Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Jan 9, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #602 of 2,569
Gonna test a spdif

Um, isn't usb data just 1's an 0's O.o which then get converted to Analog within the DAC itself... I'm thoroughly confused right now.
The jitter characteristic has an impact on sound. With any dac. So two different digital sources playing the same exact bits will sound different. Timing matters greatly. The latest audio-gd r2r dacs have powerful reclockers on board so it narrows down the differences. I don't kmow if the usb module's output is reclocked with the r2r 11. Maybe it does not reclock, i would have to ask Kingwa. It seems the nfb-11.28 has no reclocker though. The Sabre chip does input switching and all,

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #604 of 2,569
It really does makes a difference though. Also you need to stop treating the R2R-11 like other sub $500 audio equipment, it really punches way above its weight.
Im with you on that one, my 11.28 sounds just as good as my other $$$ amp! Would you say the Schiit would benefit one of these amps more than the other, or both the same? They both come with the Amanero combo 384 USB interface. Which to my understanding help clean up any digital interference?

Jan 9, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #606 of 2,569
Im with you on that one, my 11.28 sounds just as good as my other $$$ amp! Would you say the Schiit would benefit one of these amps more than the other, or both the same? They both come with the Amanero combo 384 USB interface. Which to my understanding help clean up any digital interference?
From what I've gathered, the Amanero cleans up the distortion mess and is a really well made usb interface but what the Schiit eater does is takes that USB source signal, scrubs it till it's sparkling clean and sends that signal via SPDIF coaxial for literally trash free audio signal. I ordered one. if people are buying 600 dollar usb cables and coaxial cables, its gotta be the real deal.

Jan 9, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #607 of 2,569
From what I've gathered, the Amanero cleans up the distortion mess and is a really well made usb interface but what the Schiit eater does is takes that USB source signal, scrubs it till it's sparkling clean and sends that signal via SPDIF coaxial for literally trash free audio signal. I ordered one. if people are buying 600 dollar usb cables and coaxial cables, its gotta be the real deal.[/QUOTE
From what I've gathered, the Amanero cleans up the distortion mess and is a really well made usb interface but what the Schiit eater does is takes that USB source signal, scrubs it till it's sparkling clean and sends that signal via SPDIF coaxial for literally trash free audio signal. I ordered one. if people are buying 600 dollar usb cables and coaxial cables, its gotta be the real deal.
USB cables just transfer data, that's another dabate if a $600 usb can transfer that data any better. Kinda like the HDMI cables, gold plated are better! Not. Really curious about the SPIDF route though.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #608 of 2,569
USB cables just transfer data, that's another dabate if a $600 usb can transfer that data any better. Kinda like the HDMI cables, gold plated are better! Not. Really curious about the SPIDF route though.
Well obviously... but people are buying 600 dollar cables for a 179 dollar component which I find funny. SPDIF isn't gonna do anything better if the signal still has the same interference from the source.

Jan 9, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #609 of 2,569
@FredA Please ask Kingwa about it (reclocking)

On audio-GD it says:
Since 11st Dec, below models have built in USB Isolator:
R2R 7, Master 7, Master 11, NFB-7.77, NFB-27.77
Below models can select as an upgrade option:
R2R 1, R2R 2, NFB-1, NFB-28, NFB-29

Ok that doesn't apply to R2R 11 and NFB 11.28.
So does Eitr make sense only for R2R 11 or also for NFB 11.28 (or does the Sabre chip help here)?

And what about the IFI USB3 isolators and purifiers and what else? I don't look through their many products. Are they better than Eitr?
Some of them support DSD but I don't need it yet.

Another question:
What USB cable do you use for Eitr? Can you use the Audio-GD provided USB cable? Is it sufficient or the Schiit PYST USB cable? also need a coax cable which is good...

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #610 of 2,569
I asked Kingwa where the reclocking, data processing and input switching was done on the r2r 11. Simple: it's all done by the da-8 modules. Quite amazing really since Kingwa is able to get rid of many conponents this way. Judging by how the unit sounds, this design is very efficient and ingenious. So yes, reclocking is done. I know the sabre chip does accomplish similar function with the nfb11.28.

It does not mean that a Schiit Eitr can't improve its sound. It very well could because of how it isolates the pc, because it has fancy regulation and a dedicated transfo. The amanero is excellent but with added isolation to the pc, it can be improved, as a proof isolation is now offered by audio-gd on most gears (except the nfb11 and r2r 11). Also the Schiit Eitr costs half what the r2r 11 does just by itself.

I would not expect a major improvment because the r2r 11 sounds really really good already. It has a soundstage quality i really was not expecting.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #611 of 2,569
Im trying to decide if i should go for the r2r 11 or NFB-11.28 for my brand new pair of LCD2s last revision. I prefer the R2R 11 but i hear its a bit warm, and the LCD2s are also on the warm side so im a bit afraid they wont pair good. Can you guys throw me some light here?

Jan 10, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #612 of 2,569
Hello,

so far I had Aune S16 DAC. In my system it turned out to be better than the Naim DAC V1.
Do you think this R2R-11 is comparable to Aune S16?
I only need a DAC.
The speakers are the WLM La Scala Monitor
The amplifier is Jolida JD302 BRC

Greetings,
Simon

Jan 10, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #613 of 2,569
Im trying to decide if i should go for the r2r 11 or NFB-11.28 for my brand new pair of LCD2s last revision. I prefer the R2R 11 but i hear its a bit warm, and the LCD2s are also on the warm side so im a bit afraid they wont pair good. Can you guys throw me some light here?

I wouldn’t call it warm. It’s organic, meaning that reproduction is not over-emphasized or overly crisp, like they can be with certain Delta Sigma dacs (Sabre).

The R2R 11 is highly resolving. I’ve used it with Planars like the Fostex T50rp mk3 and it’s a dream combo. Clarity, speed, quick transcients, textured bass. Personally I will never go back to D/S dacs.

Jan 10, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #614 of 2,569
I wouldn’t call it warm. It’s organic, meaning that reproduction is not over-emphasized or overly crisp, like they can be with certain Delta Sigma dacs (Sabre).

The R2R 11 is highly resolving. I’ve used it with Planars like the Fostex T50rp mk3 and it’s a dream combo. Clarity, speed, quick transcients, textured bass. Personally I will never go back to D/S dacs.

Thanks for your input. Now im ready to pull the trigger on the R2R, i have a Chinese friend who is travelling soon to Beijing so double win win! Hope it lives along well with my lcd2s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back