been perceived as I was getting used to sound. It sounded fantastic since day one and I submit, would be very difficult to beat at the price point.

Apr 21, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #1,293 of 2,577
Agree with this post in terms of burn-in. The character of the amp certainly doesn’t change. And any change, at least for me, could very well have been perceived as I was getting used to sound. It sounded fantastic since day one and I submit, would be very difficult to beat at the price point.
It's just unbelievably good and enjoyable, and anyone with a working pair of ears should agree. And now it seems the popping is fixed ( will try the new fw soon). Some could have an issue with crosstalk between the digital inputs. I don't, i just use usb. Combined with the k553, it makes a perfect office setup.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #1,294 of 2,577
I've had a little listening session this week with R2R11.
HD 800 S was for me the best. Super clean with a lot of detail and fixed 6KHz peak that was apparent on classic HD 800.
DSC_0246.JPG

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #1,298 of 2,577
Yes you’re right. DSD over PCM basically converts all DSD to PCM on the fly, which defeats the purpose of listening to native DSD in the first place.

The noise issues only affect DSD output...even DSD64 and DSD128...play a quiet part of a song and turn the volume right up, you’ll hear a storm of what sounds like radio interference.

It’s a major flaw - and one that Kingwa and Audio-GD have not publicly acknowledged. In fact when it was pointed out to them, they referred me to the note on the website about the popping noises, which is something completely unrelated (for the record I have no issue with the popping noises).

I urge anyone with an R2R-11 to have a listen to a few DSDs, see if they can hear the low level noise that affects them, and then email Audio-GD to demand a firmware fix or any other workable solution. They’re basically selling a device that claims to play native DSD but effectively doesn’t.
The house renovation is over, therefore I could get my desktop PC with the properly configured Foobar 2000 back.
Unfortunately I can confirm that the SACD DSD playback noise issue is there if I use the native DSD or DSD+PCM output mode. It doesn't matter which DSD output device is activated nor the ASIO driver adjustments, neither the DSD processor setup. The digital noise is there during most SACD DSD,/ISO file playback which contains quiet parts as it was mentioned earlier . When I change the output mode to PCM, the noise completely disappears, but it is not pure DSD playback, which means, the R2R-11 doesn't utilize its DSD capabilities -afaik-. The problem is more upfront when I listen to high dynamic range classical orchestral music and less noticeable with rock, jazz or more compressed DR albums.

I'll test this problem tonight with my ASUS ultrabook using the same FB2000 settings there and will come back with the results but right now I'm highly disappointed in this issue. :frowning2:
Native DSD playback was one of my main aspect during the HP DAC selection process.

If you know any remedy, please let me know the required button, setup, plug-in or feature which helps Foobar 2000 and Audio-gd R2R-11 in a satisfying pure DSD playback.

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #1,299 of 2,577
None that I’m aware of unfortunately. Two issues are:
- pops between tracks of different bitrates/frequencies (fixed in firmware released by AGD); workaround is upsampling all tracks to max rate
- DSD noise issues (no fix); workaround is downsampling / converting to PCM

May 3, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #1,300 of 2,577
None that I’m aware of unfortunately. Two issues are:
- pops between tracks of different bitrates/frequencies (fixed in firmware released by AGD); workaround is upsampling all tracks to max rate
- DSD noise issues (no fix); workaround is downsampling / converting to PCM

For the sake of demonstrating the problem, here is a link to some files which was recorded by me.
They are low quality records as I used my HPs and an LG V20, but I'm sure even if there is some background noise, you can hear the annoying digital noise at the beginning of the DSD tracks. For reference, I included two other files which will refer to PCM mode during the playback.
DSD and PCM playback
DSD in file names means DSD output mode
PCM in file names means PCM playback

I've sent an e-mail to Magna Hifi with my observations as well.
They were very cooperative and helpful during the sales process and I believe they will do their best to solve this problem.

May 3, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #1,304 of 2,577
Thanks for your support Whitigir!
No, I don't have a linear power supply.
Would You like to know whether the R2R-11 is collecting digital noise via the USB cable from the computer?
That was the first idea which came into my mind, but even if this is an option, there is only a small chance on it. This is why:
  • Before my first comment regarding this issue, I've tried 6 usb ports on the PC and two additional USB hubs also.
  • There is not a single sign of this digital noise in DSD to PCM conversion mode, or with any kind of lossless or lossy files with the same HW setup.
  • Additionally, when I try the same track several times the noise patterns sound very similar during every replay.
I will try this with JRiver if that player has native DSD support, and I'll evaluate the problem on my ultrabook as soon as possible.

Edit: Same digital noise with Jriver native DSD mode... :frowning2:

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #1,305 of 2,577
Actually, I found USB input to be full of “errors” in my venture with the R2R-7. I had to replace the internal wirings to finally get to love it. I just wonder if you have that isolator stack. If you don’t, you can try different DSP ? I know Dithering and PLLEN can help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back