Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Sep 14, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #1,951 of 2,569
Sorry for posting so much but has anyone tried the R2R with a Darkvoice 336? I really want to get tubes for my HD600's, however I feel I will be adding to much coloration though but who knows, if you have paired them please let me know how that went. Plus the cost for extra tubes! this audio thing is a rabbit hole.
Best results I've ever had pairing 336se was with Topping D50 (power bank),unfortunately R2R11 give me ground loop ,MelonHead mention having better results with his new 336se

Sep 14, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #1,952 of 2,569
Best results I've ever had pairing 336se was with Topping D50 (power bank),unfortunately R2R11 give me ground loop ,MelonHead mention having better results with his new 336se

Oh I see, hopefully MelonHead can help me decide :gs1000smile: You're my wallet's master as of now, it will do as you say.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #1,953 of 2,569
I don't have anything to compare the R2R with right now, but I wish I could achieve the same sound signature on the go, that's why I bought a Cayin N3.
Interesting, I also bought the N3, and never want for anything else when I’m traveling with it. It really is a superb little dap - so much so that I went all out to create custom firmware for it (and Cayin don’t make that an easy job!).

Off topic but if they make a similar sounding ‘N4’ with non-Android wireless access to my Audirvana+ library at home and Tidal on the go, I’ll be at dap endgame. Already at desktop amp/dac/headphone endgame, so portable is the final frontier.

Sep 15, 2018 at 4:42 AM Post #1,954 of 2,569
I did this and could hear a tiny improvement, nothing crazy. Also my R2R power chord has peeled, I'm worried that this is affecting the signal so will buy a new power cable (or that I will touch it with my bare foot), but everything sounds good regardless. Will also pick a jitter bug and audioquest forest usb to see if sound improves a tiny bit, if it doesn't I'll be pretty upset for spending that money.

I can recommend Supra usb and block it's 5v pin. They pretty much believe in no bull tech in a reasonable price.

Sep 15, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #1,955 of 2,569
Interesting, I also bought the N3, and never want for anything else when I’m traveling with it. It really is a superb little dap - so much so that I went all out to create custom firmware for it (and Cayin don’t make that an easy job!).

Off topic but if they make a similar sounding ‘N4’ with non-Android wireless access to my Audirvana+ library at home and Tidal on the go, I’ll be at dap endgame. Already at desktop amp/dac/headphone endgame, so portable is the final frontier.

Yeah I can tell you have a nice set up! My Cayin attempted delivery but I wasn't home so I'll pick up Monday, I am excited and glad to know it will be good. I bought a pair of m60xs which sound good, what I don't like is that they are really awkward to carry around, look big, and don't feel too secure, as opposed to my v-modas which are built like tanks and fold, also the ability to take calls is really useful on the go, but don't sound as good. This is preventing me from enjoying the m60x's. If you know of a good portable let me know.

I can recommend Supra usb and block it's 5v pin. They pretty much believe in no bull**** tech in a reasonable price.

AUD$ 80 for the Supra, have you tried it and noticed an improvement? If so let me know, I'm afraid of spending money pimpin' my R2R and getting no noticeable improvement, when I perhaps I should be saving money for headphones or a tube amp instead.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #1,957 of 2,569
Yeah I can tell you have a nice set up! My Cayin attempted delivery but I wasn't home so I'll pick up Monday, I am excited and glad to know it will be good. I bought a pair of m60xs which sound good, what I don't like is that they are really awkward to carry around, look big, and don't feel too secure, as opposed to my v-modas which are built like tanks and fold, also the ability to take calls is really useful on the go, but don't sound as good. This is preventing me from enjoying the m60x's. If you know of a good portable let me know.
Send me a PM and we can discuss the N3 and portable pairings. As for the R2R-11 and USB cables, I've never been convinced, although I do have an ifi iSilencer 3 that I picked up a while back as part of a deal, which probably keeps even the most basic USB cable dead silent for much less money than one of those fancy cables and blocking power pins. To be honest I can't tell the difference between the stock USB cable with and without the iSilencer from my Mac, hence my skepticism. I am yet to read one convincing post anywhere that describes, in real, understandable language, the actual differences (and degree of differences) between good and 'bad' USB cables - as in, for example, "on this song at this point, with the stock USB the vocals are notably smoothed out and lacking definition compared to USB cable X". Until someone can actually put a finger on the quantitative and qualitative differences with real world examples, I'll continue calling BS.

Sep 15, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #1,959 of 2,569
Blacker background, highs opened up and sound became more neutral. With the stock cable - top a bit recessed, noisier background and sweeter midrange. If I switch back to it I suddenly feel like something's bothering me. Obvious results were with all headphones I've owned but most apparent with my old T1 limited edition, with stock cable the sound was way too sweet and soft, the Supra usb fixed it.

Sep 15, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #1,960 of 2,569
I recommend them cause I'm using it. Can't go back to stock cable.

Wow, I'll have to give it a try, 'can't go back to stock cable' seems like a solid statement since I'm currently using stock.
Send me a PM and we can discuss the N3 and portable pairings. As for the R2R-11 and USB cables, I've never been convinced, although I do have an ifi iSilencer 3 that I picked up a while back as part of a deal, which probably keeps even the most basic USB cable dead silent for much less money than one of those fancy cables and blocking power pins. To be honest I can't tell the difference between the stock USB cable with and without the iSilencer from my Mac, hence my skepticism. I am yet to read one convincing post anywhere that describes, in real, understandable language, the actual differences (and degree of differences) between good and 'bad' USB cables - as in, for example, "on this song at this point, with the stock USB the vocals are notably smoothed out and lacking definition compared to USB cable X". Until someone can actually put a finger on the quantitative and qualitative differences with real world examples, I'll continue calling BS.

And also yes, these are the kind of opinions that keep me from buying an aftermarket USB cable, I've read that USB cables just carry digital signals while other digress and say that it does make a difference. If I end buy cables and end up not noticing any differences at least I'll know better next time, the issue is this costs money haha :frowning2:

Sep 15, 2018 at 6:01 AM Post #1,961 of 2,569
Basically I'm not a cable guy, purchased the supra cause I needed another usb for my CMA600i, first "hifi" usb cable purchase, didn't expect for results but there are. Maybe my laptop is noisy? I'm not towards hyping cables just my 2 cents.

Sep 15, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #1,962 of 2,569
Basically I'm not a cable guy, purchased the supra cause I needed another usb for my CMA600i, first "hifi" usb cable purchase, didn't expect for results but there are. Maybe my laptop is noisy? I'm not towards hyping cables just my 2 cents.
That's a good honest answer. Even if the difference is placebo, if you can hear it and you prefer it, it's a good investment. Personally I like my mids a bit sweeter and highs a touch rolled, so the stock is probably the "better" option. @Lushy Brushy just because something makes a difference doesn't mean it's a good difference; depends what sound you're after.

Sep 15, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #1,963 of 2,569
Blacker background, highs opened up and sound became more neutral. With the stock cable - top a bit recessed, noisier background and sweeter midrange. If I switch back to it I suddenly feel like something's bothering me. Obvious results were with all headphones I've owned but most apparent with my old T1 limited edition, with stock cable the sound was way too sweet and soft, the Supra usb fixed it.

These are the impressions I currently get with my R2R, that the highs are a bit recessed, both with my HD600's and K712's, there is not that 'splash' that I would like with cymbals. I can also see how the midrange is sweet but I think these may be attributes of the R2R itself. Will give the supra cable a try regardless as well as a jitterbug and see for myself.

That's a good honest answer. Even if the difference is placebo, if you can hear it and you prefer it, it's a good investment. Personally I like my mids a bit sweeter and highs a touch rolled, so the stock is probably the "better" option. @Lushy Brushy just because something makes a difference doesn't mean it's a good difference; depends what sound you're after.

Yes, I'm not sure now, I also like the sweetness of the unit, it gives it an analog vintage sound, feels like I'm listening to a warm Sunday afternoon at 12:00pm (glorious). If it changes the sound and I don't like it I can always revert back to stock and be stuck with a cable that I don't want hehe.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #1,964 of 2,569
Wow, I'll have to give it a try, 'can't go back to stock cable' seems like a solid statement since I'm currently using stock.

And also yes, these are the kind of opinions that keep me from buying an aftermarket USB cable, I've read that USB cables just carry digital signals while other digress and say that it does make a difference. If I end buy cables and end up not noticing any differences at least I'll know better next time, the issue is this costs money haha :frowning2:
All cables can make a difference. I even compared a $100 good LH USB cable and DH lab mirage USB cable $200, placed pregalvanic isolation. The DH lab gives more refined and controlled sound with less harshness. LH may be a bit more open. Replacing a cheap stock with the LH lab USB pregalvanic makes huge difference though at the same time I shortened the post galvanic isolation by using Regen USB adaptor. Perhaps shortening theUSB to just a good adaptor is best. If u don’t want to spend much just connect all with Regen USb adaptors though u would need to place the labtop or computer behind the R2R and also tilt the computer vertically as the audio-gd USB is vertical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back