Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Mar 12, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #1,187 of 2,569
why does't schiit make a god damn switch on the magni 3 so I can swap between speakers and headphones....

It would definitely be nice if Schiit had output switches on their amps instead of plugging/unplugging the headphones.

Mar 12, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #1,188 of 2,569
I always considered the mimby/magni3 combo to be more "cold" and "sterile"...but it's actually quite lush and musical compared to the 11.28...I am really not a fan of how analytical and processed it sounds...

keep in mind i ditched a heritage and lcx because it was too 'warm' and 'gooey' so i am not pro 'lush'

i'm gonna try to **** with the filters. does AudioGD include the jumpers for that? or am i gonna have to order jumpers off of amazon...

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #1,189 of 2,569
Warmed up about 3 hours. I like the bass more right now, but there's something I prefer on the mid/upper end with my mimby/magni 3...it sounds less...processed? I don't know. Will revisit in a few days to give my head time to adjust
Maybe give the 11.28/Magni combo a go. See if your treble issue is dac or amp :)

Mar 12, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #1,191 of 2,569
pushed another jumper into FIR 1 (in addition to FIR 0 default), which changes setting to Slow roll-off, Linear: from slow/minimum

MUCH better. Still not as organic as my mimby/magni 3, but WAY closer. like, this made the difference between me selling it and keeping it I think...

I am so curious about the R2R now...

Mar 12, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #1,192 of 2,569
pushed in the two jumpers to make it "warmer"....maybe because it's masking the treble imperfections but these feel even closer my mimby/magni 3 now...I like it a lot...but I do feel I am losing some of the detail I had on the mimby....just a smidge. which is frustrating because the HP-3 has very good detail retrieval...

i feel crazy that such tiny differences seem huge to me.

Mar 12, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #1,193 of 2,569
Give it more than a couple of hours before making any definitive calls :)

Mar 13, 2018 at 3:03 AM Post #1,194 of 2,569
Undid the dark jumpers. Too much loss of clarity on a resolving set of cans like the HP-3. Still running the linear filter.

Overall 11.28 impression: I like the bass and mids. Tighter, more present respectively. Treble, cymbals, some vocals feel inorganic and processed? Soundstage feels less wide. I was able to tell which DAC/AMP combo (Mimby/Magni 3 vs 11.28) was which in 8/10 tries, blinded. Female vocals lack the clarity on 11.28 compared to the mimby/magni.

Going to bed now; promise I'll listen for a few more days before I make any rash decisions about selling.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 3:27 AM Post #1,195 of 2,569
Undid the dark jumpers. Too much loss of clarity on a resolving set of cans like the HP-3. Still running the linear filter.

Overall 11.28 impression: I like the bass and mids. Tighter, more present respectively. Treble, cymbals, some vocals feel inorganic and processed? Soundstage feels less wide. I was able to tell which DAC/AMP combo (Mimby/Magni 3 vs 11.28) was which in 8/10 tries, blinded. Female vocals lack the clarity on 11.28 compared to the mimby/magni.

Going to bed now; promise I'll listen for a few more days before I make any rash decisions about selling.
Sound like you're hearing the difference between multibit (Mimby) and Delta Sigma (11.28). Organic vs digital. Clinical vs musical. That's why I got the R2R-11, pops and DSD issues be damned, the sound is insane. You'd struggle to find a better all-in-one for $1000 more.

Mar 13, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #1,196 of 2,569
As my home is under a huge renovation, my desktop PC with the perfectly configured Foobar 2000 player is packed away, but I was curious about the mentioned DSD playback issue. I've evaluated the problem with my Asus Zenbook laptop using Musicbee, Amareno Asio Driver, USB-C to USB 3 adapter, the R2R-11 and my Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro 250ohm headphones .
A couple of well-known DFF files were used during the test because Musicbee -as far as know- doesn't support SACD iso files. I was aware about all the nuances during the setup and the playback.

The sound was detailed, punchy and organic with every single files. I haven't found any of the mentioned issues in my system.
All in all it was a pleasure to listen to DSD music using the R2R-11 in this very chain.

Mar 13, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #1,197 of 2,569
Sound like you're hearing the difference between multibit (Mimby) and Delta Sigma (11.28). Organic vs digital. Clinical vs musical. That's why I got the R2R-11, pops and DSD issues be damned, the sound is insane. You'd struggle to find a better all-in-one for $1000 more.

Thanks. So if you're running Spotify and you click forward on a song there can be popping?

Mar 13, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #1,198 of 2,569
Part of me is worried that I am not hearing the difference between DACs but rather amps....maybe I just like the Magni 3 sound signature?

Mar 13, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #1,200 of 2,569
Part of me is worried that I am not hearing the difference between DACs but rather amps....maybe I just like the Magni 3 sound signature?

Have you tried using the DAC out to the Magni 3 to see if there is a difference?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back