Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Sep 12, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #1,936 of 2,569
You know I had picked up this notion since first looking into the R2R11 that the mimby was a ''hybrid'' and not true R2R but you just made me realise that is completely wrong, I thought it could instead be that discrete resistor ladder R2R are ''better'' but I cant find anything saying that is the case either, what I did find is people praising the mimby for it's unique sound that even some of the most expensive DS DACs cant capture... so you are right then, it does exist after all!

As most probably already know there is another low cost discrete ladder R2R DAC, the Massdrop Airist Audio R2R DAC. about the same price as R2R11 plus the dreaded massdrop waiting times ... still good too see more R2R options hitting the market and it could be a great DAC, will have to wait for a comparison with the mimby.
Interesting. But between me and my r2r-11, it's true love. It's for as long as it will last, 15 years or more.

Sep 13, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #1,941 of 2,569
Well, the R-1/R-28, but that’s $$$.
There is also the Airist dac, offered by Massdrop for 350$. You have to have an external lps so add it to the price. It has better s/n than the r2r 11 but an order of magnitude more distorsion, assuming thr r2r-11 is thre same as the r2r-2. And it does not have a hp amp nor a discrete non feedback output stage like the r2r 11 does. Kingwa would be able to produce a much cheaper dac following thre same recipe but i doubt he will do it. The r2r 11 has an old school high-end architecture and it's great as it is.

https://darko.audio/2018/06/airist-audios-r-2r-dac-350-via-massdrop/

Sep 13, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #1,943 of 2,569
More expensive R2R dacs won't guarantee me the same pleasure as I get with my R2R11.
Sure I'll get more details etc, if that was my goal I'd go for delta sigma and call it a day.
That’s the point. You can get the same intangibly smooth and analogue sound as the R2R-11 with extra detail and soundstage without having to go all digital. I wanted more detail but also that same distinct R2R sound. I also wanted to use my headphones balanced, hence the upgrade. If you don’t need more detail or balanced output, the R2R-11 is perfect (and much cheaper!).

Sep 13, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #1,944 of 2,569
There is also the Airist dac, offered by Massdrop for 350$. You have to have an external lps so add it to the price. It has better s/n than the r2r 11 but an order of magnitude more distorsion, assuming thr r2r-11 is thre same as the r2r-2. And it does not have a hp amp nor a discrete non feedback output stage like the r2r 11 does. Kingwa would be able to produce a much cheaper dac following thre same recipe but i doubt he will do it. The r2r 11 has an old school high-end architecture and it's great as it is.

https://darko.audio/2018/06/airist-audios-r-2r-dac-350-via-massdrop/
If the Airist comes close to the R2R-11 I’ll be very impressed.

Sep 13, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #1,945 of 2,569
More expensive R2R dacs won't guarantee me the same pleasure as I get with my R2R11.
Sure I'll get more details etc, if that was my goal I'd go for delta sigma and call it a day.
The r2r-11 has exceptional tonal balance and is very very good at imaging. With plenty of details and never in your face. It has a very natural sound. It often amazes with its timbre accuracy and its capacity to make the performer's brio come through. It makes music so enjoyable.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #1,947 of 2,569
The r2r-11 has exceptional tonal balance and is very very good at imaging. With plenty of details and never in your face. It has a very natural sound. It often amazes with its timbre accuracy and its capacity to make the performer's brio come through. It makes music so enjoyable.
I am loving mine and will not need an upgrade either for the price this was a steal. The back to front imaging as well as the width is just right my T1.1 are just my perfect match with this, its like "yeah that's it don't move, ive found it" it is just what my mind wants to hear, happy days..:blush:

Sep 14, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #1,948 of 2,569
Using my ZMF Auteur Blackwood. It's quite noticable. Overall the R28 is superior in many dimensions (soundstage, clarity, bass control), but the R2R-11 has this enjoyable distortion in the mids or something that makes it addicting. And way more sub bass. R28 has better controlled and precise bass. It's noticeably higher res, esp with 8X OS.

I don't have anything to compare the R2R with right now, but I wish I could achieve the same sound signature on the go, that's why I bought a Cayin N3. The truth is that as much I like my R2R, sitting in my desk doesn't excite me as much as listening to music when walking or carrying on activities (being more active). Sitting in front of a computer all day can suck the life out of you and not make you enjoy the music as much (at least in my case), therefore sometimes I think a more analytical sound would match the static position in front of the desk where you focus a bit more.

And yes! I think it is that midrange something that makes the sound more analog and organic, for example male voices may sound more raspy making it feel that they are giving it they all with their throat, specially with HD600, the midrange cans. The R2R sound is indeed exotic, I just wish I had another unit that is more clinical to know 'how much more' exotic the R2R.

Sep 14, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #1,949 of 2,569
To everyone who hasn't tried the R2R11 with 5v pin blocked on the usb cable, try it, like turning it into a different device, YMMV depends on how noisy your pc is.

I did this and could hear a tiny improvement, nothing crazy. Also my R2R power chord has peeled, I'm worried that this is affecting the signal so will buy a new power cable (or that I will touch it with my bare foot), but everything sounds good regardless. Will also pick a jitter bug and audioquest forest usb to see if sound improves a tiny bit, if it doesn't I'll be pretty upset for spending that money.

Sep 14, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #1,950 of 2,569
Sorry for posting so much but has anyone tried the R2R with a Darkvoice 336? I really want to get tubes for my HD600's, however I feel I will be adding to much coloration though but who knows, if you have paired them please let me know how that went. Plus the cost for extra tubes! this audio thing is a rabbit hole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back