Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Jun 24, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #1,653 of 2,569
Is there a consensus on how frequently R2R11 is upgraded

If i purchased it today, it wont be great to see an upgrade released within a month

If i purchased it today, it wont be great to see an upgrade released within a month
Upgrades/updates with audio-gd are evolutive, never a night and day difference. They continuously improve their products, but the base stays the same for years in general. There should not be any very significant change to the r2r 11 for a couple of years

Jun 24, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #1,654 of 2,569
As an Amiron Home owner, I can definitely recommend it. It is a very detailed headphone, without any hint of treble fatigue. It is not bright at all. You can hear everything that is present in the recording. Soundstage is very impressive, as is imaging. I think you would be very impressed with this headphone. This headphone is actually one of the recommended upgrades from the HD650/HD6XX/HD600. It just does everything better.
One more vote for the Beyerdynamic Amiron Home. I enjoy every single moment with the R2R-11 and Amiron Home combo, and never get fatigued with the sound. Even if just for fun and curiosity, I'm thinking on a valve amplifier, this setup, as the base of my listening chain will be with me for a few years for sure.

Jun 24, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #1,656 of 2,569
Guys, out of all the headphones I've used with the R2R11, the AKG K240DF is simply the best experience I've had with it, and quite cheap aswell.
Not HD800 nor the T1 gave me that pleasure like the K240DF gives with the R2R11.
I highly recommend trying this combo as this is my end game indeed.
This made me pull out my DT 880 Pro 250's,swapped pads to originals and I was very impressed what R2R11 can do with cheap cans ,totally different musical tonality ,from lack of bass to very satisfying-full impact and W shape it seams
R2R can do wonders with some cans I guess

Jun 24, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #1,657 of 2,569
One more vote for the Beyerdynamic Amiron Home. I enjoy every single moment with the R2R-11 and Amiron Home combo, and never get fatigued with the sound. Even if just for fun and curiosity, I'm thinking on a valve amplifier, this setup, as the base of my listening chain will be with me for a few years for sure.

Great post. My Beyerdynamic Amiron Home will be in tomorrow from Amazon, very excited to test with the R2R 11. Hopefully they will be the upgrade to the HD6XX I was looking for. If not at least Amazon has a good return policy haha.

Jun 24, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #1,658 of 2,569
You are in for a treat with the Amiron Home. You will hear details in music that you have never heard before. This headphone is very revealing, without showing any hint of harshness or being too bright. I am sure you will be impressed.

Jun 25, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #1,659 of 2,569
WOW! What the R2R has done for the Sennheiser HD430SLs! Listening right at this moment, using the stunningly fine Two Men With The Blues album, AIFF files from iTunes through the usual Jitterbug, Kimber cable to the USB input of the R2R. Talk about revealing, both the album and the R2R with these cans. They are a little brightly lit mid-forward for my preference, but it's just their sonic sig, which is a different flavour to my goto HD540 Ref1s. Still using the Ref1s pads and inner foams for now, plus the Mogami cable, which allows some stunning detail and fine focus to be so easily available - there is a woman who sneezes at the beginning of Stardust that is so clear and focused in space, it alone is a revelation. Each note on the piano is dynamically clean and clear and never blurred with the next note, same goes for the knockout trumpet playing by Wynton Marsalis ........ make that for every note on all instruments! While being a touch forward, the sheer clarity, definition and lack of harshness is ..... well ... again a revelation. A couple of drum strokes on the snare right at the back of the stage are sublime in their crisp clarity and ambient space. Each string of the double bass plucked in twangy rich clarity, the lower notes of the piano lack sheer weight and therefore ultimate dynamics, yet the clarity is superb and any good pianist could tell you exactly what note was being played. On stage chatter is very clear and focused in space. Rhythmic integrity is as good as the Ref1s and that is really saying something! The HD430SLs just lack the sheer relaxing total 3D immersion of the Ref1s and are not as silky smooth through the mids, a tad less harmonic richness too, yet they have their own sonic benefits and that slightly more brightly lit upper region can benefit some music, although the Ref1s don't lack any ambient detail for that extra smoothness, they just portray it in a silkier darker space.
These HD430SLs are extremely enjoyable through the R2R ..... the clarity of each piano note is fantastic! Another reason why the HD6xx's stay in this household is becoming extremely tenuous ... again. I'm actually hearing some reverb on one of the drums I've never heard before. Vocal diction is knockout in it's definition, these would make - and probably were - fabulous studio monitors, just like the AKG K240DFs. What is it about these 600 ohm cans from the late 80's and into the 90's?
Ah, I've just clicked as to why the soundstage is not as big and 3D as the Ref1s, it's the bass depth. It's like adding a correctly set up sub-woofer in a home system. This same music on the Ref1s seems to extend right down into my chest (always has, even stock years ago) and extends the actual soundstage in perceived height as well as width, even to sounds appearing from behind my ears by, say, 10-15 degrees, the HD430SLs hint at it, keeping their admittedly crispy clear stage in a 180 degree arc over/through my head and to some degree in front. The drum solo at the end of the concert is mind boggling in it's attacking clarity and detail! Where the Ref1s have it is image density and sheer 3D solidity, the actual apparent physical weight of each voice and instrument ... but heck, what a pair these two make! Take a bow, Sennheiser, though I'm not sure you've done better since then for overall performance short of the very best you make.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 2:02 AM Post #1,660 of 2,569
With the HD430s and having a field day! There's just something extra special about the 600 ohm cans, get the right amp with them and they are magic. I've got Brubeck's Take Five on at the moment and it's the dynamic subtlety and range of the various strokes, whether it be on drums, piano, double bass or sax, that floors me. The different sounds from the drum kit is more expressive than I've heard on anything else. Buying this R2R has opened up a whole new world, to hear the ambient decay of the cymbals after the strike is riveting (The Mimby/Magni 3/Ref1s aside, being every bit as knockout in a slightly smoother blend).
I swapped over - briefly! - to the HD6xx while listening to just recorded voice of a YT bulletin and the degradation of pure focused clarity after the 430s was almost horrifying :) An open window compared to a somewhat grimy and sandy one.
I find that an amazing recommendation for the R2R, which, with the HD430s, has not the slightest trace of grain anywhere to be heard and a musical and organic flow and rhythm that not only belies it's price, but a lot of gear vastly more expensive that I remember hearing over the years.
I can barely believe what I've been missing out on with Take Five at the moment, the whole recording is laid bare, while being totally alive.
King-wa, you're a legend, mate!

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 4:38 AM Post #1,661 of 2,569

Hi,
Kingwa is usually very secret about his intensions and doings to the public. You have to live with the risk... If it is the R2R-11 You are about to buy, You will not regret it anyway.

/Jan

Jun 25, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #1,662 of 2,569
Every R2R dac that he'll make won't sound the same.. so even if you own the R2R11 it's a unique unit already. No body guarantees that you'd like the more expensive and capable dacs over the R2R11 dac.

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:05 AM Post #1,663 of 2,569
Every R2R dac that he'll make won't sound the same.. so even if you own the R2R11 it's a unique unit already. No body guarantees that you'd like the more expensive and capable dacs over the R2R11 dac.
Couldn't agree more. If your budget is in the the R2R-11 ballpark, you won't find a better dac/amp anywhere, from anyone, for the money. If your budget stretches much further, past the $1k mark, then you have a few options, the most compelling of which is the new R-28. All depends what you're after, and what you're willing to spend to get it.

Jun 25, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #1,664 of 2,569
Hi,
Kingwa is usually very secret about his intensions and doings to the public. You have to live with the risk... If it is the R2R-11 You are about to buy, You will not regret it anyway.

/Jan
I'm certainly NOT regretting my decision to go for the R2R! Wow is this thing getting better and better and now that I've discovered how stunningly good the 600 ohm Sennheiser HD430s are with it, my admiration for King-wa and his creations have taken another big leap forward over and above respect. As a long time user of his brilliant Class A adjustable power supplies and a range of the excellent HDAMs I use in various gear, including my highly modded FrankenZero DAC, this absolute musical gem in the form of the R2R has a new 'old' headphone hero in the HD430s! Their capabilities leave the HD6xx sadly lacking and that journey of now having to start anew on my music collection has already taken hold, every one a revelation. A perfect companion for the Ref1s and the Schiit stack.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #1,665 of 2,569
I'm certainly NOT regretting my decision to go for the R2R! Wow is this thing getting better and better and now that I've discovered how stunningly good the 600 ohm Sennheiser HD430SLs are with it, my admiration for King-wa and his creations have taken another big leap forward over and above respect. As a long time user of his brilliant Class A adjustable power supplies and a range of the excellent HDAMs I use in various gear, including my highly modded FrankenZero DAC, this absolute musical gem in the form of the R2R has a new 'old' headphone hero in the HD430SLs! Their capabilities leave the HD6xx sadly lacking and that journey of now having to start anew on my music collection has already taken hold, every one a revelation. A perfect companion for the Ref1s and the Schiit stack.
Sounds like you're getting great enjoyment from it, which is all that really matters in the end. How would you compare the sound go the R2R-11 to the Schiit stack by the way?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back